3cm Flak 103/38

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
HerrLyppe

Re: 3cm Flak 103/38

Post by HerrLyppe » 07 Mar 2014, 03:05

Came across another photo of the 3cm Flak 103/38, which evidently appeared in AFV Photo Album.

Thanks for the photos of the Flakzwilling schwenkarm. It looks as though it still has the functionality for the Visierkopf 37. Was there just a blanking plate or some kind of control where that small opening is?

Didn't realise that you were a modeller so maybe this might be a good little project for you. Dragon did actually release a Jaboschrek version but it was basically fantasy, which unfortunately some of this Flak 38 is too.

Cobrahistorian

Post by Cobrahistorian » 07 Mar 2014, 05:48

I'm actually building the Dragon 1:35 Jaboschreck now. I've done most of the corrections on it, just need to build the correct seat frame (I may steal and cast copies of the seat back from the new Trumpeter Flakzwilling 43 kit) and it'll be ready to roll. Here's the thread over on Armorama both for the 1:1 and 1:35: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... 891&page=1

As for the last pic you posted, I hadn't seen that shot, but it is clearly one of the 17th Panzer Division (40 Pz Gr. Regt or Flakabteilung 297) guns. They received 20 guns in Feb 45, and that one looks much more like my gun (although without the muzzle brake!).

Not sure about the sight arm for the Zwilling, but when the Vizierkopf arrives, I'll test it out.

Jon

gebra_de

Post by gebra_de » 09 Mar 2014, 18:12

Hello,
since several years I am collecting information on the German 3cm Flak 103/38.

I am totally happy to see in that thread that at least one sample has survived and is under restoraution.
The pictures I have found here are extremely promising.

When browsing through these pages I realized that the pictures shown here are almost complete.

A short summary over that weapon is:

At least there were three variants existing:

1. Prototype
The 3cm weapon has been mounted on an almost unchanged base of the 2cm Flak 38 with only minor
modifications. Tho most proment one is the addition of the 3cm ammo ox which can be found only by the prototype.

At least three pictures are known showing that version when it has been presented at a weapon show. I have also information, where and when this presentation has been performed.

2. Final version
This weapon is the type which is currently under restoration.
The major differences compared with the prototype are:
- simplified elevation and traverse mechanism
- simplified seat
- simplified mount and arm for gun sight
- simplified hand wheels
- addition of two tubes for recoil absorption
- change of ammo box by a square box shaped version

3. Intermediate version
This version is shown on the two pictures presenting the gun mounted on a truck
That version combines some of the prototype and the final modifications. The
major point is the existence of an different gun traverse cover and the final
version of the 2cm Flak 38 hand wheel made of pressed steel.

The only thing I found differing from the pictures I have showing the final version with the
Flak under restauration is the hand wheel fixed at the elevation cover.
The picture shos a simplified handwheel with only one wide bar within the wheel.

I cannot place the pictures here, but if you are interested, please contact me directly.

Best regards
Gert

PS
Are there some updated pictures existing showing the progress on the project?
I would be extremeley interested to see the final result.

gebra_de

Post by gebra_de » 09 Mar 2014, 18:22

PS
I have already built that final version of the gun in 1:35 scale which can be found at:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Militaer/ ... final.html

In addition there is a blog at the same site of my project building the prototype version based on the Dragon model in scale 1:6.

Regards
Gert

gebra_de

Post by gebra_de » 09 Mar 2014, 18:25

Hello,
I already have added a post at that side. Could you please contact me directly via mail.
I probably have some useful information for your project on the 3cm Flak project.
Regards
Gert

Cobrahistorian

Post by Cobrahistorian » 09 Mar 2014, 22:03

Gert,

I will be back in the office tomorrow. Please feel free to email me at [email protected].
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jon

Fallersleben

Post by Fallersleben » 19 Mar 2014, 22:09

Hello,

a photo from my visit in Koblenz from today!

