German uniforms of WWI

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Ken S.

Re: German uniforms of WWI

Post by Ken S. » 26 May 2010, 19:05

lizardsoup1982 wrote:I have multiple photos of family in uniform. Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about any of them! Please help if you can!
-Elizabeth
I believe the upper photo was taken in Danzig, possibly a member of one of the field artillery regiments garrisoned there. The photo was probably taken late 1890s, as there is no flaming grenade insignia on his shoulder boards.

The lower photo looks to be a member of an Eisenbahn (railway) unit taken shortly before or, more likely, during the war.

norwoodcj

Post by norwoodcj » 27 May 2010, 05:01

"from: Goettinger Kriegsgedenkbuch, p. 42:
Simon, Walter, Erlangen 95, V Univ.-Prof., reform/Student, Kr.Fr. Lt. d. R. Gebirgs-Masch.-Gew..-Abt. 242, Machault 3/10.18"

Ken ... or any other members:

I'm sorry but I don't read German. What does the above tell me? Thanks!!!!!

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 27 May 2010, 07:33

norwoodcj wrote:"from: Goettinger Kriegsgedenkbuch, p. 42:
Simon, Walter, Erlangen 95, V Univ.-Prof., reform/Student, Kr.Fr. Lt. d. R. Gebirgs-Masch.-Gew..-Abt. 242, Machault 3/10.18"

Ken ... or any other members:

I'm sorry but I don't read German. What does the above tell me? Thanks!!!!!
from the Goettingen [War] Memorial Book:
Walter Simon was born in Erlangen in 1895, father was a university professor, religion is Reformed, occupation is Student, wartime volunteer, rank Reserve Lieutenant, was a member of 242nd Alpine Machine Gun Section, died at Machault October 3, 1918.

About a third of the way down on this page there is a bit of information about Gebirgs Maschinengewehr Abteilung, although the 242nd is only briefly mentioned:
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Sc ... lmets.html

norwoodcj

Post by norwoodcj » 28 May 2010, 02:57

Thank you, Ken, for the interpretation and information. Now I have a question about the book that you refer to "Goettingen [War] Memorial Book". Does it list all the war dead from Goettingen? Are there photographs of each soldier? Carol

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 29 May 2010, 21:31

norwoodcj wrote:Thank you, Ken, for the interpretation and information. Now I have a question about the book that you refer to "Goettingen [War] Memorial Book". Does it list all the war dead from Goettingen? Are there photographs of each soldier? Carol
I would say all of the known dead to the ability of whoever compiled the list; it would be next to impossible to compile a complete list because of the factors involved and resources available. This book does not contain photos of the men listed.

JennyArcher

Post by JennyArcher » 19 Mar 2011, 08:17

I am researching my Germany Ancestors. This is a photograph of my Great Grand Father, Maximilian Schatz.he was born in Munchen, June 1884 and died in 1955. Is anyone able to give me info based on the military uniform he wears? My family has no idea of any of his Military details, although we would presume he was involved in WW1. Any info is much appreciated,
Thanks,
Jenny
Attachments
Muenchen-Vater.jpg

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist » 29 Mar 2011, 08:33

JennyArcher wrote:I am researching my Germany Ancestors. This is a photograph of my Great Grand Father, Maximilian Schatz.he was born in Munchen, June 1884 and died in 1955. Is anyone able to give me info based on the military uniform he wears? My family has no idea of any of his Military details, although we would presume he was involved in WW1. Any info is much appreciated,
Thanks,Jenny
2. Matrosen-Regiment, or 2nd Marine Regiment, part of the 1. Marine-Division, or 1st Naval Division. He was a naval infantryman.

In World War I, he was part of the Marinekorps Flandern, or Naval Corps Flanders. He would have been stationed on the Belgian coast for most of the war.

JennyArcher

Post by JennyArcher » 03 Apr 2011, 08:54

Thanks so much for your help! You've given me some very helpful direction to carry on my research.

adambrown

Post by adambrown » 25 May 2011, 20:17

Can anyone identify any and all details of the uniform of our grandfather Adolf Marx who served in WWI in the Imperial German Army and earned an Iron Cross? He was born and raised in Mannheim and moved at some point to Berlin. His brother Martin died in the Battle of the Somme.
Attachments
Marx Adolf in uniform WWI for forum.jpg

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist » 26 May 2011, 00:47

adambrown wrote:Can anyone identify any and all details of the uniform of our grandfather Adolf Marx who served in WWI in the Imperial German Army and earned an Iron Cross? He was born and raised in Mannheim and moved at some point to Berlin. His brother Martin died in the Battle of the Somme.
His shoulder strap identifies him as belonging to the Instructional Battalion of the Foot Artillery Shooting School (Lehr-Bataillon der Fußartillerie-Schießschule), while the "F" sleeve badge means he was also an ordnance artificer (Feuerwerker), a soldier who prepared shells and fuses.
Last edited by trickcyclist on 26 May 2011, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

adambrown

Post by adambrown » 26 May 2011, 17:36

@trickcycle - thank you for your identifying his unit - you are brilliant! Based on your lead, I found that his battalion became organized into the 5th Guard Feldartillerie Regiment during 1914, which retained the same shoulder strap, and was assigned to the 3rd Guard Infantry Division which played an active role in the war.

Is there anything that the collar embroidery tell us about his rank, etc?
Adam
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 7.27.03 AM.png

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist » 27 May 2011, 00:16

adambrown wrote:Is there anything that the collar embroidery tell us about his rank, etc?
Yes, his collar lace indicates that he's an Unteroffizier or corporal.

valeriej

Post by valeriej » 03 Aug 2011, 00:27

[quote][/quote]
Uncle_Frederick_enhanced size.jpg
Uncle_Frederick_enhanced size.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

Hello All
My name is Valerie and I am looking for any information about the uniform of the attachment. Our Great Uncle Frederick Schweers is the middle soldier in the back row. Also any information on how to get more information on his military life. Look forward to hearing back from you. Any help is most appreciated.

Thank you Valerie ;-)

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist » 04 Aug 2011, 02:09

A close-up of the left shoulder strap of the man standing on the far right would help. I can see his regiment number, but I can't read it.

valeriej

Post by valeriej » 04 Aug 2011, 04:07

Shoulder patch.jpg
Shoulder patch.jpg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
strap.jpg
strap.jpg (1.72 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Thank you trickcyclist for your reply. I don't have the original photo so I did crop it as requested but it doesn't look like it is going to help you. My cousin that sent the picture did a strap picture but not of the one you requested. I have attached that one too just incase it will be better. I will try and get my cousin to get the left shoulder strap of the man standing on the far right and when I get it will post it as well. Thank you again. Valerie ;-)

Return to “Imperial Germany”