Fliegerhorst Antwerpen-Deurne

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Bunkerfreak

Fliegerhorst Antwerpen-Deurne

Post by Bunkerfreak » 28 Feb 2015, 14:19

Hello All,

it's time for me to investigate another subject.

I think i found the type 44 Geschäftszimmergebaude of the airfield of Antwerpen.
002.png

Schallplattenparade

Re: Fliegerhorst Antwerpen-Deurne

Post by Schallplattenparade » 28 Feb 2015, 15:07

There's some mentioning on what is gone on this "Pro-Borgerhoutblog" ;) ...

http://krugerpleinpeperbus.blogspot.be/ ... -maan.html

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 28 Feb 2015, 22:11

Yes, in the "boekenberglei" near the "Jan olieslagersstraat" there was a german ww2 monument with an eagle and swastika (according to some local resident), but this monument was destroyed short after the war. (which is logical). I don't know if this is true? Also this person was talking about a bunker somewhere with a square hole in the roof, it feels like the antenna-bunker which you nowadays find on the merville airfield in northern France.

Also in the gardens behind the "august van putlei" there was an Allied AA-battery to shoot down the V-rockets. (this has nothing to do with the airfield, but its nearby), also according to this local resident, some of the bunkers or emplacements of this AA-battery must been covered in a sinkhole.

A lot of "if" and "should be" for those objects.

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 28 Feb 2015, 22:16

a peek through the square hole in the roof of the antenna(??)-bunker on the Merville airfield. According to a local resident near the Airfield of Antwerpen-Deurne, he remembered a bunker with a square hole in the roof somewhere North-East of the airfield... this description witness can be a bit relyable...
Bunker voor antenne 01 14 06 2009 BFA (15).JPG
Does anyone of the Borgerhout-front remember such bunker?

Schallplattenparade

Post by Schallplattenparade » 01 Mar 2015, 11:58

Bunkerfreak wrote:A lot of "if" and "should be" for those objects.
A lot of these local residents will remember this "playfield" a bit bigger and more exiting than it really was... That's typical , As a child I used to live in Ternat for a while. A friend of mine took me to this little "secret"... In a sidestreet of the street where I used to live there was a bunker that was part of the radarstation... Now when I visited a few years back it didn't turn out to be the mastodont bunker with the size of eperleques.... (https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/ ... ict/214005 the Wuerzburgsockel across the street is gone I think)

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 03 Mar 2015, 09:32

Hello Tom

A long time ago, we had also a discussion on Axis Forum on a communication bunker at Deurne , was this bunker also build on the airfield ??

Regards Jos

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 04 Mar 2015, 17:27

Hello Jos,

Ive created some layers from the ABL plans, and put them into an kmz according to old aerials.
002.jpg

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 04 Mar 2015, 17:28

nearby there was an L13 (i presume this acording tot the ABL description.) it was demolished, but i dont know any other rotatable turrets exept from L13's in the area of Belgien-Nordfrankreich.

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 04 Mar 2015, 17:33

At the other side of the airfield, near the watersifting station, there was a small Flak stellung, i just call this Flakstellung "Ost", nothing official because i lack a lot of info's about this position. There where no plans from the ABL, only some text with measures, i just re-draw them according to those measures and according to a situation plan where you see the shape (and the aditional garage) of each bettung.
003.jpg
Still a lot of iffes and maybe's, but i just ordered a subscription on Ncap for the allied arials, so i hope i gonna see more within days ;-)
Unfortunatly, this once HUGE airfield is a bit under-documented... (exept for some pretty good books, but they lack the details of the buildings)

:thumbsup:

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 04 Mar 2015, 17:41

According to the ABL-plans of the airfield, this was the Nachrichtenstand which was build at the entrance, but i'm not shure if this function is correct, as the ABL do not know the diference between a commanding post and a connection bunker. I still doubt if this bunker is an nachrichtenstand, its the only bunker with such thick wall's in ST. Is it possible this was the HQ for Deurne instead of an Nachrichtenstand?
004.png
What do you guys think about the function based on this plan? according the ABL there where a lot of telephones because they wrote "ayant servi de centrale telephonique" on the plan.

Also according to the text of the ABL, there was another bunker nearby with four rooms, two entrances with chicanes, a roof of 50cm thickness and walls of 60cm thickness. Also the Officer mess was nearby and the entrance to the airfield building.

Tom

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 11 Mar 2015, 17:23

I Found today during a prospection of the west-side of the airfield a remaining Lw. baracke. Thanks to Ncap, where i found a flakstellung that wasn't known for me. This flakstellung-west is also not drawn on the ABL plans, this explains why it is a total surprise for me! Also a formsteine bettung is still present on this place
IMG_4314.JPG

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”