HerrLyppe

Post by HerrLyppe » 21 Mar 2014, 23:22

I hadn't noticed the simplified seat, thanks for pointing that out Gert. Although I don't see how the two cylinders included underneath are for recoil, as the weapon is attached directly to the angle iron which is welded to the bearings and I think that Jon explained earlier that these were to aid with elevation.
I've started building the new flakvisier assemblies for a conversion on one of my 1/6 Flak 38s but a few measurements might help with accuracy if that's possible. I don't have the 3cm 103 like Gert either, so will have to build it from scratch. Would it be possible to get some reference dimensions and photos for that also?

Allan

HerrLyppe

Post by HerrLyppe » 23 Mar 2014, 01:30

Also, I was wondering about the ribs that run across the underside of the mount. Does the damage have noticable strike marks on it as though it has been hit or is this possibly damaged caused by stress to the mount from the weapon's recoil?
There's also a power lead that comes out on the underside of the Flakvisier's schwenkarm, but the battery box has been removed from it's usual position at the front of the mount and I can't see a power source anywhere else..

Allan

gebra_de

Post by gebra_de » 23 Mar 2014, 01:43

Hello Allan,

Could you please tell me in which picture you have seen a power lead coming out on the underside of the Flakvisier's schwenkarm?

Thanks in advance

Have you meanwhile received also the pictures I have sent to you?
Regards
Gert

HerrLyppe

Post by HerrLyppe » 24 Mar 2014, 03:31

Hi Gert,

This is the picture I was referring to with the outlet. Must be to power the lamp on the TzF 3X8.

Also visible here

Although you can see here that the plug on the underside of the platform has been blocked off

And there's also a connector in the base of the Flakvisier assembly
Only got the pdf not any other images.

Allan

HerrLyppe

Post by HerrLyppe » 27 Mar 2014, 03:28

Jon,

I may be able to source you a Visierkopf 38/40 for your early 2cm Flakvierling 38 if you're interested.

Allan
[email protected]

Cobrahistorian

Post by Cobrahistorian » 31 Mar 2014, 16:04

Hey guys,

Sorry, I've been away a bit. Since I'm really a staff of one here, I haven't been able to get much work done on the Jaboschreck over the past few weeks.

I've got a few pics of the underside of the mount. The sheet metal has been dinged up quite a bit, but nothing from being hit in combat, just rough handling over the years. I'm not sure where they relocated the battery box to, but I do have photos of the electrical connection under the mount. I'll post when I can.

As for the Visierkopf 38/40, yes, I'm interested. Drop me an email at [email protected] and let's discuss!

v/r

Jon

HerrLyppe

Post by HerrLyppe » 01 Apr 2014, 06:32

Hi Jon,

Doubt that there would have been a battery box considering the only thing on the mount requiring power was the lamp in the zielfernrohr and they appear to have plugged off the cable mount on the underside of the flakvisier platform. The connectors that are in the assembly are likely there from it's original purpose on the 2cm Flak 38.
Is this the plug that you were referring to in the underside of the assembly? (Note: I stole all these pics from Jon's fb page)
Thanks for the info about the underside of the mount. Was just wondering whether the distortion in the ribs had been caused by a recoil stress or by being struck.
I've sent you an email and have also provided the seller with your contact details.
Allan

Cobrahistorian

Post by Cobrahistorian » 25 Jul 2014, 20:09

Hey all!

I'm sorry I haven't added to this one for a while, but things have been extremely busy around here. Fortunately, we have been able to work on the Jaboschreck a bit and today we re-mounted the gun. She's about 90% finished now, but there are a lot of little details yet to do, plus we have to build the magazine for it from sheet metal.

We stripped it down to its individual components, cleaned them, greased them (where needed) and reassembled them. The only fabricated parts on it are the mounting bolts for the gun, since the originals are long gone. Everything else, including the tires and tubes (valve stems replaced)are original to Flak 103/38 Nr.175.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”