Yugo Capture Mauser Identification help

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Rturo92

Yugo Capture Mauser Identification help

Post by Rturo92 » 28 Aug 2014, 15:51

Hello all! I recently picked up a Yugo Captured German Mauser. It has all matching numbers except for the firing pin, which as I understand was rather common. As is also common with the Yugo Captures, most all nazi markings have been removed. I would like to know what factory and what year it was made as well as anything else I can find out about the rifle. As I am sure you are all much more learned about these rifles and their history than I am, I reach out to you for help. Here is what I have regarding this rifle:

the serial number is 5 digits: C78**
I found a wafenamt on the bolt stop (waffenamt 280)

I am just starting to date and research this rifle further, so if there are any other markings or clues i should look for, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

Poot

Re: Yugo Capture Mauser Identification help

Post by Poot » 13 Sep 2014, 01:44

Unless your receiver still has the factory and year codes on it, there is now no way to answer your question. Only the 'W' prefix Yugoslav K98k rebuilds seem to have retained these, with all of the others being ground away. These are all parts guns, assembled rather than truly 'built' by the post-war Communist government using the arms left in country by the Wehrmacht. As you've noted, some of the small parts retain their old serial numbers and even some WaA stamps, but nothing else.

On the plus side, most of these were re-barreled during the rebuild process, so you're likely to have a rifle that will perform well at the range.
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

JTV

Re: Yugo Capture Mauser Identification help

Post by JTV » 13 Sep 2014, 09:54

Poot wrote:These are all parts guns, assembled rather than truly 'built' by the post-war Communist government using the arms left in country by the Wehrmacht.
+1

"Serbian and Yugoslav Mausers" by Branko Bogdanovic is supposedly the best book about the subject:
https://www.northcapepubs.com/#anchor7059999

Rturo92, you might also want to check this discussion:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... rest-study

Jarkko

Return to “Small Arms”