5cm Maschinengranatwerfer M19

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Harpoon

Re: 5cm Maschinengranatwerfer M19

Post by Harpoon » 16 Sep 2011, 23:57

I try to keep the whole model of M19 and regelbau 633 within two uploads on Google as they have 10mb limit on one file. This is one of the reasons some parts will be rudimentary. The elevation part was hard enough to make with 3 parts moving within an object that can be rotated and move up and down. The firing sequence will incredible hard to make within the model with a standard Sketchup version. Many parts of the feed mechanism and barrel lock part are also at present state missing in the model. A manual made animate gif is possible but not planned at this stage. But the model will include: elevate (as shown), rotate 360, raise and lower, up/down periscope and closing top shutter plate among other things such as working doors in model.

Mark89

Post by Mark89 » 17 Sep 2011, 00:25

Harpoon wrote:I try to keep the whole model of M19 and regelbau 633 within two uploads on Google as they have 10mb limit on one file. This is one of the reasons some parts will be rudimentary. The elevation part was hard enough to make with 3 parts moving within an object that can be rotated and move up and down. The firing sequence will incredible hard to make within the model with a standard Sketchup version. Many parts of the feed mechanism and barrel lock part are also at present state missing in the model. A manual made animate gif is possible but not planned at this stage. But the model will include: elevate (as shown), rotate 360, raise and lower, up/down periscope and closing top shutter plate among other things such as working doors in model.
Don't overwork yourself. It's nice enough as is already.
Does anyone happen to have any photo's from the M19 at the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz? Can only find a single photo on the internet and that isn't very detailed. And is anybody able to comment if this specimen is or is not the most complete still in existence today?

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 17 Sep 2011, 10:30

Hello

Something here about the M19 of the Museumscenter Hanstholm:

http://www.museumscenterhanstholm.dk/nyheder/?&PAGE=754

http://www.museumscenterhanstholm.dk/ny ... &PAGE=6239

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Harpoon

Post by Harpoon » 17 Sep 2011, 11:05

Thanks, the nice highres pictures has already been a great help. (and everything Google can find).

Do you know if the 633 drawing resembles the 633 on Hanstholm. Research in this tread seems to indicate that the “old” 633 design only was used on the Channel Islands.

Old design on top.
Attachments
633%20variantes.jpg

Harpoon

Post by Harpoon » 19 Sep 2011, 11:09

The model is now uploaded to Google and can be downloaded by anyone. It’s split in two and open first part 1 select all – copy. Then open part 2 and paste in place. Save it, and you now have a complete model. I use layers extensively in my model so have layers windows visible (menu window – layers)

Last part fixed is the so called bodenstück or weapon machinery. This is the most complicated part of the weapon and far away from the original but now much more detailed thanks to photos I received. Many parts are so called animated and can be automatically moved if you use hand icon in Sketchup.

Thanks to contributors and M19Madmal especially (I sent you an email) for making the detail level possible.

Model can be found here part 1 and part 2:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
My other published models can be found here:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... &scoring=m

Cheers
/Anders
Attachments
M1910.jpg
Shows the rotating machanism (next to hatch) and gizmo to lock platform (to the left)
M1911.jpg
Shows the more detailed bodenstück
M1912.jpg
Completed model

Mark89

Post by Mark89 » 19 Sep 2011, 20:42

Just downloaded it - awesome. My computer doesn't really like 2500 mortar rounds being displayed at once though. :) You know if version 7 handles lots of polygons more elegantly (still using 6 because i hate the way helplines disappear when you zoom in too much in 6)? Also, are animations supported by default on 6 because I can't seem to enable them?

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 19 Sep 2011, 21:12

Harpoon wrote:Thanks to contributors and M19Madmal especially (I sent you an email) for making the detail level possible.
Just replied to the email and no problem, just returning the help that I get from fellow forum users 8-)
Like you I would be struggling if I didn't have those plans :milsmile:

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

Harpoon

Post by Harpoon » 19 Sep 2011, 23:24

Mark89 wrote:Just downloaded it - awesome. My computer doesn't really like 2500 mortar rounds being displayed at once though. :) You know if version 7 handles lots of polygons more elegantly (still using 6 because i hate the way helplines disappear when you zoom in too much in 6)? Also, are animations supported by default on 6 because I can't seem to enable them?
Can’t remember much about version 6 and filesize but they are not a problem on my Intel i7 but all the shells are pain in the … on my slow laptop.

