Spanish Royal 7.65mm pistol

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
haibin

Spanish Royal 7.65mm pistol

Post by haibin » 27 Apr 2015, 15:35

My literature search shows that this is very likely a Spanish 7.65mm large capacity pistol manufactured by M. Zulaica, with a detachable 12-round magazine. Can any one tell me more about this pistol, like weight, length, muzzle velocity and effective range, etc. This is one of the Embar/Ruby pistols? Thanks. Haibin
Attachments
royal pistol.jpg
grip panel.jpg

Knouterer

Re: Spanish Royal 7.65mm pistol

Post by Knouterer » 27 Apr 2015, 17:01

At first glance, this looks like a pistol made by a Chinese workshop or small factory in the 1920s or 1930s, in which case the name on the grips is meaningless, as such producers would use any names that took their fancy. It is certainly loosely based on the Spanish 7.65 mm "Ruby-type" pistols, which were made by a large variety of gunmakers, including the three brothers Marcelo, Pio and Toribio Zulaica Unamuno, who at times worked together in a common firm and at other times independently.

My reason to think it is a Chinese copy is, apart from the quality/finish, the unusually long barrel (and grip) which is often seen on Chinese handguns in this modest calibre, I believe. Have a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNaB7l2GQk
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 27 Apr 2015, 17:39

Seems like I was wrong and it is Spanish after all:
http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewit ... 64/lid/845
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

haibin

Post by haibin » 30 Apr 2015, 04:41

Dear Knoutere,
Thanks for your information. It helps a lot, especially the photos in the website you recommended.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 30 Apr 2015, 09:58

Knouterer wrote:At first glance, this looks like a pistol made by a Chinese workshop or small factory in the 1920s or 1930s, in which case the name on the grips is meaningless, as such producers would use any names that took their fancy. It is certainly loosely based on the Spanish 7.65 mm "Ruby-type" pistols, which were made by a large variety of gunmakers, including the three brothers Marcelo, Pio and Toribio Zulaica Unamuno, who at times worked together in a common firm and at other times independently.
My reason to think it is a Chinese copy is, apart from the quality/finish, the unusually long barrel (and grip) which is often seen on Chinese handguns in this modest calibre, I believe. Have a look at this video:
Actually, those "Royal" pistols were made in Spain by the "Beistegui Hermanos" company (though the "Royal" brand had been originally registered in 1909 by Marcelo Zulaica, "Beistegui Hermanos" obtained in 1926 his permission to register the brand as its own). This brand was used for their Ruby-type 12-shot, 7.65 mm pistols intended for the Chinese market, which were distributed in China by Japanese middlemen.

Return to “Small Arms”