New finds in Denmark.

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
mistergray1

New finds in Denmark.

Post by mistergray1 » 25 Jun 2008, 22:34

Sensational finds on the beaches of Jutland. 4 Bunkers have emerged from the sand after a storm north-west of Ringkoebing. The bunkers had original inventory back from ww2. Among the finds were 9 bunks in 3 layers, a fusebox and a gascabinet for use during gas attacks. At the entrance is painted an "S" meaning ständigerbau wich means that the bunkers were supposed to be bomb-proof.

If you understand danish you can read more here: http://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/samfund/ ... 025418.ece

If anything else comes up (pictures or whatever) I'll post it here.

Kind regards, Henning.

vszulc

Re: New finds in Denmark.

Post by vszulc » 26 Jun 2008, 01:24

It's actually pretty boring, unless you like rust...
The bunkers were hidden under a dune since the war, which is the reason why they have their original inventory.
I saw some pictures, but since the stuff inside has been under water for 60 years, it turned into decomposing, rusting junk, unfortunately.

KEP

Post by KEP » 26 Jun 2008, 08:49

Me and 2 buddies are going there to see them mid next week... I'll take some photos...

But the bunkers are guarded so don't count on any images from the inside... :lol:

I actually find it interresting... This is not something you see everyday... But how the hell can it still be filled with stuff? Why didn't they remove the inventory after the war?

EDIT: Here's the pictures from the inside of the bunker...
http://midtjyskemedier.dk/media/multime ... bunker-ss/

mistergray1

Post by mistergray1 » 26 Jun 2008, 09:11

Thanks for that link KEP. Very interesting.

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 26 Jun 2008, 15:09

Lots of original small items, very interesting. Especially stuff like the shoulderpats and stuff.

RuPo

Post by RuPo » 26 Jun 2008, 22:02

very nice .... now the picture's, please many of them before disturb the interior!
g,Ruud

http://midtjyskemedier.dk/media/multime ... bunker-ss/

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 26 Jun 2008, 23:47

Hello all

As Jens Andersen from Museumscenter Hanstholm are on this - he has promised a lot of photos, so just wait :D

I actually have photos from these bunkers from februar / march this year - but we did not go inside :cry: :cry:

I will go there tomorrow and have a talk and a look.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

TH

Post by TH » 27 Jun 2008, 10:47

I received a couple photos from earlier this year too.
The bunker (501?) still had the original emergency exit covering.
Amazing, I thought all bunkers were empty by now.
Sadly, the storm also damaged the 636. :(

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 27 Jun 2008, 19:56

Hello

I was out there today, took a lot of pictures :D

And yes yes......i will show them eventually, but not before the official pictures is out from the team working on this.

So - patience patience..............

But i can tell, they have found some interesting stuff there 8O

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

RuPo

Post by RuPo » 27 Jun 2008, 20:15

your so lucky!
ill be patience .... but very curious. And with me (i suggest) the whole forum ;-)
g,Ruud

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 27 Jun 2008, 20:28

Very very nice 8-)

I love to see bunkers 'untouched' (except by decay :x )
So much can be learned from them :D

Can't wait to see the photos.

Malcolm :wink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

mistergray1

Post by mistergray1 » 27 Jun 2008, 22:37

Looking forward to see your pictures Kurt. :D

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 27 Jun 2008, 23:37

Hello all

Just a couple then:

Also see: http://jp.dk/uknews/culture/article1378239.ece

and: http://www.tv2regionerne.dk/reg2005/?r=6

Down the middle of the menu at the right, you see the word"bunker" - in Danish and it loads very slow - so be patience here also :D

Regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
P6270091.JPG
P6270091.JPG (211.26 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
P6270095.JPG
P6270095.JPG (216.31 KiB) Viewed 5059 times
P6270059.JPG
P6270059.JPG (202.76 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

Jens Andersen

Post by Jens Andersen » 30 Jun 2008, 10:30

Hello

Now I am back home and on-line, so that I can give you a brief report of what we found.

The bunker is a Regelbau 501, a crew bunker for 10 men. It house the crew for gun no. 3 of the HKB 5./180 and it was built in the Autumn of 1942.

The bunker was almost completely fitted. Both tables and all 10 stools were present, four wooden cupboards were standing on the floor, two iron cupboards and several smaller cupboards and shelfs mounted on the walls. Further more a rack for 10 guns and a rack for tools for emergency opening of the bunker. The bunks were also still in place, as well as the owen and the ventilation apparatus. So, it was very satifying to get the chance to make a thorough investigation and documentation of the find.

The interior of the bunker had been preserved, but the bunker didn’t look the same way as it did 63 years ago. It was heavily marked by 63 years of sand, water and salt i 63 år. When we got in there were some 20-25 cm of water and mud – in this the tables and stools were lying with fragments of shelfs and cupboard and the matresses. So, we more or less had to work as if were excavting in a bog.

Among the more personal items found I can mention: three epaulets (red edge), three bootjacks, three pencils, five inkpots, four stamps, one intakt boot, three soles, several bootle, different kinds of hand tool, showels, brooms etc.

The things and furniture we found were not in a condition to be considered collector items, but for me as an archaeologist the items still has a very large value, as we here have an almost undisturbed and complete find. From the bits of wood we found we will be able to reconstruct the whole interior of the bunker.

Some parts of the bunker had been dismounted before the closure of the bunker. So, the different filters from the ventilation were lying on the floor, and one on the bunks were missing. The most important parts of the telephone system were missing, but some parts were also found on the floor. Therefore, from the start we were convinced that the emptying of the bunker had been stopped early in the process.

Yesterday, however, making stock of the finds, we find out that the work must have stopped quite abruptly. A so far unidentified rusty lump of iron was identified as a part of the telephone system. This parts was incrusted to the same table on which we had found five spanners, a hammer and a chisel. I don’t think the workers would just have left their tools and all the stuff they had worked so hard to get down without a very good reason. To me it seems that they have had to leave the bunker in a hurry and weren’t able to come back. From marks on the walls you could see that there once had been as much as one meter of water in the bunker, so I tend to think that the bunker had been filled with water by a storm surge, so that worker could get in again and get their stuff.

Best regards
Jens

P.S.
I haven't had time yet to downsize pictures.

der bunkermann

Post by der bunkermann » 30 Jun 2008, 11:44

hi jens, really amazing finds, a modern time treasure!
what will happen after the research is finished? i pressume the useful things will go to the museum, but how about the rest?

it would be beautyful if eventually someone could make a (digital) reconstruction of the inside of this 501..
i wonder why there was a staircase towards the roof, maybe for a light flak emplacement or obervation?
(edit): or is it just the staircase from groundlevel to the entrance?

here in WBN area we have not seen that very often :roll:
gr, tim

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”