Lets see those firearms !

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
ROLAND1369

Re: Lets see those firearms !

Post by ROLAND1369 » 29 Jan 2017, 15:48

This was at the alliance Airport Airshow 2 years ago in the DFW Texas area. The M 38a1 is a 1955 model. I have a 54 that I am also in the process of restoring. The bird is an AC 47 but I don't know who it belongs to. There is however a slick c 47 that belons to the small museum at Mechem Field, Fort Worth, TX.

superbad88

Post by superbad88 » 24 Apr 2017, 01:54

ROLAND1369 wrote:This was at the alliance Airport Airshow 2 years ago in the DFW Texas area. The M 38a1 is a 1955 model. I have a 54 that I am also in the process of restoring. The bird is an AC 47 but I don't know who it belongs to. There is however a slick c 47 that belons to the small museum at Mechem Field, Fort Worth, TX.
Would they happen to be part of the Commemorative Air Force that used to be out of Midland, Tx?

colt45

Post by colt45 » 25 Apr 2017, 16:25

Image .... mimatures

colt45

Post by colt45 » 25 Apr 2017, 20:28

clauss

Post by clauss » 02 Sep 2017, 14:53

Hi all!

This is my Danish M/89 carbine with a little accessories. Made in 1944, so one of last ones made, and at the time when Denmark was under German occupation. It was pretty dirty when I got it, and i got this nice surprise while cleaning it, that it´s faintly German marked with "WaA6" - such a nice surprise :D

Best regards, and happy collecting
Claus
Attachments
WaA61.JPG
M891.JPG

Poot

Post by Poot » 04 Sep 2017, 00:37

Hello Clauss,
I do not enjoy being the bearer of bad news, but I think the WaA marking might be fake. There have been a few of these that have turned up with a similar marking. WaA 6 wouldn't make any sense on these as that was the code assigned to Simson & Suhl in Thuringia. While they most certainly produced small arms, there is no evidence that Simson had anything to do with production of Krag rifles in occupied Denmark. The marking seen on other Danish Krags that have been suspected of being faked is WaA 84, which was the code for the Waffen Amt team at Kongsberg, Norway. This code was never associated with any facilities or activities in occupied Denmark, which produced small arms for the Danish forces. The WaA codes were applied to items produced directly under German control, or within the boundaries of the Reich. For items like this, I would also expect to see a German firing proof, indicating that a weapon produced in a German or German controlled factory passed a pressure test with proofing cartridges. Does your rifle have any other non-Danish markings?

If anything, a captured Danish Krag should have an HZa (Heereszeugamt) stamp. These were applied to all kinds of captured rifles and carbines, and indicate what is currently believed to have been some kind of inspection process to determine the fitness for duty for an individual firearm, or possibly a representative sample of a larger group. Absence of a HZa stamp does not mean that a particular firearm was never captured or used, though. Many types display indications of German use/modification that are very consistent and even typical. The HZa stamps were usually applied to the underside of the stock wrist, or generally on the underside of the stock between the trigger guard and the butt plate. I have a Model 1889/10 Krag like your's, and it is HZa stamped on the underside of the wrist.

None of this should detract from the fact that you have a very nice rifle, though. Do all of the serial numbers match? Ammunition for these is very difficult to find in the US, so I don't plan to shoot mine.

Best,
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

clauss

Post by clauss » 08 Sep 2017, 21:29

Hello Pat,
Thank you for your reply. I have only seen a few Danish guns and gun accessories that have been German marked, and those were also marked with the WaA6. But I´m not that strong in were the different waffenamt stamps have been in use, so you might be right. I did take the rifle completely apart when i got it, and on the down side where the barrel and reciver connect, the reciver has a spot which has been grinded down, and my thoughts was that it has been denazified after the war - I have been inspecting it really good to find other German markings, or rest of markings, and did not find any, so you might be right.
But thanks for the kind words about my rifle, yes it is all matching and in very good condition with a nice smooth bore. Ammunition is very hard to find here to, but know and then you can get lucky and find some old ammunition from the military, often some very old stuff from the 1920 - 1930´s. But then you have the casings for reloading, and there is actually quite a few historical shooters here that still shoots the different variations of the M/1889 rifles. If you ever come across ammunition, you own yourself to take yours to the range, it´s a wonderful and good precise rifle to shoot.

