Atlantikwall or Maginot bunker? (Stp. Anna)

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
AW

Re: Atlantikwall or Maginot bunker? (Stp. Anna)

Post by AW » 05 Oct 2012, 18:46

Hi jean,

you're traveling a lot & did a lot of fieldwork ... it is difficult keep the overview 8-)
are there any pictures to the two new (blue) dots?

btw. sorry for the Schwfr. at Raversijde... get the info from atlantikwall relikte.

greetz

Alex

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 05 Oct 2012, 21:11

Hi Alex

The two blue dots (n°10 and n°13) are:
the 1 person observationtower (n°13)
observationbunker2.jpg
and the mixed concrete and masonry remains of destroyed construction laying next to one of the French personel bunkers (n°10) - Only the 3 photo's at the botom. The concrete slab -if I recall well- is about 1m thick, the pieces are scattered on a duneface.
Stp Anna - masonry and concrete remains.jpg
No problem concerning the Scheinwerfers at Raversijde, I also made my fair deal off mistakes... also mostly based on incorrect documentation. Luckely we have this forum to point out the correct information to each other

Greetz, Jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 21 Oct 2014, 19:40

Stp Anna - 668-1.jpg
something which popped in my head during my visit to this place yesterday... and which I never paid attention to before...

do we know what the purpose is of the square emplacement-like pit on the roof of this bunker?? (underneath the vegetation on the roof, also note the small chimney-like pipe at the inner-edge of this square hole)
Not for the periscope as seen on some bunkers; this bunker had no periscope and then again it would be possitioned wrong as it is placed on top of the Gasschleuse.

Do we see it elsewhere on this type of bunker??

Jean

der bunkermann

Post by der bunkermann » 21 Oct 2014, 19:48

Could be antenna pipe?
The saving in the concrete is usualy made for pouring a concrete cone around a pipe later..

Also sometimes a periscope was placed in the gaslock, i have seen a 621 in holland with this feature. But this one is to close to the side for that. Is it a 501?

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 21 Oct 2014, 19:54

Hi Tim
It's a 668, the square hole measures about 1,20m by 1,20m... which seems to be very large if it was only intended to poor the cone around the pipe... also the pipe is on the edge of the square hole, not in the middle, so very unlikely it was intended to poor the cone around the pipe

Jean

der bunkermann

Post by der bunkermann » 21 Oct 2014, 19:59

Hi Jean,
Maybe there are 2 antennaniches in the entrance?
The you would have a rectangular saving with a pipe on each side of the 80 cm wide entrance.. no inside pictures?
The fact that it's a square seems strange in my theory :D
Gr, Tim.

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 21 Oct 2014, 20:04

yes, you can find some inside photos at the beginning of this topic (old ones that is)
As you can see the entrancelock is heavely sanded and I didn't take notice of the ceiling in the entrancelock at the time...
I will have another look inside when I return to this location to see if there are pipes leading from the entrancelock to the roof

Your guess could be right, but I hope it served another, less frequent use...

Jean

dirk Peeters

Post by dirk Peeters » 22 Oct 2014, 09:44

this is a normal 668 with two antennas
the old photograph shows good the two unfinished pipes
they must add some consrete afterwards for the closing system of the antennapipes when not in use .
It s
a common feature
00.jpg
01.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 22 Oct 2014, 18:53

thx Dirk for clearing this out!

mir_mir_98

Post by mir_mir_98 » 25 Oct 2023, 12:04

myt1prod wrote:
20 Sep 2012, 15:37
I also recalled forgetting to visit a bunker I noticed on GE, laying along a small path I never took before. I found a nice (in my guess) MG-bunker with flanking wall, which I haven't seen documented before... so I measured it.
MG Flanking bunker.jpg
... one thing strange I couldn't find a floorplate?? I measured up to 210cm and could still poke the ground without bumping onto the floorplate. (it could explain why it's brothers - see below - are more and more falling apart).

this bunker is absolutely free from graffiti (although some carseats inside); I could find only two inscriptions of which the origin is unknown:
- on the ceiling their is painted - in brown paint- a letter 'L' (photo is crooked due to the position it was shot from) (also a letter 'T' - in the same paint - can be found on the ceiling.
- on one of the walls; a word I cant figure out... (most posibly postwar I guess)
MG Flanking bunker2.jpg

At first I thought 'this must clearly be German, as it is the only to be found in the area'... and then I continued my fieldtrip researching area's and walkingpaths in these dunes which I never visited before... and then I found 2 more of these MG-bunkers ... and even remembered another (more known and heavy sanded) bunker which also has a flanking wall. These two I found are falling apart, the walls are sliding away from under the roof. No extensive traces of rebarb can be found apart from single strans of rebarb here and there. The roof seems to have no connection to the walls; it seems like a prefab roofplate laying unattached on top. Also in these bunkers I couldn't establish the floorlevel (without digging!). So this far 4 of these MG bunkers can be found, each with small differences in configuration.
An overview of the other MG-bunkers: (these I have yet to measure, the drawings are based on how I recall them, GE and photo's)
MG Flanking bunker1.jpg

Grtz
jean

Hi there, I'm a comic book writer, at the moment I'm creating a book in bray dunes. I'd like to have more information on this specific bunker. Do you know where it was in bray dunes ? And if its accessible ? Have you been inside of it ?

Thank you so much.
M

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”