I have noticed that help lines disappear on zoom in ver. 7. They are normally visible in an opposite direction so I just make a new one. Seems to be fixed in ver8. I normally work in ver. 7 std but use a ver 8 pro to make the animated parts. When saving my file as a ver. 6 I noticed that all dynamic parts was stripped of its animated properties so I guess you need a newer version. Version 7std and 8Pro can coexist on same computer so you have to give it a try with 6 and 8 or 7.

Mark89

Post by Mark89 » 20 Sep 2011, 00:16

Harpoon wrote:Can’t remember much about version 6 and filesize but they are not a problem on my Intel i7 but all the shells are pain in the … on my slow laptop.

I have noticed that help lines disappear on zoom in ver. 7. They are normally visible in an opposite direction so I just make a new one. Seems to be fixed in ver8. I normally work in ver. 7 std but use a ver 8 pro to make the animated parts. When saving my file as a ver. 6 I noticed that all dynamic parts was stripped of its animated properties so I guess you need a newer version. Version 7std and 8Pro can coexist on same computer so you have to give it a try with 6 and 8 or 7.
It's an old beastie I have here (Intel E6600 with 7900GTX) so that might explain it. An upgrade is imminent but in the meantime...
*Edit* Just downloaded version 8 and the difference is quite something. Whereas in 6 it was like a slideshow now it is butter-smooth even with the ammo-layer turned on. Seems they have included some type of LOD-system to minimize system-hog. Still can't seem to enable animation though.

Harpoon

Post by Harpoon » 20 Sep 2011, 08:51

Calling it animation is maybe a tall order. But my dynamic objects can move when clicked with interact tool. So the fundamental question is “can you change Susan shirt color?” It’s easier if you have dynamic tools visible. Turn it on in menu View – Toolbars – Dynamic components. The hand icon is highlighted when moved over dynamic components. When selecting a component the Component Option can be selected and gives additional information or options. (The last icon is only available in Pro edition for making dynamic components). Susan is default in a new model in SU8 Sang in SU7.

Sketchup Standard is free an is an entry level 3D software found here: http://sketchup.google.com/

/Anders
Attachments
SU Dynamic comp.jpg

Mark89

Post by Mark89 » 20 Sep 2011, 10:23

Harpoon wrote:Calling it animation is maybe a tall order. But my dynamic objects can move when clicked with interact tool. So the fundamental question is “can you change Susan shirt color?” It’s easier if you have dynamic tools visible. Turn it on in menu View – Toolbars – Dynamic components. The hand icon is highlighted when moved over dynamic components. When selecting a component the Component Option can be selected and gives additional information or options. (The last icon is only available in Pro edition for making dynamic components). Susan is default in a new model in SU8 Sang in SU7.

Sketchup Standard is free an is an entry level 3D software found here: http://sketchup.google.com/

/Anders
It works - makes me feel like a small child in a candystore. :D Never worked with animation before so that might explain it.

wimve

5cm Maschinengranatwerfer M19 - cpu speed

Post by wimve » 20 Sep 2011, 15:37

To all: what also helps to speed things up: look at the model in monochrome not full color.

@Anders: good job !
Thanks,

Wim
www.petromax.nl
3D : http://www.petromax.nl/Hanstholm.html
http://www.petromax.nl/DeBeer.html

Mark89

Re: 5cm Maschinengranatwerfer M19 - cpu speed

Post by Mark89 » 20 Sep 2011, 16:46

wimve wrote:To all: what also helps to speed things up: look at the model in monochrome not full color.

@Anders: good job !
Sketch Up sometimes reverts to monochrome when rotating or moving the scene but that won't do Harpoon's nice clothing cabinet any justice. :)

Natter

Re: 5cm Maschinengranatwerfer M19 - cpu speed

Post by Natter » 20 Sep 2011, 17:17

wimve wrote:@Anders: good job !
+1 (as usual! :) )

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 09 Jan 2012, 13:57

Does anyone know how much spare part boxes should be inside the bunker?
Attachments
20100625_m19-kasten_0008.jpg
20100625_m19-kasten_0009.jpg

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”