Is there any way to track the history of of a G33/40 mauser?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
darkone666

Is there any way to track the history of of a G33/40 mauser?

Post by darkone666 » 11 Jun 2011, 03:17

Hello. I was wondering if anyone can help me find the history of a 1940 produced G33/40 Mauser that was brought home by my great uncle? I know the date of manufacture (early first year BRNO) and plant but am curious how a rifle used by Fallschirm and Gebirgs troops was obtained by an US artilleryman in 1945. The rifle is in excellent shape and functions and fires very well, but hasn`t been fired in 20 yrs. My grandfather`s brother gave this to him after the war and my grandfather gave this to my father in the 80`s. Also this one is missing the front sight hood and cleaning rod and I would like to replace them if possible. I have seen that no K98 parts interchange.
Also from my great uncle was another bring back I have never been able to find anything about. It is a .22 cal (short?) single shot pistol. There are no caliber or manufacturer stamps that I recognize on it. I have pictures of it and there is a stamp on the reciever that I don`t recognize and on the bottom left of the frame under the wood is stamped H&AK 41/2. It appears to be pre WWII but I don`t have any idea where to satr looking. I found an auction from six years ago that shows a very similar pistol that was advertised as a "Parlour Pistol pre 1899".
Any help would be most appreciated.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Is there any way to track the history of of a G33/40 mau

Post by John G. » 11 Jun 2011, 13:55

As far as the G33/40 goes....there's no was to literally "track" it's history....though some assumptions could be drawn from the possible markings, numbers, condition.....if it's a 1940 100% German made version....probably would have gone primarily to Para. or Mountian troops....but also could have gone to Police and other Auxillerary units, too! Many thousands (100s of thousands?) were also "handed out" unissued to arm latewar Volksstrum & "scratch" Army units....at the end of the war....

You'd probably have a hardtime finding German G33/40 parts...even the rod & sighthood....but I suspect the Pre-nazi version parts might be easier to locate and maybe "the same" (or close)....though seems to me the sighthood was non-removible on the Prewar version of the rifle. (Been along time since I was into "guns"....).

The condition should tell if it saw lots of service (or neglect) or if it's "fresh out of the warehouse"....
Can't help with the pistol...that you really need pictures....
John G.

Sarge

Re: Is there any way to track the history of of a G33/40 mau

Post by Sarge » 06 Jul 2011, 08:47

In general there is no way to track firearms of any country in WW 2.
One exception is to find a Soldbuch that lists a rifle or pistol by ser nr - AND mfg code/year. Yes such does exist, but Very, Very Rare! I have seen one in 55 yrs.
To all practical purposes No such info exists and probably did not durring the war.
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Return to “Small Arms”