German uniforms of WWI

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
stobbchi

Re: German uniforms of WWI

Post by stobbchi » 09 Mar 2014, 03:16

One of these soldiers is a great-uncle of mine whom my father and I were both named after..... but I don't know which one. I was always told that he was from Dusseldorf - as stated on the address of each of these - but nothing more.

The uniforms appear to me to be white with some kind of twisted piping on the shoulders instead of unit insignia. And since it's a B&W photo I cant tell what colors are on the buttons on their hats. The 'driver' and another man (2 to the left of the driver) have different hats, and the driver is the only one who has a dark coat with shoulder flaps but because of the angle of the photo I can't see if there is any insignia on them.

This photo was made into a postcard, and I'm lucky enough to have two of them - I've included scans of the back of each, which if someone can decipher may be of assistance.

Thanks in advance,

Walter "Chip" Stobb II
Attachments
Stobb_00673a_small.jpg
Stobb_00674a.jpg
Stobb_00674_small.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 09 Mar 2014, 13:47

stobbchi wrote:One of these soldiers is a great-uncle of mine whom my father and I were both named after..... but I don't know which one. I was always told that he was from Dusseldorf - as stated on the address of each of these - but nothing more.

The uniforms appear to me to be white with some kind of twisted piping on the shoulders instead of unit insignia. And since it's a B&W photo I cant tell what colors are on the buttons on their hats. The 'driver' and another man (2 to the left of the driver) have different hats, and the driver is the only one who has a dark coat with shoulder flaps but because of the angle of the photo I can't see if there is any insignia on them.

This photo was made into a postcard, and I'm lucky enough to have two of them - I've included scans of the back of each, which if someone can decipher may be of assistance.

Thanks in advance,

Walter "Chip" Stobb II
Chip,
"All" the passanger soldiers are wearing "drill uniforms" (Drill or work kit) and wartime feldmutzen that just have cockaden on the front (the buttons?).... no help IDing anything unfortunately.... even the driver (who is an NCO - Lace on collar & Visor hat) but can't see the shoulder straps which would have unit numbers...so he's no help either (unless Granddad was an NCO?) The other guy with the visor is either the "Corporal" or another NCO...the rest probably "recruits"....

Can't help with the text... but somebody will.
John G.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 11 Mar 2014, 05:29

One postcard goes something like that:

Munsterlager i. Han.

Liebe Schwester!
Viele Gruße von Luft-
kurort Munster sendet
Dein Brüder Valter

Next seem to go signatures of some other people?

Gruße F. Limemeier?
Piehel? Meyer
?
R Schoenenberg?

And address

Fräulein
Anna Stobb
Düsseldorf
Hammerstr.2

Second postcard seems to be from son Valter to his father Anton Stobb.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 24 Mar 2014, 05:01

The one name might be Siebel. The second last appears to end with "ave"

Ruhrpottpreusse

Post by Ruhrpottpreusse » 25 Mar 2014, 05:56

Hello!
In fact, that the one card was stamped in Munster and the other one in Wesel, it´s clear, that the unit was in Wesel, and they were in manoeuvre in Munster (there was a large training ground). Munstelager belonged to the X.AK, Wesel to the VII.AK.
I´d like to know, if the sign "Windhouk-Munster" is important for the research...
Anyway, I don´t see black cap-bands, so I assume, it´s an infantry unit. In Wesel were the following Inf.Rgt.:
I. and II./Inf.Rgt.Vogel v. Falckenstein (7th westphalian) Nr.56
Inf.Rgt.Herzog Ferdinand v. Braunschweig (8th westphalian) Nr.57
Because Braunschweig belonged to the X.AK, I assume, the Inf.Rgt.57 could be in manoeuvre there to be visited by the Herzog of Braunschweig.
Another possibility is, that other troops trained in Friedrichsfeld (the training-ground for VII.AK), so they had to change, because Friedrichsfeld was much smaller than Munster (Friedrichsfeld 969 ha; Munster 4805 ha).
I attached a photo of the 9th company/Inf.Rgt.57 from 1909-1911.
Unfortunately there are no names written on it
Attachments
Inf.Rgt. 57 (9.Kp).JPG

drtekla

Post by drtekla » 25 Mar 2014, 14:25

Hello
Im Rafal
I need help on the identification of this officers german uniform.

http://zapodaj.net/14a95fe00435d.jpg.html

I find this picture in internet. Looking for materials about the color of the uniform
Thank you very much for your help
Best Regards
Rafal

rotoquezada

Post by rotoquezada » 03 Nov 2014, 19:23

Hi,

I'm looking for information about the german uniform in this photo.
This is my grand grand-grandfather, he fought in WWI and then migrated to southamerica. We don't know anything about his life during war time.

