Drehbettung in Adinkerke (BE) ??

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

Drehbettung in Adinkerke (BE) ??

Post by myt1prod » 30 Aug 2014, 14:04

Hello

Very bizarre discovery just now... while studying some aerial shots I found this - what seems to be a Drehbettung - in the neighboring town of my hometown Adinkerke (Belgium)!!

I never heard or read something about the presence of a Drehbettung in Adinkerke... although I heard some stories about railwaygun-activity in the region of Adinkerke (have to dig into that).

Off course it could be a civil railroadturntable (= Drehbettung in German), but again: never heard about the prescence of such a structure in Adinkerke...
But due to it's positioning I have reasons to believe it is of German origin;
>>> it's distance to the sea and positioning inland (about 3 to 4 km inland) is the same as for the most known railroadbatteries allong the English Channel.
>>> although very few civilians live here the Germans built a Luftschütz here (which is still present); so it could only been intended for the protection of military personel serving in the immediat surroundings... personel for what?? perhaps for the railwaygun?
(on the otherhand; just across the LS - not on aerial - there is standing a single building (holiday pension) known to be used by the Germans to station soldiers, by means of a German built road is was connected to the seaside strongholds of the town De Panne).
>>> there is quit a gap inbetween the last railraodbattery in Northern France (inside Dunkirk Harbour) and the known ones in Belgium... if this turntable in Adinkerke is indeed a German built Drehbettung for a railraodbattery it would nicely fill the blank spot in the German railroadgun-defenceline along the English Channel.
Drehbettung Adinkerke.jpg
Who can provide more information on the origins of this structure??

Thanks ahead!
Jean

Eax-E

Re: Drehbettung in Adinkerke (BE) ??

Post by Eax-E » 30 Aug 2014, 14:40

Hello Jean,

I don't know this area but it can be for civil use. As the steam engies had only one pilot cabin they had to be turned in the right direction.

Regards

myt1prod

Re: Drehbettung in Adinkerke (BE) ??

Post by myt1prod » 01 Sep 2014, 19:25

thanks for your answer
Hopefully someone can provide a conclusive answer on the origins of this railraodturntable.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”