Westwall

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jopaerya

Re: Westwall

Post by jopaerya » 20 Oct 2011, 11:22

Hello Sturm78

This is called a "Casemate de Bourges" and were build on French forts from the type of Gen. Séré de Rivières

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&safe= ... a=N&tab=wi

Regards Jos

KaiserChief

Post by KaiserChief » 22 Oct 2011, 09:12

Isn´t this the "Casemate de Bourges" from pre WWI period?

http://www.fortiffsere.fr/cuirassements ... ge2560.htm

V.

JKernwerk

Post by JKernwerk » 22 Oct 2011, 17:43

There were more Casemate de Bourges, they were mostly additions to older fortresses to give the more punch.
JK

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 23 Oct 2011, 21:04

The Casemate de Bourges were used to fill up the interval between the older French forts
from Séré de Rivières , but were placed in a later stadium then the forts themself .

For me a new photo from the visit of Hitler at the Westwall ?? , picture is from Ebay .

Regards Jos
Attachments
westwall Hitler .jpg

Andrzej Ditrich

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 24 Oct 2011, 00:30

Could it be Tubpl?
(entrance in front wall-this could be in combat bunker?)

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 24 Oct 2011, 15:57

Yes Andrew

I think you are right . a Truppenubungsplatz fits much better .

Regards Jos

Sturm78

Post by Sturm78 » 04 Nov 2011, 17:51

Hi all,

I found this image on Ebay. Any idea? :?

Sturm78
Attachments
obstacles.jpg

c_hoff82

Post by c_hoff82 » 28 Nov 2011, 12:31

A very nice picture of a westwall bunker.
Note the outside stove to the rigth of the entrance.

Unfortunately I cant remember were I found the picture.

C. Hoff
Attachments
Herschaalde%20kopie%20van%20088.jpg

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 28 Nov 2011, 12:36

Looks like a 116a

20P7

Post by 20P7 » 29 Nov 2011, 21:10

Good evening Arthur and others,

I doubt that the image shows the entrance section of a R 116b. Instead of that I think this is a R 20. Pleas find attached an image of a still existing R 116b entry section in Saarbrücken. For better comparison I switched the image horizontaly. As you can see the sheltering roof above the Flankierende Anlage and the Pak Tor ends very close to the right side of the Pak Tor. This fits with the drawing in Bettinger / Büren "Der Westwall". Beside that the Flankierende Anlage on the original image does not look as big as it should be with a R 116 in Bneu. If you compare the way the sheltering roof ends above the right side of the Pak Tor this fits pretty much with a R20, also the much smaller Flankierende Anlage would fit.

Regards

Daniel
Attachments
R 116b Dt-Fr.Garten.jpg

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 29 Nov 2011, 23:15

Hi Daniel, think you're right! I shouldn't interfere in Westwall stuff :wink: Any R 20 left?

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 29 Nov 2011, 23:46

c_hoff82 wrote:A very nice picture of a westwall bunker.

C. Hoff
This is not the first time have seen a photo of a Westwall bunker with a stove outside. Was this before the stoves were put inside the bunkers or is there another reason for having the stove outside????

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

Saska

Post by Saska » 30 Nov 2011, 07:16

M19 MADMAL wrote:
c_hoff82 wrote:A very nice picture of a westwall bunker.

C. Hoff
This is not the first time have seen a photo of a Westwall bunker with a stove outside. Was this before the stoves were put inside the bunkers or is there another reason for having the stove outside????

Regards,
Hello

the ofen inside the Westwall bunkers were just made to heat the bunker. Specialy the first or old type of the Westwall ofen. Later types of these ofens had a smale kind of "cooking plate" at the side, but it was still complycated and painfully slow if you were realy hungry. Basicly with this ofens you could worm up the ready made food which was delivered to the bunker but cooked somewhere else.

As we see, these one outside the bunker at the picture is having a real cooking plate. So you can realy cook or even fry something in a pan. Those kind of "extra equipment" or improments around or outside the bunkers happend during the time of the Sitzkrieg when nothing realy happend at the western front. Same time they builded a lot of huts in front of the bunkers.

At least for the upper rhine valley secton of the Westwall I found a lot of documents in the Bundesarchiv Freiburg, which are telling that there wasn t enough field kitchens to make proper food for the troops. The divisons had to improvise by themselfs. Especially the bunkers which had been more isolated and far away from villages had been forced to help themselfs in such a way to make their beeing more comfortable.

Greetings Saska

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 30 Nov 2011, 18:03

Saska wrote:Hello

the ofen inside the Westwall bunkers were just made to heat the bunker. Specialy the first or old type of the Westwall ofen. Later types of these ofens had a smale kind of "cooking plate" at the side, but it was still complycated and painfully slow if you were realy hungry. Basicly with this ofens you could worm up the ready made food which was delivered to the bunker but cooked somewhere else.

As we see, these one outside the bunker at the picture is having a real cooking plate. So you can realy cook or even fry something in a pan. Those kind of "extra equipment" or improments around or outside the bunkers happend during the time of the Sitzkrieg when nothing realy happend at the western front. Same time they builded a lot of huts in front of the bunkers.

At least for the upper rhine valley secton of the Westwall I found a lot of documents in the Bundesarchiv Freiburg, which are telling that there wasn t enough field kitchens to make proper food for the troops. The divisons had to improvise by themselfs. Especially the bunkers which had been more isolated and far away from villages had been forced to help themselfs in such a way to make their beeing more comfortable.

Greetings Saska
Hi Saska,

Thanks for that. :milsmile:

Regards,
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

Jens Andersen

Post by Jens Andersen » 30 Nov 2011, 19:52

It is from here:
http://www.atlantik.nl/

Jens

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”