Stp Corbière in Jersey

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jopaerya

Re: Stp Corbiere in Jersey

Post by jopaerya » 07 Nov 2011, 16:04

Hi Malcolm

Is there anything that you can't build or duplicate 8O , great job again .

Regards Jos

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 26 Mar 2012, 15:34

Hi,

Work has been continuing at Stp. Corbiere and the 20 x pre-fused high explosive German produced 10,5 cm Gr 345 (f) shells which were kept in the gun room as 'Sperrmunition' are now in place. Every Jäger casemate along St. Ouens Bay had a designated Sperrfeuerpunkt which was in front of another Wn. and the north facing casemate at Stp. Corbiere's was the beach directly in front of Wn. High Tower.

The ammunition room would have held 960 rounds and there are now various amounts of 5 different types of 10,5 cm shell on display as can be seen below which are,
Yellow & Red French mixed HE shell, 10,5 cm Gr 345 (f)
Black French reduced charge training shell, 10,5 cm Gr (Üb) 345 (f)
Red French shrapnel shell, 10,5 cm Schr 340 (f)
Yellow German produced 10,5 cm Gr 345 (f)
Black German produced 10 cm Pzgr (f)
A BIG thanks to Zünder for his help in the correct shell colours 8-)

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
Attachments
260312 002.jpg
260312 002.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
260312 001.jpg
"Sperrmunition"
260312 001.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

M19 MADMAL

Post by M19 MADMAL » 26 Mar 2012, 22:59

Hi all,

Since permission was given for the installation of a mains electricity suppy to the inter connected 633/634 bunkers the hardest part of the work has been the excavation by hand of a trench for the JEC (Jersey Electricity Company) to fit a cable to a meter box oppersite to the 634 entrance door.

Luckily we were able to use the original German electrical cable trench cut through the solid granite for the new electricty cable which is compliant with the JEC cable needing to be 70cm deep. The german trench deepens as it heads towards the drain in front of the 634 entrance door where the pipe that takes the cable into the gas lock would be found. We followed the original cutting up to the point where we needed to dog-leg off to the position we are required to install a meter box.

Regards,
Attachments
phpamRcJQPM.jpg
The original German cable exposed from under its protective concrete slabs
phpEEeKdHPM.jpg
Following the German cutting.
php7y5q6XPM.jpg
The German cutting would hve run up to the drain in front of the door.
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 26 Mar 2012, 23:58

Wow nice work Malcolm!! 8-)

corsair5517

Post by corsair5517 » 27 Mar 2012, 08:58

Is that why the M19 is closed this season, Malcolm?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

M19 MADMAL

Post by M19 MADMAL » 05 May 2012, 16:25

Hi all,

The gun seat for the 10.5cm K 331 (f) in 'K 2' has been replaced! 8-)
The design of the missing parts have been copied for examples shown in 3 original photos of this type of gun.

It's great fun to be able to opperate the gun whilst looking through the sight :D
Work is also in hand the get the traversing fully operational
corsair5517 wrote:Is that why the M19 is closed this season, Malcolm?
The M19 is open this year but the interconnected 634 is not due to the above work being undertaken.

Regards,
Attachments
php2PiCRtAM.jpg

M19 MADMAL

Post by M19 MADMAL » 01 Apr 2013, 22:43

Hi Bunker fans

A historical re-enactment sponsored by Starburst Fireworks in co-operation with the CIOS & Unseen Jeresy took place at Stp. Corbiere in March which 'showed' events that involved Herr Horst Herrmann who was a crew member of the 10.5cm casemate ' K2' in late 1943 which was in 3 parts (search on this forum 'The Soldiers who served at Stp Corbiere' for more info on the actual events :wink: ).

The 1st part shows when Horst was larking around in front of 'K2' in late 43 and fell into the barbwire perimiter fence which also contained 'Lichtminen' or 'Light mines' which was a flare set off by a trip wire. When he fell he not only set off 1 flare but loads of them went off from everywhere around the casemate! Horst thought he got away with it, but the Kriegsmarine soldier in the nearby MP2 complained about this 'firework display' and Horst was threatened with a courtmartial for his actions!

The 2nd part is actually firing the 10.5cm gun (the gun does actually fire a round then the other shots seen are from racks infront of the gun). A job Horst only did once but he had previously experienced the 10.5 being fired and at the point of firing the blast wave in the gun room caught him completely by suprise and sent him flying up the corridor on his arse. Much to the dis pleasure of the gun commander! When he did fire the gun by pulling the lanyard, he was so nervous from his first experience that his hands were sweaty and the lanyard slipped through them. The Commander thought that the gun had misfired and ordered everbody out on the double, with Horst then having to explain what happend. He was again threatened with a courtmartial!!!

The 3rd part is fantacy and shows the 10.5cm gun firing along with several soldiers (of the Local TA squadron and members of the C.I. Living History Group) firing automatic weapons out to sea along with the M19 mortar firing ( 8-) ) while the Allies zero in on their target with a naval bombardment on the casemate to silence the gun!

Filmed by 'Si' of Unseen Jersey

Other news of note is that the interconnected M19 & 6 Sch. bunkers now on mains electricity 8-)
Regards,

M19 MADMAL

Post by M19 MADMAL » 16 Apr 2013, 23:33

Hi all,

A couple of updates on work at Stp. Corbiere.

