bunker Dunkirk area

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

bunker Dunkirk area

Post by myt1prod » 26 Jul 2016, 21:36

Hello,

Awaiting to be allowed to enter or further investigate the recently discovered bunkers in Belgium, I went for another ride in the Dunkirk area... and found yet another bunker by knocking on a wrong door (across the road where I intended to knock).

The bunker can't be spotted in it's whole on aerial pictures and is built in between the houses spread over several properties and nowadays hidden under terasses and added roofs.

The first 'neighbor' of the bunker had no time to let me visit it, but he took my adress and phonenumber so he could contact me for an appointment. He claims he can enter the bunker... so I hope he'll contact me soon.
The second neighbor has part of the bunker on he's property but as the entrance is bricked up it can't be entered (see photo's).
new bunker kvaB 1.jpg
new bunker kvaB 2.jpg
new bunker kvaB 3.jpg
Same for the third owner on the other side of the bunker; he bricked up the entrance of the bunker himself as only the exteriour wall is on his property and the interiour belongs to his neighbor. As this bunker has entrances on both sides it could even be possible there are two bunkers standing there... but that's impossible to see due to the fact it's spread over several properties (perhaps this will become clear if I get the chance to enter it).
This third owner told me the entrace on his side lead to a stairs go down making a turn to enter the actual bunker which has two rooms and is sealed of by a large metal door with a heavy closing mechanisme and glass peeping-window. He would have a look if he can still find the few photo's he took at the time before bricking up the entrance.

greetz
Jean

dirk Peeters

Re: bunker Dunkirk area

Post by dirk Peeters » 26 Jul 2016, 21:51

is it st omer ?

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 26 Jul 2016, 22:19

no dunkirk itself (just outside the city of Dunkirk itself)

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 26 Jul 2016, 22:22

some of the people I talked to this afternoon ... seem to be conviced it is a british bunker... I hope a visit or the photo's of the steel door which I hope to receive will give more information

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 27 Jul 2016, 13:04

Btw... interesting fact... notice the sheets of metal on the roof as seen on photo 2; according to the owner these plates where salvaged from the Operation Dynamo shipwrecks on the Dunkirk beaches and placed on the roof by the Germans to provide extra protection.

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 27 Jul 2016, 14:52

Very interesting Jean

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 18 Aug 2016, 21:06

for those wondering...
I'm still awaiting the promised photo's and the occasion to visit this bunker... but till today I received nothing in my mailbox... so I think the owner got rid of me by making false promises... but no worries, I will be returning to ask if he has forgotten me... hopefully my persistance will eventually lead to the occasion to visit the bunker (perhaps even measure it) and getting some copies of the photos taken inside the bunker before part of it was closed off...

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”