überzähliger and etatsmäßiger NCOs

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

überzähliger and etatsmäßiger NCOs

Post by Chris Dale » 19 Dec 2009, 02:49

I've been looking into a Schutztruppe soldier called Freidrich Buschan, I've been told his dates of promotion were-

27. January 1898 überz. Gefreiter
27.January 1900 etatsm. Gefreiter
27.August 1900 überz. Unteroffizier
1. July 1902 etatsm Unteroffizier
7. January 1905 Vizefeldwebel

I was told that überz. and etatsm. are short for überzähliger and etatsmäßiger. But what do they mean? I understand its something to do with finances. Possibly that überzähliger was an unpaid promotion, and then etatsmäßiger was with full pay. Does that sound right? Does anyone know? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

abaus

Re: überzähliger and etatsmäßiger NCOs

Post by abaus » 21 Dec 2009, 20:05

Chris,

The terms refer to the official establishment of a unit, namely, part of or extra to the full complement of officers, NCOs and other ranks. So, überzählig means supernumerary (above the establishment) and etatsmäßig means numerary (within the establishment). Rather arcane, but the best way to think about the terms is whether an individual had a slot/billet (use whatever term you like) or whether he had to wait for a position/slot to become free. Naturally, if one was carried as "überzählig", he could not be receive the pay and allowances of that postion unless he was officially in it.

Andy

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 22 Dec 2009, 02:23

Hi Andy,

That's exactly the clarification I needed. Thank you very much. Have a great christmas.

Cheers
Chris

abaus

Post by abaus » 22 Dec 2009, 15:02

Chris,

You are very welcome and a Happy Christmas to you!

Andy

Return to “Imperial Germany”