Firstly, it was realised that a horizontal scratch with residual dark coloured paint made in the concrete above the recess in the tunnel at the M19 end was left by a metal 'Schrank' of some kind and this theory was boosted by several noticable scrapes caused by moving a large 'object' on the wall of the ventilation room at the start of the stairwell down to the tunnel (and also some help from Kurt! :D ). The likely contender was a metal cabinet for holding gas contaminated clothes, and as one was on display in the ventilation room it was man-handled down into the tunnel. It was noted that more scratches on the stairwell walls were caused by the original on its journey in & out of the tunnel which was not an easy job and I have the bruises to show for it! 8O

The first photo below shows the Schrank in the tunnel where the original stood. The 'wet' areas and signs on the wall highlight loads of penciled 'bunker art' which includes the number '14078' which looks like it was a count of 7.92mm ammunition (hence the 'Kastern 88' crates) and also the improved racks for holding trinkwasser bottles, as recalled by local who visited the bunker just after the Liberation.

The second photo shows the crew room of the 634 which is undergoing a major referbishment. Not the position of the lower bunks and the 'Kastern 88' crates. Thanks to some photos coming to light in the CIOS archive that show this room 'as found' in 1984 it was noted that the bunk hooks were still in place (although later removed for use at other restored sites before I came along in 1994) and that each of the lowest bunk hooks were redrilled so that they were raised higher than normally permitted. After a bit of thought as to why this would have been done, it became obvious that this was to allow for the storage of 'Kastern 88' crates holding 7.92mm ammo for the MG34's as there are not many practical places to store the ammo crates within the 634.

Regards,
Attachments
phpYBSiOyPM.jpg
The tunnel
phpIMSzHKPM.jpg
634 crew room

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 17 Apr 2013, 11:05

Good work Malcolm and interesting discoveries. Really nice examples of everyday life in the bunkers during the war and the practical solutions for problems!

M19 MADMAL

Post by M19 MADMAL » 08 Sep 2013, 00:27

Hi all,

Many of the members of this forum will be aware of Herr Engelbert Hoppe who was the commander of the M19 bunker at Stp. corbiere from late May 1944 until May 9th 1945 when the Island was Liberated. http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=153219

The sad news arrived that he passed away on 11th July 2013. He first returned to Jersey in June 2006 tuning up at the M19 bunker (which happened to be open to the public) and stated that he was its last commander during the war! Engelbert had returned to Jersey, and specially La Corbiere, to "Pay tribute to friends passed away long ago, at least finding their graves and to be as near to them as I was when they accepted me as a human being that had become an occupier not of his own making."

The biggest suprise for Engelbert apon his return was his former M19 bunker which he had expected to find as ruins, but found it as if he had just left yesterday! Engelbert was a remarkable person,and it was a privilege to have known him even though it was only for a short time. The kindness he exprerienced from the Le Brocqs (who lived about 50 meters from the M19 bunker during the war) as well as other locals changed his view of life, and it was responsible for the hard, and sometimes difficalt work he personally under took in reconciliation between England and Germany in the immediate post-war period. Engelbert had always regretted that he had not returned to Jersey sooner than he did, but his visits brought many unexpected new friends and the fact that he was received with open arms gave him much pleasure and revitalised him in his final years.

The full story of Engelbert's time on Jersey as well as his life as a POW can be found in the C.I. Occupation Reviews No 35 and 37 which can be obtained from http://www.ciosjersey.org.uk

Regards,
Attachments
110508.jpg
Herr Engelbert Hoppe and myself in May 2008. The bed behind Engelbert is where he slept and has wartime photo of him on it with "I slept here in 1944/45!"

c_hoff82

Post by c_hoff82 » 09 Sep 2013, 20:59

Sad news. It was a good thing you got to know him. RIP.

M19 MADMAL

Post by M19 MADMAL » 11 Oct 2013, 23:41

Hi all,

When the Type 634 was constructed, and to make a suitable entrance after cutting/blasting through the rock to bring in the electricity cable, the Germans used sand bags to 'repair' the entrance trench to the bunker. At the same time they also cut out a hollow on each side of the entrance for emplacing an Abwehrflammenwerfer 42 to cover areas of 'dead ground' caused by rock outcrops blocking the 6 Sch. field of fire.

A rifle pit was also built onto one side. It has a partially concreted floor which is thought to have been done to give a firm base for pressing the flamethrower's detonation plunger on. Of note is how the Germans have gone to the effort of cutting out exact sized gaps into the rocks, which the sand bags fit into perfectly :o

Over the last couple of years work has been on-going on replacing the sand bags (now concrete filled) to return the entrance to its original state as well as re-installing the rifle nest. Two replica Abwehrflammenwerfers were fabricated from various width steel poles and, after using an original to get the correct position etc, again noting the recess in the rock for the flamethrower tank has been cut out to size exactly 8-) (see 2 or 3 pages back), the 634 entrance has been re-armed!

Regards,
Attachments
634ent1.jpg
The rifle nest with its original concrete floor and the eastern firing replica Abwehrflammenwerfer 42 which fired over the edge of the road oppersite
634ent2.jpg
The western Abwehrflammenwerfer 42 which fired into a gully through a large outcrop of rock nearby
634ent3.jpg
General view with the 634's flanking wall. The concrete block with a metal loop in the forground is original and was found when the bunker was opened up in 2005.

wimve

Post by wimve » 12 Oct 2013, 09:39

Malcolm,

As always I am amazed what time and effort you guys put in.
Looks good , as always..
Thanks,

Wim
www.petromax.nl
3D : http://www.petromax.nl/Hanstholm.html
http://www.petromax.nl/DeBeer.html

Heim62

Post by Heim62 » 12 Oct 2013, 10:57

Congrats Malcom,
you have done and still doing a fantastic job. Keep on like this to preserve the both historic memories of the Island and of the Wall.
:thumbsup:

RV

der bunkermann

Post by der bunkermann » 12 Oct 2013, 21:13

Hi malcolm, what do you mean with plunger for activating the abw. Flamm. 42?
I thought it was fired by a igniting a pressure charge under the cap and electric igniter from a switch board?
Please explane cause i'm very curious 8O

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”