German attack of Fortress Kaunas/Kowno/Kovno

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Saska

German attack of Fortress Kaunas/Kowno/Kovno

Post by Saska » 21 Jan 2009, 19:37

Hello all

I am looking for information about the German attack of Fortress Kaunas/Kowno/Kovno during 1915.

What realy happend there and especially which German and Russian units had been involved?

Are there any local sources or experts to contact?

I would be very grateful for every information I could get.

All the best Saska

Latze

Re: German attack of Fortress Kaunas/Kowno/Kovno

Post by Latze » 22 Apr 2011, 16:14

Saska,

according to the German official history ("Der Weltkrieg" vol. 8) the following German units were involved:

7th August:
9. Landwehr Brigade
79. Reserve Infantry Division

12th to 15th August (additional forces):
76. Reserve Infantry Division
115. Infantry Division (arriving from the Western front)

the book has a sketch of the attavking forces and the fortress works that also show placement of German heavy artillery. The designations of these units are not given but I count:
ten batteries of 15cm howitzers
two batteries of 21cm mortars
one battery each of 28cm, 30,5cm and 42cm heavy siege artillery
three batteries of 10cm cannon

The "Gefechtskalender" has a whole lot more units (3rd RID, 4th CavDiv, etc.) but obviously here all troops in the area, not only those assaulting the fortress proper are included.

Markus Pöhlmann in his paper “German Intelligence at War“ relates that the Germans tried to bribe the commander of Kowno in July with the offer of 1 million marks and safe residence in Germany. The commander declined.

regards
Matt

jamlasica

Post by jamlasica » 25 Apr 2011, 13:17

The "Gefechtskalender" has a whole lot more units (3rd RID, 4th CavDiv, etc.) but obviously here all troops in the area, not only those assaulting the fortress proper are included.
Hi Matt could you please tell me where the 3rd RID was located during this battle?
Or maybe do you have more information about 3rd RID ?
I know this division was engaged in battle of Wilna and Nejmen battle.
I'm looking for information about this division.

Thank you,
Milosz

Latze

Post by Latze » 26 Apr 2011, 22:05

Hi Milosz,

the division entered the line on the 15th of August and attacked at Altonitzki. The intent was to suppress Russian artillery that was flanking the attack against the fortress by the other divisions.
in the night of 18th August the last of the works (Fort V) of fortress Kowno fell, at the same time (so the German OH) the first elements of 3 RID crossed the Wilia from north-west and reached Kormialow (Karmėlava). I think this a roughly were the modern airport is. The division was part of group Litzmann together 79. RID, 76. RID and 1. CavDiv). The intended axis of advance for these troops was to the south east.

The division at this point consisted of:
5th Reserve Infanterie Brigade w/ RIR 2, RIR 9
6th Reserve Infanterie Brigade w/ RIR 34, RIR 49
Reserve Dragooner Regiment 5
Reserve Feldartillerie Regiment 3
2. Reserve Kompanie Pionier-Bat. 2

regards
Matt

Margareta

Post by Margareta » 04 Sep 2015, 19:58

Dear Matt, Miłosz and Saska,

I have just come across this forum and wonder if you could help with the following question.
My great grandfather was is RIR 49, Kompagnie 2. From the archival records I know that he was injured on 7 April 1915 and then died on 17 September 1915. Is it possible to find out where his unit was during those dates?

From your posts I can see that RIR 49 was near Kaunas/Kowno in August 1915, but not sure what happened to them the following month. Of course, it may have happened that he was injured during the Kaunas battle and died of his wounds a month later. Any suggestions and information would be most welcome. As you can see, we are trying to figure out where he died.

Many thanks

Margareta

Return to “Imperial Germany”