Best
Claus

clauss

Post by clauss » 09 Sep 2017, 20:50

This is my M1 Carbine, and one of many dropped to the resistance in Europe by the OSE/OSS - I have been searching on the serial number, and this is one of them. Just love this little Carbine, such a joy to shoot, and it never fails, even so I have been mainly shooting with WWII ammo - damn good ammo made back then!
Shown with a faintly marked mag-purch for two 15 cartridge mag´s with US on the front, and a very faintly 194? and maker mark on the back.
The can with 800 rounds is originale drop ammo from WWII.
I just love to bring my M1 Carbine to the range, such a great little Carbine :D

Oh! And is this little Carbine obsolete and out of service...it´s actually still in service with the Danish Police in Greenland.

Happy collecting to your all!
Attachments
US Carbine M1.JPG

Poot

Post by Poot » 10 Sep 2017, 06:24

Clauss,
My 1889/10 has a beautiful condition barrel, so it is certainly tempting! I really want to keep this one in the best shape possible, so I plan to be very gentle with it. The vast majority of my shooting is done with AR-15's which I love, but I also enjoy shooting and reloading for many WWII military surplus rifles, too. Who knows, maybe someday I'll shoot my Danish rifle...!

Outstanding M1 Carbine! That's fantastic, and the carton of ammunition makes it even better. Congratulations!

Best,
Pat

clauss

Post by clauss » 15 Sep 2017, 17:13

Pat,
Wonderful to hear that your 1889/10 is with a barrel in good condition, and great to hear that your take good care of this sweet Dane. Thanks for the kind words about my M1 Carbine. It´s in great condition, but that´s most of the M1 Carbines around here. The M1 Carbine´s that came as drop weapons here did only see very little, if any, action. I love the old carton / can with ammunition - both my M1 Carbine and the can are keepers i will never let go off!
I´m also into both shooting and reloading, and I do take good care af my WWII rifles! They are only brought to the range now and then. But what a joy to shoot these oldies!
AR-15´s are great modern rifles, I have been shooting a lot with them....miss my Canadian C7 that I had as a service rifle.

Best
Claus

Poot

Post by Poot » 16 Sep 2017, 06:59

Good for you, keep up the good work!
I had a case of 1943 dated .45ACP that had 'not quite made it to the Pacific as intended' that was given to me by the daughter of a US Pacific coast dock worker that I traded to a good friend in exchange for SIG pistol magazines. I had been using a SIG on duty as a sidearm so I needed more range/training magazines than I owned at the time. I almost wish I had kept the case of ammunition, but the needs of the time outweighed the desire to preserve a historical relic. That's just how things go sometimes.

You probably have nicer M1 Carbines there than we do here in the US!
Best,
Pat

Geof

Post by Geof » 17 Nov 2017, 05:25

Here's my boys
rsz_guncouch3.jpg
rsz_guncouch4.jpg
rsz_guncouch5.jpg
rsz_guncouch6.jpg
rsz_guncouch7.jpg

Geof

Post by Geof » 17 Nov 2017, 05:26

Next photos...
rsz_guncouch1.jpg
rsz_guncouch2.jpg

CroGer

Post by CroGer » 17 Nov 2017, 07:51

Geof wrote:Here's my boys

rsz_guncouch3.jpgrsz_guncouch4.jpgrsz_guncouch5.jpgrsz_guncouch6.jpgrsz_guncouch7.jpg

OMFG. You are a GOD! Holy cow. Is that an MP41? 8O
Sperg

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 17 Nov 2017, 14:54

Safety locks on any of those firearms?

Return to “Small Arms”