Hans Rose

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Igor Starikow

Hans Rose

Post by Igor Starikow » 12 Jan 2008, 08:50

Dear Friends!

Please, help me again with the search Info about Kapitänleutnant Hans Rose and may be Date of his promotions.

?.4.1903 Seekadett
?.?.1904 Fähnrich zur See
28.9.1906 Leutnant zur See
15.7.1908 Oberleutnant zur See
14.7.1914 Kapitänleutnant
? Korvettenkapitän
? Fregattenkapitän z.V.
? Fregattenkapitän
1.7.1942 Kapitän zur See

Does anyone have a complete list of his awards and decorations? Info about Hans Rose from this sources: Hildebrand/ Zweng: "Die Ritter des Ordens Pour le Mérite des I. Weltkriegs", Band 2 would be very interesting for me.

Thanks
Igor

deutschearmee

Re: Hans Rose

Post by deutschearmee » 23 Mar 2008, 05:23

Hans Rose
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Hans Rose

Hanse Rose before World War I
Allegiance German Empire
Nazi Germany
Service/branch Kaiserliche Marine
Kriegsmarine
Rank Fregattenkapitän
Commands U-2
U-53, Jan 1, 1917 – Aug 17, 1918
Battles/wars Battle of the Atlantic (1914-1918)
Awards Pour le Mérite
Hans Rose was one of the most successful and highly decorated German U-boat commander in the Kaiserliche Marine during World War I.

Rose was one of the most respected and brave U-boat commanders and famous for his humanity and fairness in battle. Sometimes when he torpedoed a ship he would wait until all the lifeboats were filled, he would then throw a tow line, give the victims food, keeping all the survivors together until a rescuing destroyer appeared on the horizon when he would let go and submerge. There exist many reports of him caring for survivors even when putting his own boat at risk.

Rose sank 79 ships for a total of 213,987 tons during the entire war.

[edit] World War I
In September 1916 Rose brought U-53 to Newport, Rhode Island, much to the amazement of the American Authorities. He proceeded to dock and then invite the American Naval Officers and their wives aboard to view his gleaming vessel. After delivering a message to the German Ambassador he proceeded offshore to the Nantucket light. He sent five or six ships to the bottom having questioned their captains on their cargo and ordered the abandonment of their ships.

On March 11, 1917 Rose, still in command of U-53, torpedoed and sunk the 6705 tons Cunard Liner RMS Folia.

On December 6, 1917 Rose torpedoed and sunk USS Jacob Jones which was the first American destroyer to be lost during the First World War. The torpedo hit USS Jacob Jones at 3,000 yards, the longest successful torpedo shot on record. On December 20, 1917 Rose was awarded the Pour le Mérite for his achievements in the tonnage war. He owned also the Ritterkreuz des Hohenzollerschen Hausordens mit Schwertern.

[edit] World War II
Hans Rose was in command of 1. Unterseeboots-Ausbildungsabteilung (Uboat training unit) from February 1940 to May 1940.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Rose

He was Fregattenkapitän !

http://uboat.net/flotillas/uaa-1.htm
http://www.deutsche-armee.com/blog - Die Deutsche Wehrmacht - Helden oder Verbrecher ? Der Blog der Wissen schafft !

NRose

Post by NRose » 08 Mar 2012, 05:32

I am Hans Rose's grandson. I might be able to tell you a few things. My father Chris Rose is still alive as well. We live in Canada.

bigpipe

Post by bigpipe » 13 Apr 2012, 00:32

I'd like to get in touch with 'nrose' who identified himself as Hans Rose's grandson. I have various questions about Hans Rose, but specifically would be interested if family members would know who (or how to find out-German records) were the one or two sailors he took aboard (prisoner or badly wounded) U 53 from the U.S.S. Jacob Jones which he is credited with sinking. Thanks for being available.

fakatona

Post by fakatona » 20 Apr 2015, 01:11

Fregattenkapitän Hans Rose in Trondheim,Norway.
Attachments
00.jpg
Fregattenkapitän Hans Rose

do366

Post by do366 » 31 Aug 2016, 21:24

I'm looking for Rose. I'm working on a master's degree at the US Naval War College in Newport RI. This October marks the 100th anniversary of Hans Rose's visit to this very building in U 53. I chose to do a research paper on this fascinating visit and would be very interested in speaking to a family member.

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 01 Sep 2016, 19:23

A detailed bio of Rose is in Bodo Herzog/Günter Schomakers "Ritter der Tiefe - Graue Wölfe", Verlag Welsermühl, München-Wels, 1965 on the pages 173 - 188!

Dieter Z.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 29 Sep 2016, 02:16

Dear 'NRose:

Welcome to the forum! Did you ever meet you grandfather Hans before? Did you father ever told you about his relationship with Hans? I bet you got an adventure story from you father about Hans Rose.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

NRose

Post by NRose » 06 Dec 2016, 01:07

We have been working with an historian how Has compiled an extensive and comprehensive account of Hans Rose's career and life. For those interested , I could facilitate an introduction. Nick Rose

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 08 Dec 2016, 02:50

Hello Nick,

Did Hans Rose volunteer for submarine duty from commanding a torpedo boat or was he assigned? Because he was a surface warship commander was he fast tracked to command a submarine? That is was the time spent as a submarine watch officer shortened because he already was a surface warship commander and was believed to more quickly transition to command of a submarine.

Will a book be coming out on Hans Rose? What historian?

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 10 Sep 2018, 23:39

I see the book referred to above is now available.
https://www.amberley-books.com/der-kapitan.html

Return to “Imperial Germany”