Canada did make a relevant contribution to the war

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 29 Oct 2003, 05:06

Andy H wrote:Mauser K98k wrote:
The Canadians were used as "cannon fodder" at Dieppe. It was a half-baked plan that was doomed to failure from the start.

I wonder if "Monte" would have put a little more thought into "Operation Jubilee" had it been British soldiers hitting the beach?
If I'm then my apologies but I thought that Op Jubilee was after various guises a Earl of Mountbatten project rather than Monty.

Also for all his faults I doubt for one minute that Monty would say "Right send the Canadians to die rather than however", you belittle a man about which you know very little.

Andy H
FYI, I was being facetious with the remark about Monte.
He was reassigned just before the Operation, so he neatly avoided any blame in the fiasco. Mountbatten and Canadian General J H Roberts were made the scapegoats.

I'm not that impressed with Monte, in fact I think he was overrated. But in his defense, he realized the plan was a turkey and recommended it be abandoned.

Len

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 29 Oct 2003, 13:28

The British People and her Government have always had the deepest respect and consideration for all of her allies during the war. Czechs, Poles, Yugoslavs, Norwegians, Dutch, Belgians.

They all gathered in a London which remained, in the minds of the occupied peoples of Europe, the Bastion of Freedom.

It was Hitlers Germany that paid scant regard for her allies, patronizing and using them as cannon fodder, instead of using their "precious" Prussian trained troops.

If the war proved anything that is that national traits appear in a nations fighting men during wars, and that give any man the proper training and equipement and he can duel with the finest German.

Hundreds of Czechs and Poles proved this over the fields of southern England when the only thing that stood between Germany and world domination were a few hundred pilots from around the world, and at first, a Canadian division in the south east of England (the only combat ready formation in all of the British Isles after Dunkirk).

regards,

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 30 Oct 2003, 13:03

Mauser K98k wrote:

Quote:
The Canadians were used as "cannon fodder" at Dieppe. It was a half-baked plan that was doomed to failure from the start.

I wonder if "Monte" would have put a little more thought into "Operation Jubilee" had it been British soldiers hitting the beach?

If I'm then my apologies but I thought that Op Jubilee was after various guises a Earl of Mountbatten project rather than Monty.

Also for all his faults I doubt for one minute that Monty would say "Right send the Canadians to die rather than however", you belittle a man about which you know very little.

Andy H
At the time of the Dieppe raid, Montgomery was commanding 8th Army in Italy, and had absolutely no connection whatsoever with the conception, planning or execution of the raid.

cheers

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 06 Nov 2003, 03:44

There is no doubt that the Canadian contribution during World War II was really important. The Canadians fought in Normandy, Italy, Germany, Hong Kong, they also liberated Holland. They suffered a lot on august 19 1942 during the Dieppe Raid, the most tragic page in Canadian military history.

In the Gulf of St-Lawrence, the U-Boat were at war against Canada and the population was affraid of a German invasion.

Matt H.

Post by Matt H. » 06 Nov 2003, 18:44

When and why was the Canadian contribution to World War II ever in doubt? Or the roles of any other Dominion State for that matter? I don't see why this issue should be contested, really.

Shc

Post by Shc » 22 Sep 2004, 02:57

Deleted
Last edited by Shc on 24 Jun 2005, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

szopen

Post by szopen » 22 Sep 2004, 08:45

Just wondering, what part of those 1,1 million were actually fighting? I was reading that 1,1 million was including reserve etc, of which many never left Canada...

BillHermann

Re: Canada did make a relevant contribution to the war

Post by BillHermann » 09 Mar 2013, 08:20

Not that I like digging up old treads but...

No offence but the ignorance here astounds me. That would be like asking did France, Poland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa make any relevant contribution. The question it's self is bizarre bordering the arrogant. You would think with the amount of Axis / War experts here that this question would have been answered quickly and shut down. The ferocity of the fighting between the 12th SS and the Canadians in Normandy should have been enough.

The United States and the United Kingdom being the top two Canada was number three after the first two with the western allies. Canada was one of the largest contributors to the merchant navy and Atlantic war. Without that the war would have probably been lost. The industries and food production was essential along with the armaments and training. The Canadians were one of the largest regular land defence force in Britian in the early 40s after Dunkirk as most of Britains troops were in North Africa or being rebuilt. Sicily, Italy, Dday, Normandy, Belgium, Holland, Rhineland ( the largest last land battle) and Northern Germany were all Canada's contribution not to mention a large number of fighter and bomber crews.

If Canada wasn't relevant they would not have had their own beach in Normandy, had their own parachute units, fought on their own as Canadians under Canadians in 2 of the larger urban battles in Italy (Ortona) and in Holland (Groningen) The large grave yards filled with Canadians in the The Moro River Canadian War Cemetery, the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery and the Bény-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery are the reminders of the relevance.

Even asking this question would be like asking the same of Hungary, Bulgaria, Italy, and Romania in the first portion of the war. The Germans new very well that they were fighting Canadians and in many instances where there was respect for the Canadians by the Germans and their leaders.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 11 Mar 2013, 13:24

Hi Bill

The ignorance is only held by a few, and you'll never convince 100% on any subject, such is the human psyche :roll:

Regards

Andy H

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 11 Mar 2013, 14:53

In the first post in this thread, it was suggested that Canada had the 4th largest airforce, the 3rd largest navy and the 3rd largest army.

Canada had the 4th largest Allied air force in January 1944, when RCAF strength peaked, but of course the Luftwaffe was still in existence then, so at best the RCAF was the 5th largest air force in the world - if one excludes the JNAF and JAAF. In August 1945 it was the RAAF which was the 4th largest Allied air force, and with the German and Japanese air forces gone, that made it the fourth largest in the world. See the article at http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/CFAWC/ ... orce_e.pdf.

It is not true that the RCN was ever the 3rd largest navy. In 1945 it may have briefly been the 4th largest, depending on what one counts. See my article at http://www.navalreview.ca/wp-content/up ... m3art2.pdf.

As for the Canadian army, its field force consisted of five divisions and two armoured brigades, plus corps and army troops. It was certainly not the 3rd largest Allied army. The Soviet, US, British, French, Indian and Chinese armies were all larger at the end of the war.

I am of course not belittling the contribution of the Canadian forces. (Certainly not - I was a Canadian soldier for 16 years.) I just think that their relative sizes should be made clear. Their actual sizes were significant enough.

Rob

Return to “Economy”