SK bunker at Wn. Kerkepanne (BE)

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

SK bunker at Wn. Kerkepanne (BE)

Post by myt1prod » 24 Aug 2012, 22:33

Allo allo

Got the chance to visit the the huge sondernkonstruction bunker at Wn. Kerkepanne today. Something which appeared very unlikely was the lady living there (bunker is part of their home used as storage) stating that she was told by Belgian military and has seen documents stating this bunker was build by the Belgians and finished in 1939 ??? This seems very unlikely because in my opnion it fits 'german construction standards' and it has a 'brother' at Roeselare.

The visit was rather uninspected and I couldn't take too long as it was already evening, so no measurements and less time to investigate in detail... :cry: ... I hope to be granted another visit sometime. The walls of the bunker seem to measure 2metre thick, there is only one entrance to the bunker which is defended by a 'eingangsverteidigung', it has one very large room and several smaller rooms, at the corner facing the street there is a schartenturm with 3 scharten.

The bunker was in use uptill many years after the war by the Belgian military (?). Not much seems to be known concerning this post-war use. The many electronics, switchboards, ... which are still present indicate it was used as a telephone/communicationbunker just as the Germans did. I Guess the Belgians used in during the coldwar ??? Anyone?

some photo's:
wn kerkepanne1.jpg
streetview of the shartenturm (black lines = possible traces of original camouflage)
wn kerkepanne2.jpg
streetview of the only clearly visible traces of the origal painted windows camouflage
Attachments
wn kerkepanne3.jpg
possible original generator ?? (2 pieces)

myt1prod

Re: SK bunker at Wn. Kerkepanne (BE)

Post by myt1prod » 24 Aug 2012, 22:37

wn kerkepanne4.jpg
possible original fuses ??
wn kerkepanne5.jpg
fueltank ?? notice the wall surounding it and traces of white lettres (original ??)
wn kerkepanne6.jpg
other side of the wall; connected to fueltank; heater/burner ??

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 24 Aug 2012, 22:41

wn kerkepanne7.jpg
post-war electronics (coldwar ??)
wn kerkepanne8.jpg
traces of original German wall colors + view at door leading to shartenturm
wn kerkepanne9.jpg
one of the sharten from inside

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 24 Aug 2012, 22:47

wn kerkepanne99.jpg
view at the eingangsverteidigung facing the nowadays hallway and entrace of the house
wn kerkepanne999.jpg
view of the scharte which is not visible at streetlevel
Also it's backwall - which is on another private domain - remains to be photographed... if it has interesting features that is. Also many questionmarks remain to be answered; feel welcome to add and correct

greetz jean

pierrot

Post by pierrot » 25 Aug 2012, 12:07

Hi Jean,

You are a lucky one because it's not easy to be granted access to this bunker.
This bunker was called "verstärkeramt" by the Germans and served to amplify the signal that otherwise could loose intensity on long distance communication. There was another bunker next to this one that was use as Feldschaltabt. but this one has been destroyed shortly after the war. This position was called WN Hierl by the Germans and not WN Kerkepanne (this last one was just a small infantery WN controlling the crossroad further away to the west.)
This bunker was reused by the Belgian Army after the war, I have some documents about this showing they put several millions Belgian franks in communication equipment inside in the early 50's.
We mesured already this bunker in the past, also the Belgian Army did it in 1946.

Gr.

Pierrot

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 25 Aug 2012, 12:44

Hi Pierot

thanks, another correction; Wn Hierl not Wn Kerkepanne... first time I encountered this name for this location, seems many sources aren't to accuratie when it comes to namegiving??

I'll hope to be granted another - longer - visit, because now I'm really keen on knowing which apparatus is original and which isn't. In my guess the belgians would have re-used the electrics and heating as it was still present (the lady claims the generators are original and still in working order). When returning I'll try to find proof (id-tag, german inscriptions) whilst inspecting these aparatus closely. (if original some pieces must be worth some money, now?? or rather they should belong in a museum)

I knew of this second bunker which is presumed to be destroyed... although the lady told me one of the house in the area was build on top of a bunker?? Perhaps a 3 unknown smaller bunker at this stronghold?? It doesn't seem likely to have been the one you're refering too... something to investigate.

jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 02 Feb 2014, 13:32

a nice photo of the original camouflage on the rounded observationroom of this bunker;
camouflage bunker lijnvissersstraat.jpg
photo: debliedemaker.wordpress.com

Jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 20 Oct 2014, 20:35

to be complete, the just now uploaded document in another topic, mentioning also this bunker but speaking generally of the 693a and 693b, deserves to be uploaded into this topic also.
Wn Hierl1.jpg
Wn Hierl2.jpg
Wn Hierl3.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 20 Oct 2014, 20:44

Wn Hierl4.jpg
Wn Hierl4.jpg (390.62 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
So we now know that the round pertruding room of this bunker served a dubble purpose; next to observation it was used to operate a 'lichtsprechgerät' (or several).
Unique for this bunker the 'lichtsprechgerät' could be operated in 4 directions, meaning that in each direction there had to be an receiving end (bunker/stronghold/Wn). The directions in which these receiving ends lay can be measured by means of GPS and some geonomitry... but as I know the positioning of the bunker very well, I allready can guess which of the surounding strongholds would be on these receiving ends... Although as we don't know yet which kind of 'Lichtsprechgerät' was used here we can only guess, because - depending on which kind of 'Lichtsprechgerät(es) - the receiving ends could be anywhere in every direction between just a few hundred metres up to 8km.

Greetz
Jean

dirk Peeters

Post by dirk Peeters » 20 Oct 2014, 22:07

be carefull
for me not at all a lichtsprachgerat ...
look at the topic 693 here on axis
Dirk

pierrot

Post by pierrot » 22 Oct 2014, 09:53

Hey Jean,

I agree with Dirk about his meaning: don't believe as a fact all the information you find on the web and books. Every author can have a different opinion or interpretation but only when some original document or several proofs match together, you can be almost sure. I write "almost" because we even found mistake sometimes on German document.
Be caution also with the testimony of local historian and elderly people, it's always very interesting to listen to their stories but wrong information and some fantasy may be present too (I know at least 4 different bunkers or houses on the Belgian coast where the owner said Rommel slept there, some farmers reported SS Tiger tanks in their field during the war,...)
Once again be cautious.

Gr.

Pierre

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 22 Oct 2014, 19:01

thanks everyone for your replies
Luckely we have this forum so others can show us the way, confirm or deny newly uploaded information/documents
... would have been nice if this bunker had this feature, but I don't neccesarly take everything for granted, I also like to see at least two or more different sources stating the same before actually addapting what is stated.
As I thought this would be a 'unique' document, I uploaded it here, hoping to find out more... as I did thanks to you guys... as Always!
(As this bunker is and was surrounded by houses and tall trees it already seemed bizarre that a lichtsprechtgerät would be operated here, never the less, I wanted to hear your opinions)

Thanks!

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 08 Mar 2018, 21:29

next to the bunker which we discussed earlier in this topic, there was a second bunker of which i'm making a 3D model.

Can anyone match it to a regelbau model?

for the 3D model see:https://skfb.ly/6xrqH

dirk Peeters

Post by dirk Peeters » 09 Mar 2018, 12:03

what a programm
you can t see things
takes a long time
place a normal plan for id please Jean
greetings
Dirk

myt1prod