Madsen-Suomi and Waffen SS

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
keith A

Madsen-Suomi and Waffen SS

Post by keith A » 15 Nov 2012, 19:39

Did the Danish Waffen SS use the Suomi in significant numbers in the battles of 1941-2? I have seen pictures of it in use by SS soldiers but I am specifically interested in the Danish units. I wld also like to Kkonw if it was in use by the Nordland Division.

regards

K

John Hilly

Re: Madsen-Suomi and Waffen SS

Post by John Hilly » 16 Nov 2012, 20:26

The Finns in SS-Reg Nordland received some(?) Suomi MPs from Finland to be used in 'Stosstruppe' attacks and patrols.
After Finns left back home in 1943 I have no idea what happened to those MPs. It is very possible that they were left behind and so to be used by other Nordlanders.

Where did you get this Madsen-Suomi frase?

Regards
Juha-Pekka :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

JTV

Post by JTV » 16 Nov 2012, 23:04

What I have heard from Danish sources, it seems highly unlikely that SS would have had Suomi submachineguns manufactured in Denmark in their use in 1941 - 1942. Apparently Danish-manufactured Suomi submachineguns went to Danish military, which the Germans didn't disarm until August - October of 1943.

Jarkko

keith A

Post by keith A » 24 Nov 2012, 00:13

Thanks chaps, I wondered if the Frikorps Danmark had some, but maybe they only had german smg?

regards

Keith

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 24 Nov 2012, 00:39

JTV wrote:What I have heard from Danish sources, it seems highly unlikely that SS would have had Suomi submachineguns manufactured in Denmark in their use in 1941 - 1942. Apparently Danish-manufactured Suomi submachineguns went to Danish military, which the Germans didn't disarm until August - October of 1943.
Couldn't this make it possible that some of those Danish military Suomi-guns ended to the Freikorps Denmark.
Korps were backed up Danish Gov., although not officially???

With best
Juha-Pekka :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

JTV

Post by JTV » 24 Nov 2012, 07:16

John Hilly wrote: Couldn't this make it possible that some of those Danish military Suomi-guns ended to the Freikorps Denmark.
Korps were backed up Danish Gov., although not officially???
Pretty much anything in possible, but when it comes to how likely that may have been, there would be very much need some real information about the matter. Unfortunately I don't have any sources about weaponry of Freikorps Denmark. My email-exhange about Suomi submachinegun in Danish use with two experts from Denmark was very much focused on weapons manufactured there under license and those that the Danish Brigade equipped in Sweden brought with them in 1945. Might also be worth noting that October of 1944 there were plans for possibly equipping the Danish Brigade with weapons bought from Finland, although in the end the unit seems to have been equipped with Swedish-manufactured equipment.

Jarkko

keith A

Post by keith A » 24 Nov 2012, 15:25

Thanks again gentlemen,

The foto I found last night shows a Frikorps soldier with an SMG with a wooden stock. Initially I thought it looked like a Erma-Vollmer but looking again it may be a Bergmann M35 (the magazine seems to be on the wrong side) and the stock has a more distinct pistol shape.... The other Frikorps oldier in the foto has an MP40. The foto must date from 1942 because Schalburg is present.

So, Bergmann M32/M35? I know they were issued to the ROA late in the war.

regards

Keith

Return to “Small Arms”