Sydvaranger Questions

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
krimsonglass51

Sydvaranger Questions

Post by krimsonglass51 » 13 May 2015, 00:55

The Sydvaranger minding company was active during the war years. It was a prime source of raw materials for the Germans under the years of occupation. According to orders from the Wehrmacht leadership, it was to be destroyed during their retreat in 1944 http://www.und.edu/instruct/calberts/Nu ... W_097.html.

I would like to know if Sydvaranger owned any property outside of Norway during WWII, and which facilities/properties were destroyed during the German retreat through northern Finland and northern Norway.

GregSingh

Re: Sydvaranger Questions

Post by GregSingh » 13 May 2015, 04:21

The Sydvaranger minding company was active during the war years. It was a prime source of raw materials for the Germans under the years of occupation.
There was very little shipments to Germany. Mine was closed early in 1942 and reopened briefly in 1944. Not much production in comparison with pre-war years. Kirkenes had other priorities (Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe bases), was frequently bombed by Allies.

What was not bombed by Allies, was destroyed by Germans in October 1944 (with exception of two power plants).

To my knowledge mining company did not own any mining operations outside Norway.

Return to “Economy”