Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Westwall

Discussions on the fortifications & artillery used by the Axis forces.

Re: Westwall

Postby jopaerya on 20 Oct 2011 10:22

Hello Sturm78

This is called a "Casemate de Bourges" and were build on French forts from the type of Gen. Séré de Rivières

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&safe= ... a=N&tab=wi

Regards Jos
jopaerya
Netherlands

Postby KaiserChief on 22 Oct 2011 08:12

Isn´t this the "Casemate de Bourges" from pre WWI period?

http://www.fortiffsere.fr/cuirassements/index_fichiers/Page2560.htm

V.
KaiserChief
Czech Republic

Postby JKernwerk on 22 Oct 2011 16:43

There were more Casemate de Bourges, they were mostly additions to older fortresses to give the more punch.
JK
JKernwerk
Netherlands

Postby jopaerya on 23 Oct 2011 20:04

The Casemate de Bourges were used to fill up the interval between the older French forts
from Séré de Rivières , but were placed in a later stadium then the forts themself .

For me a new photo from the visit of Hitler at the Westwall ?? , picture is from Ebay .

Regards Jos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jopaerya
Netherlands

Postby Andrzej Ditrich on 23 Oct 2011 23:30

Could it be Tubpl?
(entrance in front wall-this could be in combat bunker?)
Andrzej Ditrich
Poland

Postby jopaerya on 24 Oct 2011 14:57

Yes Andrew

I think you are right . a Truppenubungsplatz fits much better .

Regards Jos
jopaerya
Netherlands

Postby Sturm78 on 04 Nov 2011 16:51

Hi all,

I found this image on Ebay. Any idea? :?

Sturm78
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sturm78
Spain

Postby c_hoff82 on 28 Nov 2011 11:31

A very nice picture of a westwall bunker.
Note the outside stove to the rigth of the entrance.

Unfortunately I cant remember were I found the picture.

C. Hoff
c_hoff82
Norway

Postby AvB on 28 Nov 2011 11:36

Looks like a 116a
AvB
Netherlands

Postby 20P7 on 29 Nov 2011 20:10

Good evening Arthur and others,

I doubt that the image shows the entrance section of a R 116b. Instead of that I think this is a R 20. Pleas find attached an image of a still existing R 116b entry section in Saarbrücken. For better comparison I switched the image horizontaly. As you can see the sheltering roof above the Flankierende Anlage and the Pak Tor ends very close to the right side of the Pak Tor. This fits with the drawing in Bettinger / Büren "Der Westwall". Beside that the Flankierende Anlage on the original image does not look as big as it should be with a R 116 in Bneu. If you compare the way the sheltering roof ends above the right side of the Pak Tor this fits pretty much with a R20, also the much smaller Flankierende Anlage would fit.

Regards

Daniel
20P7
Germany

Postby AvB on 29 Nov 2011 22:15

Hi Daniel, think you're right! I shouldn't interfere in Westwall stuff :wink: Any R 20 left?
AvB
Netherlands

Postby M19 MADMAL on 29 Nov 2011 22:46

c_hoff82 wrote:A very nice picture of a westwall bunker.

C. Hoff

This is not the first time have seen a photo of a Westwall bunker with a stove outside. Was this before the stoves were put inside the bunkers or is there another reason for having the stove outside????

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

See Facebook: "Strongpoint Corbiere, Jersey"
M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter
Jersey

Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Postby Saska on 30 Nov 2011 06:16

M19 MADMAL wrote:
c_hoff82 wrote:A very nice picture of a westwall bunker.

C. Hoff

This is not the first time have seen a photo of a Westwall bunker with a stove outside. Was this before the stoves were put inside the bunkers or is there another reason for having the stove outside????

Regards,

Hello

the ofen inside the Westwall bunkers were just made to heat the bunker. Specialy the first or old type of the Westwall ofen. Later types of these ofens had a smale kind of "cooking plate" at the side, but it was still complycated and painfully slow if you were realy hungry. Basicly with this ofens you could worm up the ready made food which was delivered to the bunker but cooked somewhere else.

As we see, these one outside the bunker at the picture is having a real cooking plate. So you can realy cook or even fry something in a pan. Those kind of "extra equipment" or improments around or outside the bunkers happend during the time of the Sitzkrieg when nothing realy happend at the western front. Same time they builded a lot of huts in front of the bunkers.

At least for the upper rhine valley secton of the Westwall I found a lot of documents in the Bundesarchiv Freiburg, which are telling that there wasn t enough field kitchens to make proper food for the troops. The divisons had to improvise by themselfs. Especially the bunkers which had been more isolated and far away from villages had been forced to help themselfs in such a way to make their beeing more comfortable.

Greetings Saska
Saska
Finland

Postby M19 MADMAL on 30 Nov 2011 17:03

Saska wrote:Hello

the ofen inside the Westwall bunkers were just made to heat the bunker. Specialy the first or old type of the Westwall ofen. Later types of these ofens had a smale kind of "cooking plate" at the side, but it was still complycated and painfully slow if you were realy hungry. Basicly with this ofens you could worm up the ready made food which was delivered to the bunker but cooked somewhere else.

As we see, these one outside the bunker at the picture is having a real cooking plate. So you can realy cook or even fry something in a pan. Those kind of "extra equipment" or improments around or outside the bunkers happend during the time of the Sitzkrieg when nothing realy happend at the western front. Same time they builded a lot of huts in front of the bunkers.

At least for the upper rhine valley secton of the Westwall I found a lot of documents in the Bundesarchiv Freiburg, which are telling that there wasn t enough field kitchens to make proper food for the troops. The divisons had to improvise by themselfs. Especially the bunkers which had been more isolated and far away from villages had been forced to help themselfs in such a way to make their beeing more comfortable.

Greetings Saska

Hi Saska,

Thanks for that. :milsmile:

Regards,
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

See Facebook: "Strongpoint Corbiere, Jersey"
M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter
Jersey

Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Postby Jens Andersen on 30 Nov 2011 18:52

It is from here:
http://www.atlantik.nl/

Jens
Jens Andersen
Denmark

PreviousNext

Return to Fortifications & Artillery