Difference between MP40 and MP38

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
panzer228

Difference between MP40 and MP38

Postby panzer228 » 03 Apr 2008 02:41

What is the difference between the german submachine guns, MP40, and the MP38? They both look the same, so how could they be any different?

jbaum

Re: Difference between MP40 and MP38

Postby jbaum » 03 Apr 2008 06:31

They are more alike than different, but there are differences.
The MP38 was made with several parts of machined steel, while the MP40 used many sheet metal stampings. Other improvements occurred during development of the MP38 and MP40, but were not limited to the implementation of the new model. These include changing the rest bar from aluminum to plastic, a threaded barrel for a blank adapter, and the addition of a safety to lock the bolt in place, which prevented an accidental discharge if the gun was dropped.
In short, as the war continued, ways were found to cheapen and speed up the production of the MP. This occurs naturally with the development of any wartime gun, most notably the redesign of the US Thompson SMG (the change from the 1928 model to the M1), but also occurred with guns from all nations.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

mikel

Postby mikel » 19 Apr 2008 03:58

Most visible aspects were fluted or corregated reciever on the '38, and the hook shaped cocking handle.

The lock added to the MP40 handle was an improvement, but they were still rather dangerous to carry as is any of the old open bolt weapons.
That design has long faded away.

Sarge

Postby Sarge » 19 Apr 2008 08:23

Pistol grip was aluminum on the 38 and steel on the 40.
38 muzzle nut was solid knurl and the 40 had a bare ring around it in the middle.
I think that about covers all the differences.
All parts are interchangeable.
Sarge

Dare Furor

Postby Dare Furor » 29 Apr 2008 23:20

Could some kind friend please post some pictures?

Vielen dank,

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

pzrwest

Postby pzrwest » 30 Apr 2008 03:43

I can attest to both the mp38 and the mp40 being dangerous dispite the improved safety. My uboot friend Edgar accidentally shot him self with an mp40. He was going on watch while the boot was docked and since he couldn't carry the weapon up through the hatch he hung it by the strap on a hook just inside the hatch then climbed out of the hatch onto the deck. He then reached down and grabed the mp40 by the barrel and proceeded to lift it up through the hatch. The bolt cocking handle caught on the edge of the hatch and pulled it to the rear but not far enough to catch on the sear. It then slammed forward fireing a round through his arm and up into his arm pit sending him to hospital. You could say this accident actually saved his life.... for his boot and fellow crewmen left for sea duty the next morning. Sadly they were never heard from again U650 was sunk in the North Atlantic with all hands on board. I asked Edgar what training he was given on the care and use of the mp40 and his rersponse was he was shown how to put the magazine in and take it out, then how to cock and fire the weapon.... that was it. During his basic training he was only taught the k98. He said there was little use for weapons on a uboat. The only time they were brought out was when they were docked and standing watch.

Ardee

Postby Ardee » 02 May 2008 17:29

Dare Furor wrote:Could some kind friend please post some pictures?

Vielen dank,

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

http://www.earmi.it/armi/atlas2/640.htm

Mark V
Financial supporter

Postby Mark V » 03 May 2008 18:07

pzrwest wrote:He then reached down and grabed the mp40 by the barrel and proceeded to lift it up through the hatch. The bolt cocking handle caught on the edge of the hatch and pulled it to the rear but not far enough to catch on the sear. It then slammed forward fireing a round through his arm and up into his arm pit sending him to hospital.

Hi.

Your friend is sailor, so no problem. Nobody would expect him to be master handling such weapon. He knew his own trade, and he never received proper training handling MP-40 safely.

But still. Not weapons fault. By your description - it was an case of REALLY bad handling doomed to end in accidental discharge.

You NEVER grab the barrel as an carrying handle (OK- unless it is rifle carried over to your shoulder, and i don't like that habit a bit either), and especially you DON'T point loaded or unloaded weapon to you or any other person...(i know, i have scar till end of my life from "unloaded" weapon - not handled by me).

He did BOTH, and completed the firing cycle of open bolt firing SMG by that snagging cocking handle.

In the end. It went very well. Like you said, it saved his life.

Regards, Mark V

Return to “Small Arms”