how common was the mp28 in ww2?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
PanzerKurt

how common was the mp28 in ww2?

Post by PanzerKurt » 18 Apr 2014, 17:06

I am in the process of buying an mp28 and while i have seen them in alot of photos, (as well as a deadliest warrior episode...and i know that was silly), im curious :milwink: :milwink: how common the mp28 was among the german forces of ww2, especially the waffen ss. thanks!

Poot

Re: how common was the mp28 in ww2?

Post by Poot » 18 Apr 2014, 21:19

You'll get an indeterminate range of subjective responses by asking 'how common,' I'd think. In this case, I think photographic evidence would be your best bet, and even that will only give you a relative idea. I think all of the MP28s I've seen in pictures have been fielded by SS Police units or anti-partisan enforcement types. It seems that the sub-gun of choice for combat engagements was the MP38 or 40.
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: how common was the mp28 in ww2?

Post by John G. » 19 Apr 2014, 13:43

Poot wrote:You'll get an indeterminate range of subjective responses by asking 'how common,' I'd think. In this case, I think photographic evidence would be your best bet, and even that will only give you a relative idea. I think all of the MP28s I've seen in pictures have been fielded by SS Police units or anti-partisan enforcement types. It seems that the sub-gun of choice for combat engagements was the MP38 or 40.
Pat
Yes, by WW 2 the MP-28 was considered a secondary weapon, most had been relegated to storage, issue for Police & Security/Aux. purposes, or "Sold" for export (Spain, Finnland, Sweden?, S.America?) or "given" to fascist allies or pro-nazi "5th colunm" types..... when the war broke out...those supplies still available seem to have been mostly associated with Polizei and SS Polizei "types", including "foreign Auxillaries" and units like the Prinz Eugen Div., for example (all anti-partisan).... though I recall photos of LW personnel carring one in early Russian campaign.

On the scale of things....the MP28 would be in "small numbers" compared to the MP38u40 or MP 44, and any issue to front line units being very limited...still considered a secondary "issue" but it would certianly do the job when kept clean and the ammo was "good"...

The reason these are now available is because of those exported prewar....they were/are available "surplus" as parts and complete dewat or live weapons... certianly fine for dispaly and a fine weapon...but not the "classic" one for sure.
John G.

Return to “Small Arms”