Defence of Funkmess Stellungen in The Netherlands.

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Jaap Woortman

Defence of Funkmess Stellungen in The Netherlands.

Post by Jaap Woortman » 29 Apr 2007, 15:12

Dear friends,

Some days ago SES put the following question on the board]:"Hi, Iaw information recently received it was intended that FuMG Stellungen, within the AOR of Höh.Jafü.West, in high risk areas should be constructed as described here:
http://www.gyges.dk/Flugmeldemess%20Stellungen%202.htm
Iaw Rudi Rolf only 14 L 486 were actually built. Does anyone have a listing of the locations.
Has anyone come across a Stellung which was actually built completely iaw with the specs.?
bregds
SES"

Does this mean that Funkmess Stellungen were defended by Flak units?
I am working on a survey of the Flak units present during WWII in the Northern part of The Netherlands. The Marine Flak units have had a big role in the defence of that area but nothing is known about the defence of the Funkmess Stellungen at Schiermonnikoog, Terschelling, Sondel, Marum/Trimunt, Veendam and Hoogeveen/Ten Arlo.
Does anyone knows which Luftwaffe Flak units were responsable for this?

Looking forward for your response,

Jaap Woortman

Klaas

Post by Klaas » 25 May 2007, 23:48

Hi Jaap,

The defence of Stp V L 'Tiger' was done by personal of the 7.Ln..Rgt.201 itself, but during periods of the war they got assistance of Flak and Guarding troops.

A map of 26-01-1943 of Terschelling showes that in Tiger one piece of 2cm flak was manned by 7./201 and the other 2 pieces of 2 cm Flak were manned by 2./le.Fla.A.845. Guarding troops are Bewachungszug 105/IV with 2x MG..

Map of 26-05-1943 showes 2./le.Fla.A.845 has gone and all 3x 2cm Flak's manned by 7./201. Bewachungszug 105/VI is still present.

Map of 26-09-1943 showes 7./201 with 1x 2cm Flak, La.Schü.Zg. 108 with 2x 2cm Flak. Bewachungszug 105/VI is not mentioned anymore.

Also all the Kriegsmarine Flak on Terschelling did play an active roll on the total defence of the Island and they did cooperate with Luftwaffe. I have microfilm copies of KTB's of Terschellings Marine Flak Batteries 5./246 (West Batterie) and 6./246 (Ostbatterie) and in the KTB one can read that both Kriegsmarine batteries were alerted by radar observations directly from Luftwaffe Stp V L 'Tiger'. Kriegsmarine did have a it's own FluM radars at Terschelling Stp III 'Margot' but these reported probably via the Stab of 246 at Harlingen, because no direct reports are mentioned in the KTB's.

I'm researching the History of WW2 on Terschelling for years now and therefore i'm very interested in your findings for KM and/or LW Terschelling.

I don't have a lot of info on the other places like Schlei, Eisbär et cetera, but do know LW le. Flak 845 played an role in defending several important objects like bridges, buildings in The Netherlands and probably also on LW radarpositions. le.Flak 845 was part of Flak Rgt 111, maybe http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/flargt111.html will provide you with some more info.

Best regards, Klaas van Brakel

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 26 May 2007, 11:51

Hello All

In France in end 1943 and 1944 most radarpost the light flak
batteries were occupied with L.N. Alarm-flak-zuge or battr.
In the radarpost "Frosch" in Bretagne a few members of light
flak crew recieved the Iron Cross II klasse for the defence of
the radarpost against several attacks of Allied forces .

Regards Jos

Jaap Woortman

Post by Jaap Woortman » 02 Jun 2007, 10:05

Dear Klaas and Jos,

Thank you both for your information.

I am just back from a holiday of 4 weeks at Ameland.
Did a lot of cycling, reading and did some research about Flak defence at Ameland.
I have met Gerlof Molenaar about 10 years ago and he has a lot of information about this island during WWII.
We have tried to find the location of the Heidelberg test installation.
The Heidelberg unit was a new 'radar' type for 'looking over the horizon'.
Spent a lot of time over the layouts of the several bunker locations.
Are not for 100% sure, but we think that the "Oerd Blinkert" is probably the site.

Klaas I have two questions about the KTB of MFA 246 at Terschelling:
- when did they come?
- when did they go?

Interesting is your remark about the defence of Tiger by personnel of 7./Ln.R. 201.
That is new to me.

Jaap Woortman
Secr. Dutch Study Group Airwar 1939-1945

Klaas

Post by Klaas » 03 Jun 2007, 22:03

Hi Jaap,

M.Fl.A. 246 came to Terschelling in the summer of 1940 nad the stayed for the duration of the war. However the numbering of the Flakbatteries was changed during the war from 9./246 to 5./246 and form 8./246 to 4./246, 6./246.

Heidelberg at Ameland? Thought the Heidelberg was positioned on the Frisian mainland (opposite to Ameland).

Best regards, Klaas

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 04 Jun 2007, 08:58

Hi,
In Denmark the Flak of the FuMG Stel. - with one or two exceptions - was manned by the personnel in the site, maybe as a secondary duty. As far as I can figure out the same was the case in many costal batteries.
bregds
SES

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”