Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

List of German generals in World War I

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.

List of German generals in World War I

Postby mjölnir on 08 Jul 2008 07:27

I search a complete list of all German generals during World War I. I found only lists for the Generalfeldmarschälle and Generaloberst, but no one for Generals of Infantry, artillery, etc. or of Generalleutnant or Generalmajor.
Who can help me?
mjölnir
mjölnir
Germany

Re: List of German generals in World War I

Postby Peter H on 08 Jul 2008 12:18

I don't know how extensive this is (and in French but easy to read) but could be a start:

http://web.genealogie.free.fr/Les_milit ... /Terre.htm

Corps and Divisional commanders can be checked off to here as well.From Jon's website:

http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/index.htm/page_9.htm

This covers ALL Imperial Prussian Generals up to 1920 as well

http://www.lexikon-deutschegenerale.de/welcome.htm

Those who were further promoted( to char General der Infanterie etc),the "Tannenberg Generals" of 1939, are also listed here by Glenn:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=110564

That should keep you busy for a few weeks if you want to compile it all together. :D
Peter H
Forum Staff
Australia

Postby mjölnir on 15 Jul 2008 16:26

Thanks Peter! You helped me.
mjölnir :D
mjölnir
Germany

Postby AlifRafikKhan on 07 Dec 2010 18:29

I couldn't see the links... :( Is the website all down?
AlifRafikKhan
Indonesia

Postby HFK on 08 Dec 2010 07:33

Gentlemen and Ladies, we have a problem. The 3 links posted are inactive. I had 3 other sites with the desired WW 1 listings, and they also are gone with the wind. Sorry to bring the bad news. Perhaps there is another site we are not aware of. I have the names on my other computer, but it is an Apple and I cannot transmit the information to a windows system. I've been thinking of transferring all the names to another computer, but I have over 70,000 names and data, so it will be a lenghty project. Harry
HFK
United States

Postby Robert Brockmeier on 08 Dec 2010 15:58

I have compiled a list on excel, but it starts in 1870 and ends in 1918. I can send it to anyone who wants it, just send me your e-mail address
Robert Brockmeier
Robert Brockmeier
United States

Postby VJK on 08 Dec 2010 16:13

Hi gents,

The site http://web.genealogie.free.fr/Les_milit ... /Terre.htm unfortunately is down. However, these are the revised links to the other 2 sites mentioned by Peter:

http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/index.htm

http://www.lexikon-deutschegenerale.de/biographien.html

Best regards,

VJK
VJK
Latvia

Postby AlifRafikKhan on 08 Dec 2010 20:38

Thank you very much dear Valdis for your help! :D
AlifRafikKhan
Indonesia

Postby Ken S. on 09 Dec 2010 03:48

Robert Brockmeier wrote:I have compiled a list on excel, but it starts in 1870 and ends in 1918. I can send it to anyone who wants it, just send me your e-mail address
Robert Brockmeier

That's quite impressive. Are you considering extending the list to include earlier than 1870?

Also if you haven't had a chance to read it, I think you'll find Daniel J. Hughes' The King's Finest interesting.
Ken S.
Canada

Postby Robert Brockmeier on 09 Dec 2010 04:44

I was just basing it on Rangliste I have, and 1870 seemed to be a good starting point. It would be futile to go further back when I can't figure out the World War 1 list!
Robert Brockmeier
Robert Brockmeier
United States

Postby HFK on 10 Jan 2011 09:23

Hello Mjolnir, go and search for "LEXICON DER DEUTSCHE GENERALE" and you will find the Prussian generals of WW1. The list includes active and retired generals, with dates of birth and death, and nothing else, besidestheir rank. Best regards, Harry
HFK
United States

Postby HFK on 11 Jan 2011 06:28

Hello, I am very embarrassed right now, seeing as Steen a while back provided the same site information I did yesterday. However, if you go into the Forum section of that site, about 8 or 9 entries down, you will find a listing of the Tannenberg generals and Admirals. The names even indicate if the officer is Austrian. Best regards, Harry
HFK
United States

Return to Imperial Germany