Any ideas on where he fought? Military grade? which front/when was this kind of uniform used?

thanks in advance,

Sebastian Castro
Attachments
ABUELO NANA 1.jpeg

John G.

Post by John G. » 04 Nov 2014, 12:51

rotoquezada wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for information about the german uniform in this photo.
This is my grand grand-grandfather, he fought in WWI and then migrated to southamerica. We don't know anything about his life during war time.

Any ideas on where he fought? Military grade? which front/when was this kind of uniform used?

thanks in advance,

Sebastian Castro

Sebastian...
Pretty sure that is his "South American" (rather than German WW 1) Army uniform (who wore similiar "Germanic" style uniform and equipment in the 1920s/30s....)...

I'd check the post-WW1 uniforms of the South American country your Great/Great Grandfather migrated to.
John G.

rotoquezada

Post by rotoquezada » 04 Nov 2014, 13:22

Thanks for the idea John,

My great/great grandfather migrated with all his family to Chile in 1926 where he lived as a farmer and colonist at the farther south of the country . He never did any military duties or so in Chile.

Chilean army is actually of heavy germanic inspiration and did employ several prussian officers as trainers in the 20's and 30's, i do know chilean uniforms of that era though and this does not seem one of those.

I don't have the original photo, I will ask if it has any writings on the back so to enlighten up the period.

thanks a lot for your answer anyway!

John G.

Post by John G. » 05 Nov 2014, 13:05

WW 1 German soldiers (Enlisted men) seldom wore a "peaked visor hats"....the belt buckle looks much too large for any German-type I know of...and the rifle is a "old style", seldom used by the time of WW ! except by "older" Landstrum units (oldest category of reservist)....

However, the poor quality of the photo makes it difficult to be sure of anything....
John G.

jmpet26

Post by jmpet26 » 13 Nov 2014, 22:22

Hello. I would appreciate any insight anyone can offer as to the uniforms the men in this picture are wearing. I have no information about them except that one of them is man by the last name of Hearn. Unfortunately, someone glued this photo in an album long ago and then it was later peeled out.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
Image_00040.jpg
Image_00039.jpg

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere » 23 Dec 2014, 08:16

I'm hoping someone can tell me something about this photo, found in with family papers and with "German Prussian Army" written on the back.
Z001.jpg
Z001.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 6895 times

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 25 Dec 2014, 07:25

I'm not an expert but the attire doesn't look German.
Guinevere wrote:I'm hoping someone can tell me something about this photo, found in with family papers and with "German Prussian Army" written on the back.

Gasser

Uniform Identification

Post by Gasser » 28 Dec 2014, 19:44

When my great grandfather Ferdinand Delius died he was listed as serving in 3 Komagine, Brigade-Ersatz-Batailione Nr. 11. This was part of the 9th Gemischte Ersatz Brigade which made up part of the 4th Ersatz Division. Each Brigade-Replacement-Battalion was numbered after its parent Infantry Brigade, and was formed with two companies, in this case no. 3 & 4, taken from the Replacement Battalion of each of the Brigades Infantry Regiments, The Fusilier Regiment Prinz Heinrich von Preuß (Brandenburgisches) Nr. 35 which was the notifying authority on his death certificate. The square collar means that the uniform was private purchase, but what does the Field grey collar patches mean, also the shoulder boards seem to show 12, is this the Landwehr district he was in before mobilization, as the picture may have been taken on his marriage in 1912.
Attachments
Delius 110KB.jpg

nelsse00

Post by nelsse00 » 16 Feb 2015, 03:13

Hello

My name is Sebastian Nelson and I recently came across a photograph in an old family photo album. The album belonged to a relative from my mother's family (the family originally came from Germany). Unfortunately I am ignorant of German uniforms...I'm not sure if he is wearing a military uniform, a police uniform, the uniform of a fraternal organization or perhaps he was just a bellboy in a hotel! I'm not sure if the photo dates from the nineteenth century or the twentieth century. I'm not even sure what German state this man was from (according to the stamp at the bottom of the image, the photographer's studio appears to have been located in Bavaria).

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any insignia visible that might help identify the uniform. The only detail I could notice was that two pieces of his collar appear to be of two different colors. At first I could only view a black and white photocopy of the image, so I wasn't sure about this. Yesterday I was able to view the original photo in person, and in spite of the sepia tone it does appear to be two colors. I tried to scan the image using one of those hand held scanners, but unfortunately the results left something to be desired.

Can anyone help me try to identify this uniform? Is anyone familiar with German uniforms with two-color collars?

Here is a close-up view:

https://41.media.tumblr.com/ea1b37d1405 ... 1_1280.jpg

Many thanks!

-Sebastian Nelson
[email protected]

Return to “Imperial Germany”