map Oostduinkerke (KVA A3)

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

map Oostduinkerke (KVA A3)

Post by myt1prod » 22 Jul 2016, 19:19

Hello,

A friend of mine found several nicely stacked unfired shells whilst metal detecting in the dunes of Oostduinkerke. The shells look like 8.8 to me, based on photorecognition (yet to see for my self)...

Can someone provide me with a map for the Oostduinkerke area showing the German strongholds? Which should enable me to see If a known (FlaK)battery was near the location where the shells where found

In the direct proximity of these shells a bunker (or other war-timestructure) can be found, which I will be investigating in one of the coming days... as I intended since long, as I spotted the construction earlier on GoogleMaps along with some other traces I'd like to inform about.

pierrot

Re: map Oostduinkerke (KVA A3)

Post by pierrot » 24 Jul 2016, 12:17

Hello Jean,

Tell your friend not to touch those shells and to hand them over to the the police or DOVO. Every year people die when handling those dangerous unexploded ordonances.
As far as I know, no 8,8cm Flak batteries around Oostduinkerke ( only 1 8,8cm Flak battery in the NE of FlugPlatz Coxyde in 1941).
In june 1944, some 8,8cm PAK from the 668 Heeres-Schwere-Pak-Abteilung were in field positions in the Groenendijk area but they did not stay for long.
Some 7,5 cm field guns spread out inside the Atlantikwall WN and Stp.
One former artillery position in the wood Hannecartbos, Polderstraat) from 1940-1941 from the 808.Art.Abt. but abandonned later. 2x wellblech (HKB type) remaining today (one in the wood and one on private ground)
One unknown artillery position in Groenendijk (Karthauser Dünes), 2 wellblech remaining today ( build in formstein) and bettung visibles on aerial of 1944 but not sure the position has effectively been in use.

Gr.

Pierrot
Last edited by pierrot on 24 Jul 2016, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 24 Jul 2016, 14:27

I am just able to agrree with Pierrot: =====> DOVO-SEDEE

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 25 Jul 2016, 00:47

I told him the moment he told me about his find...
I'll go and have a look at the area, the bunker and 'strange structures' i've spotted on GE... perhaps this will give more clues

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 26 Jul 2016, 22:18

The location I'm talking about is here;
ODK 2.jpg
The bunker under number 2 is the bunker I was talking about. It's broken up, mostly overgrown and lacks it's roof, the walls seem to be one meter and have a single row of reinforcement steel every 0,5m. The concrete looks WW1 at firtst sight. The bunker had a small concrete platform some 80cm higher then the presumed rooflevel. The side of the bunker which can be approched shows now widows, doors or shartes.

The number 1 was a red brick wellblech-like building but has fallen apart. The curved walls can clearly be distinguished. One piece clearly shows the bunker had a scharte-like window on one side, on the other side - just beneath the rooflevel but coverd in the sand - we can see the possible doorway. The multiple layers of red brick measure about 80cm. When trying to imagine the bunker in it's whole, it makes me thing about the red brick bunkers in the Duinhoekstraat near the watertower in De Panne, which are claimed to be WW2.
(it was near this position the shells were found!)

Number 3: I wondered since long about these slabs of concrete which form a circle, there are three circles to be found... They lay on a small campingsite on could have been built to set up caravans in a circle (which i never seen before)... but I'm rather hoping they are WW2-related... (the campingowner wasn't around to inform about them and I lack historical aerials of the area to see if they date back to WW2 or earlier).
Couldn't these be platforms to set up the legs of a canon on a tripod (like the 8.8)?... as there are 6 platforms this would alow the canon to be set up in different directions??

(photo's will folow)
ODK 1.jpg

TH

Post by TH » 26 Jul 2016, 22:27

These circles remind me of small ammunition niches around a gun emplacement, just a thought.

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 27 Jul 2016, 13:45

location n°1
ODK 1 1.JPG
the sharte-like window, the window/sharte faces south/east (hinterland)
ODK 1 2.JPG
the curved wall broke free in a perfect straightline, notice the lack of any rebarb and no signs of metal wellblech (just like the ones at De Panne)
ODK 1 3.JPG
in the wall on which the curved wall was standing we can just see the possible doorway or another window, this is the opposite side of the window at photo2
ODK 1 4.JPG

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 27 Jul 2016, 13:57

location n°2
the bunker or structure seems to lack it's entire seawards facing side, as well as it's roof... due to the overgrowth I couldn't establish if the lacking pieces are still present or been removed ... or perhaps never present; perhaps this was a single standing wallconstruction. The concrete looks very WW1 to me and it has a single row of +/- 1cm metal rebarb ever +/- 50cm. The raised, but broken, small platform can clearly be distinguished
ODK 2 1.JPG
ODK 2 1.JPG (494.87 KiB) Viewed 366 times
ODK 2 2.JPG
ODK 2 2.JPG (526.45 KiB) Viewed 366 times
location n°3
no photo's... Google Earth gives the most interesting view
TH, these lay a streetlevel and the radius seems to small to fit an OB inside the free space of the circle, also the concrete squares are to small I guess to be some kind of ammostorage... so I don't think they could be OB's... rather concrete supports for a tri- or sixpod like device...

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”