map of Coxyde delivers new position of bunker at La Panne

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Bunkerfreak

Re: map of Coxyde delivers new position of bunker at La Panne

Post by Bunkerfreak » 28 Jun 2015, 12:51

Does anyone know the name of this strongpoint?

I placed your discovery of an 608 in a layer (i couldnt resist to process this in one of my kmz-projects) :thumbsup:
001.jpg
002.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 28 Jun 2015, 23:50

Hi Tom
it's not 'my discovery'... some already knew about it before me ever asking about it ;)
I guess I've already mentioned it here in the topic that some local's claim that there was an antenna/radar present on the spot... When looking at the aerials we clearly see a circular field below the bunker, in this field a black spot. This field seems to be 'connected' with the bunker with a L-shaped path.
Also keep in mind the 'Kabelshaltstelle-like' construction posted earlier in this topic... as this is the only stronghold in the area it seems logic that this construction stood in relation with the bunker.

Jean

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 29 Jun 2015, 17:27

any idea whic wn or stp this is? or is it a part of von rundstedt?

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 29 Jun 2015, 22:44

I have no idea on it's name... i'm also hoping that someday somebody will provide us with a name, a map, details on the several construction...
One thing is shure (too me); it is not part of Von Rundstedt because it is a about 3 km away from the coastline where Stp. Von Rundstedt was situated and on the other hand, there was another small Wn (Stp) situated in between Von Rundstedt and this location (this 'other' location is mentioned in resistancereports and according to these one of the radars of PONY was moved too this location by the end of occupation... another thing I'm looking into... still so much to be re-discoverd about De Panne; as everything has been 'erased' we have only documents, photos and aerials to go by

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 30 Jun 2015, 08:23

i have 3 cartons filled with A3-format minefield maps from KVA A3, got them from somebody who quited the hobby due a medical reason some years ago, but never investigated them all because i wasn't working on this sector at that time. sometime's there are wn-names indicated on them from 1944, near nieuwpoort i've saw allready some names i never saw elsewhere before. I shall see soon, with some luck there is a name visible for de panne

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 02 Apr 2017, 18:42

3D model of this bunker in which you can walk around using your mouse (not that easy and needs a fast PC) or using VR-glasses (if I set up everything right... otherwise possibly to small or to large)

(Also look at some other models I've created this far)

https://sketchfab.com/models/e0d721720d ... c6c414b82a

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 25 Jun 2021, 11:53

Wouldn't you say this (A) is a bunker?? Possibly the common seen regenional LAG type bunker.
It's laying along the same dune along which we can find the brick constructions (zone 4 on the image below) mentioned earlier in this topic. It seems that the entire duneridge was foritified as by now I got confirmation on at least 2 more brick constructions along this dune, similar to the ones already found and mentioned earlier in this topic.

This possible LAG bunker clearly has protection/flankingwalls facing the street and the dunes and is sitting on a small flattend plateau. The construction is not to be seen on aerials later then march 1944. As it was built in someone's backyard, this could mean that the construction was already demolished shortly after the war.
If this is in fact an LAG bunker (or other type to fit a weapon/canon) we must assume there was a stronghold (small Wn.?) here... or was it still part of the HKB Duinhoek / La Panne laying just a few 100m to the west? Fact is that there is a lot of german activity near this position as the many 'fresh' trenches in the area show. All the houses, the brick bunkers en the possible LAG bunker were linked to each other by means of these trenches. To this day it is still unclear if the brick constructions were constructed in WW1 or WW2; but it seems clear that they were in use by the Germans at time of WW2.
mogelijke LAG.JPG
Jean

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”