unknown bunker/stutzpunkt found at Nieuwpoort (BE)

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

unknown bunker/stutzpunkt found at Nieuwpoort (BE)

Post by myt1prod » 03 Feb 2014, 19:43

http://kw.knack.be/west-vlaanderen/nieu ... 467133.htm

Hello,
Just recently a new/unknown WW2 bunker was found during the works on a WW1 memorialsite near the famous KIng Albert-I monument in Nieuwpoort (Belgium). Possibly a second bunker which is built on to the newly found bunker is to be discovered, as the roof of already accesible bunker is much larger then the inner space of the bunker.

What follows is a quick translation of the dutch article in the above link;

Aan het Albert I-monument in Nieuwpoort is bij graafwerken voor de bouw van een nieuw bezoekerscentrum (over WO I) een tot nog toe onbekende bunker ontdekt.

At the Albert-1 monument at Nieuwpoort a bunker - unknown to this moment - was found during excavationworks for the new WW1 visitorscentre.

“Het gaat om een onbekende Duitse bunker uit de Tweede Wereldoorlog die nog in heel goede staat verkeert. De bunker is gelegen tussen het monument en de sluizenring en bijgevolg zullen de aan de gang zijnde werken geen vertraging oplopen door de ontdekking van de bunker”, zegt schepen voor stadsgebouwen Kris Vandecasteele. De schepen ging al een kijkje nemen in de bunker en meteen kon al heel wat informatie worden genoteerd. Zo is op de muur aan de ingang van de bunker al het kenteken OST-W te lezen wat staat voor de Duitse Oostende-West-sector en ook het nummer en districtnummer van de bunker 019-252 zijn duidelijk te lezen. De bunker is 6 meter lang en 4 meter breed en de muren zijn uit beton en naar schatting zeker een meter dik.
it concerns an unknown German bunker from the second worldwar which is still in very good condition. De bunker lays between the monument and the sluicering (nvdr. the same sluices which flooded the Belgian western front during WW1), "seen it's position the ongoing works won't suffer any delays due to the discovery of this bunker" says citygouvernor for communal buildings Kris Vandecasteele. De citygouvernor went and had a look inside the bunker and already could note a lot of information. On the entrancewall of the bunker a sign reads OST-W meaning it was part of the German sector West of Ostend, also the bunker- and districtnumber reads clearly 019-252. The bunker measures 6m by 4m, the concrete walls measure approximately 1m thick.

Naar alle waarschijnlijkheid zijn er op die plek nog meer bunkers verborgen onder de grond. Nieuwpoort zal de bunker niet opnieuw onder de grond laten verdwijnen, maar integreren in de site. Of de bunker ook toegankelijk zal zijn voor het publiek hangt af van de veiligheid.
To all possibilities there are more bunkers hidden underground on this same spot. The city of Nieuwpoort shall not make the bunker dissapear again underground, but shall intergrate the bunker in the WW1 memorialsite. If the bunker will be accesible tot the public depends on the structural safety of the bunker.

... sometime I wonder how it is possible for a bunker to dissapear out of sight in only 70 years time, to pop-up one day as an 'unknown bunker'... this makes me hopefull that there are still many cases like this.

Who can provide the first informations on this stronghold?? ... for as in the papers only questionmarks pop-up... so it seems very little is known of this stronghold... so it will be up to us to do the investigation work.

Great news!!! (Shamefully my howntown didn't follow the example of Nieuwpoort when just 2 years ago an entire stronghold was rediscovered in De Panne... being the already destroyed Stp. Wrangel)

Jean

myt1prod

Re: unknown bunker/stutzpunkt found at Nieuwpoort (BE)

Post by myt1prod » 03 Feb 2014, 19:50

bunker npt1.jpg
bunker npt1.jpg (181.6 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
bunker npt2.jpg
bunker npt2.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
photos from the article in the link mentioned above

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 03 Feb 2014, 20:00

it's location;
(for those not familiary with Belgium, typ in 'Nieuwpoort' in GoogleMaps and you'll quickly find the location resembling the below aerialshot)

This new possition is laying in the proximity of the Stp. Ramien (in the estuary of the river) and just a couple of 10metres away from the Stp. Müncheberg (FlaK-position near the windmills)
bunker npt3.jpg
bunker npt3.jpg (272.14 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 03 Feb 2014, 20:09

hi jean,
it is most likely a 502 mirror or L409A ??,two photo :oops:
you are info ?
regards

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 03 Feb 2014, 20:30

no further informations yet, moonraker... but as soon more information is available I will be posting it overhere

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 03 Feb 2014, 20:33

thank jean,I am impatient :thumbsup:
regards

dirk Peeters

Post by dirk Peeters » 03 Feb 2014, 20:47

Good news Jean
Keep looking
Dirk

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 03 Feb 2014, 20:50

Great news

I love bunker numbers from Belgium 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Regards Jos

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 03 Feb 2014, 22:52

Hi,

It could be W.N. Tilly I.

I only found there must be 2 x 656 build in Tilly. Could also be in the other W.N.'s. But no doubt pierrot will find this topic soon to tell us more. :wink:
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 4940 times

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 03 Feb 2014, 23:02

I found some more. It is position S.

There could be 4 more other St?
Attachments
Complex S.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 04 Feb 2014, 00:03

thanks for the maps Nectar... but I guess - after investigation - this will turn out to be a personelbunker...
the journal showed another inside photo (which is not to be found online yet), showing a 'eingangsverteidigung' with the wellknown and wellpreserved tekst "kein licht bei geöffnete Scharte"... to my knowledge we don't find these in a regular munitionsbunker...
we'll have to await some more photomaterial I guess... I hope to pay a visit soon (if allowed entrance)

Jean

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 04 Feb 2014, 08:16

Could be a 656 from W.n. Tilly II ??

Regards Jos

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 04 Feb 2014, 09:58

I contacted the responsible citygouvernor of Nieuwpoort and he could already provide me with a few photos extra, which he took himself. (he will keep me informed of any changes and new discoveries... never the less I hope to pay a visit to the bunker myself)
bunker npt4.jpg
a better view of the entrance clearly showing the 'St'-sign
bunker npt5.jpg
a view of the eingangsverteidigung which I've mentioned earlier
bunker npt6.jpg
bunker npt6.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
a hard to see view of the roof; the rounded hole in the middle/left should be the tobruk (according to the description of the source)... the square hole on the right which is topped of with a slab of concrete is a shaft that gives direct access to the main room of the bunker... again according to the source...
This seems to be a quite unique feature to me.

Jean

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 04 Feb 2014, 10:02

hi,
could be 656 the stove is placed, very corner of the room. good jean.
Last edited by moonraker on 04 Feb 2014, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 04 Feb 2014, 10:02

ow yes... It has also been confirmed some more bunkers are hidden in the area. During the excavation of the yachtharbour many years ago, these bunkers were covered by about 6 to 7metres of earth... there are NO plans to dig up these bunkers up till now (perhaps within some years when WW2-memorials become a hot topic??)

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”