Junghenngerät.

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
ErwinZ

Re: Junghenngerät.

Post by ErwinZ » 20 Oct 2016, 11:47

Sounds like a sound location device? Maybe a beutewaffe?

Bertill622

Post by Bertill622 » 23 Oct 2016, 19:38

On page 50 of this; http://www.bunkermuseum.de/archiv_bunke ... anssen.pdf , the Junghenn Gerat is also mentioned.
I wonder if this device has something to do with measuring the time between shooting and the exploding of the fired projectiles when using timed primers?

Best regards,
Bertill.

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 24 Oct 2016, 03:41

Another link to second nordfriese's pointer in post #3 ("...nach Schallortungsverfahren Junghenn..."):
One of the commanders of Marine-Flak Abteilung 252 was a KK M. A. Junghenn (https://marjorie-wiki.de/wiki/Marine-Flak)
So, I think, we are talking about a DF/ Sound locator (e.g. RRH) and or the method/ procedure of detecting a/c via sound.
Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

Bertill622

Post by Bertill622 » 27 Oct 2016, 18:19

Good evening gentlemen. Past weekend I have spend many hours looking for any connections regarding "Junghen(n) Gerat". I have been reading a lot about the German Deutsche Bucht Coastal defences, Batteries and Flak. Heer, Luftwaffe and Marine. I have looked at the 88mm and the 105mm. Learned about the way they designed and manufactured their kommando gerat. Learned about the companies that manufacterd the timed fuzes/primers.

My translation on "Schallortungsverfahren" is this.
A device to measure time between firing (pulling the trigger) the shot and the exploding of the shot using the audiowaves transmitted through the atmosphere.

Forgot to mention, learned a lot but found nothing on this subject.

Best regards,
Bertill.

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 28 Oct 2016, 02:22

Bertill,
you are correct and incorrect at the same time:
What you are describing is/was called in German "Schallmessung" (English: acoustic locating). Schallmessung translates to measuring the run time (difference) of acoustic waves from when they are produced (e.g. when firing a gun) and the time it can be heard or recorded. The result of this computation, gives you the distance (and direction) of the sound emitting object (be it gun or a/c). This is needed e.g. for locating an artillery position. In German (field) artillery, you have a "Schallmess-Trupp" for doing exactely that with a simple microphone/ reciever and a timer/ stopwatch. For the AAA the device could be a RRH or a simplier Horchgerät

On the other hand, you have "Schallortung" (English: acoustic detecting). It is basically the same, but this implys the use of an active (wave emitting source) device, e.g. sonar. For RADAR the term in German would be "Funkmess-Ortung".

Last, "Verfahren" is a procedure/ method, not a device. The device for such a procedure is a "-gerät", Schallmessgerät, Funkmessgerät etc. or in this case "Junghenngerät".

So, "Schallortungsverfahren" has to be translated to "acoustic detecting procedure". And "Schallortungsverfahren Junghenn" translates to "acoustic detecting procedure [according to the method or procedure of] Junghenn".

Ofcourse it is also possible, that these terms were -for what reason ever- not used in their strict, seperated meaning.
Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

Bertill622

Post by Bertill622 » 28 Oct 2016, 17:02

Christian, thank you for this clarification.
So there could have been a "Junghenn Gerat" , a device, or there could have been a method or procedure called "Junghenn Verfahren".

Then there could have been a link with KK M.A. Junghenn as you mentioned in your post above. (And I think the most logical explanation after reading about him. But I can't find anything relating directly. But then again I looked for a device, not a method or procedure.)

Is it possible that "Junghenn" was used as a codename, tarnname for a device or a method, procedure?

Best regards,
Bertill.
Last edited by Bertill622 on 28 Oct 2016, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

TH

Post by TH » 28 Oct 2016, 18:26

I think Schallortung refers to the detection of incoming bombers or other planes by listening devices (Horchgerät or similar).
Junghenn is probably the name of the guy who invented the method or device.

v60pih

Post by v60pih » 28 Oct 2016, 21:21

The Marine Flak Abteilung used the Entfernungsmessung, Schallortung and later Dezimeter-Telegraphie:

Marine-Flak-Abteilung 252
Aufgestellt im August 1939 in Heidmühle mit fünf schweren Flak-Batterien in Schortens, Sande (Friesland), Hohemey, Siebetshaus und Sillenstede als Flak-Untergruppen-Kommando West.[A 2] Kommandeure waren KL M.A. Hans Merker, KK Schultz-Reuter, KK M.A. Junghenn, KK Dr. Hans Luck, KK M.A. Gustav Heuser und KK M.A. Lothar Köhler

Marine-Flak-Abteilung 703
Aufgestellt im Juni 1940 in Vlissingen beim Kommandanten der Seeverteidigung Südholland. Im Oktober 1941 wurde sie nach St. Nazaire zum Marine-Flak-Regiment 22 verlegt und durch die Marine-Flak-Abteilung 810 ersetzt. Kommandeure waren KK M.A. Frhr. v. Lupin und KK M.A. Junghenn.

KK = Korvettenkapitän

EDIT: I must read better, already mentioned..

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 29 Oct 2016, 01:32

Bertill622 wrote:Christian, thank you for this clarification.
So there could have been a "Junghenn Gerat" , a device, or there could have been a method or procedure called "Junghenn Verfahren".

Then there could have been a link with KK M.A. Junghenn as you mentioned in your post above. (And I think the most logical explanation after reading about him. But I can't find anything relating directly. But then again I looked for a device, not a method or procedure.)

Is it possible that "Junghenn" was used as a codename, tarnname for a device or a method, procedure?

Best regards,
Bertill.
Bertill,
as "TH" (in the following post) wrote, Verfahren referrs to a method or procedure according to (a person called) Junghenn. It is important to have an understanding in how language (german) works. I repeat, fully written out, "Schallortungsverfahren Junghenn" translates to "acoustic detecting procedure [according to the method or procedure of] Junghenn".
In a way it is a code (name), but merely for the lack of anything better.

Both ("Schallortungsverfahren Junghenn" -> procedure/ method, "Junghenngerät" -> device) must have existed, depending on the the source. Otherwise the terms wouldn't have had existed. Unfortunately, we don't know exactely what those (procedure/ device) were, nor do we seem to know anything (relevant for this matter) about the person other then the name.
Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

Eax-E

Post by Eax-E » 16 Oct 2022, 13:46

Hi,

Junghenngerät is a device to use remote data from non-optical devices. Thanks to Junghenngerät, a Dreiwag or Kleinkog coud use a Würzburg data from another location. A similar device is Wichmanngeraet.
I did not found any picture on any of them so far.

Kr
Arthur

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”