104th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
MattNSW

104th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Post by MattNSW » 17 Feb 2014, 13:51

Hello everyone,

My great-uncle died on the Somme during an attack on Guillemont on the 23rd July 1916; he was 19, had been in France for five weeks and it was his first action. His Battalion records indicate that the German unit defending was the 104th RIR, part of the 24th Reserve Division commanded by Generalmajor Morgenstern-Döring. I'm trying to discover as much information as I can about this unit, with the hope that I can learn something about the events surrounding my relative's death. I do have some information regarding the component units of the 24th Reserve Division, if they're at all helpful:

24th Reserve Division: Generalmajor Morgenstern-Döring
48th Reserve Brigade:
104th Reserve Regiment
1 Machine Gun Company
197th Machine Gun Sharpshooter Troop
107th Reserve Regiment
1 Machine Gun Company
133rd Reserve Regiment
1 Machine Gun Company
180th Field Machine Gun Platoon
181st Field Machine Gun Platoon
191st Field Machine Gun Platoon
13th Reserve Jäger Battalion
1 Machine Gun Company
385th Field Machine Gun Platoon
Saxon Sturm Company (drawn from regiments)

The history of my great-uncle's Regiment (The Manchester Regiment) states:

"...parties of the Manchester reached the eastern edge of Guillemont, the Commander of the lll/104th Reserve Regiment being besieged in his battle-headquarters. A counter-attack was delivered by (German) storm-troops.........but the British held on for many hours, some till 2 p.m. Most prisoners had used all their bombs and ammunition and many were wounded."

There is very little information other than this, mainly because it was the usual awful Somme massacre and any survivors of the British Battalion would have been finished off in subsequent actions.

I assume that the storm troops described were from the Saxon Sturm Company, and from this that the Division itself included men from Saxony.

Other than this I am completely ignorant and would be immensely grateful for any information.

Thank you all very much for any help you are able to give!

Matt

Latze

Re: 104th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Post by Latze » 18 Feb 2014, 21:57

Matt,

are you able to read German? In Fraktur? If yes you might try to look for the regimental history of RIR 104:

Kurt Braun "Das Reserve-Infantrie-Regiment 104 im Weltkriege", Leipzig 1921

There is a guy (http://www.military-books.de.vu/) who sells scans of these hard to get volumes for very decent prices. Maybe he can help you.

regards
Latze

MattNSW

Post by MattNSW » 18 Feb 2014, 22:16

At this point, no I can't read German - but I fully expect most of the information available to be in the language and have taken the precaution of asking some German friends to help translate for me. I've also contacted a local University and have some language students who wish to earn some easy money ready to assist. Thank you very, very much for this link, I am VERY grateful!

Latze

Post by Latze » 20 Feb 2014, 11:56

Matt,

if you are unable to get that volume send me a PM after 15th of March. I might be able to get it through inter-library loan and scan the relevant pages. But I am really busy with other stuff until then.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 25 Feb 2014, 11:26

For the benefit of those who avoid the GWF...
Der 23. 7. 1916 ist der Hauptschlachttag. Während der Nacht schwerste Beschießung des Abschnittes und rückwärtigen Geländes, die sich am Morgen zum Trommelfeuer steigert. 530 vorm. allgemeiner Angriff des Gegners vom Nebel begünstigt. Die Sperrfeuerzeichen unserer Posten können von unserer Artillerie nicht gesehen werden. Auf dem rechten Flügel nahe der Zuckerfabrik dringt der Gegner in unsere Stellung ein, wird aber im Handgemenge sofort wieder vertrieben. In der Mitte gelingt es ihm, im Westrand des Dorfes Guillemont Fuß zu fassen. Gegenstöße führen zu keinem Ergebnis. An der linken Abschnittsnaht bricht der Gegner durch, dringt von Süden her bis zu Mitte des Dorfes und schließt den Gefechtsstand des III. Bataillons ab. Alle verfügbaren Reserven treten in Tätigkeit. Ein Zug MGK. verstärkt die Riegelstellung; I. Bataillon marschiert von Saillisel nach Combles; MGK.-S.-Trupp 197 besetzt den Leuze-Wald westlich Combles. Eine kompagnie bayr. Res.-Inf.-Regt. 22 trifft nordwestlich Combles im Hohlweg ein und wird 1030 vorm. in die Riegelstellung (II V L) vorgezogen. Zur selben Zeit trifft eine weitere Kompagnie deselben Regiments ein. Teile der 5. und 8. Kompagnie stürmen trotz schwersten feindlichen Sperrfeuers aus der Riegelstellung Dorf Guillemont, um den eingebrochenen Gegner herauszuwerfen. 1145 vorm. folgen 10. Komp. und Rest der 5. Kompagnie unter Leutnant Hennig. Sie befreien den Gefechtsstand des III. Bataillons und nehmen im Verein mit dem Rest 5. und 8. Kompagnie unter hartnäckigem Häuserkampf die Englänger gefangen, die zähe in den Kellern sich verteidigen. Von der Sturm-Kompagnie greifen 2 Offiziere und 60 Mann in den erbitterten Kampf ein. Im energischen Handgranatenangriff der 6. und 9. Kompagnie unter Leutnant Kempe werden in der Kiesgrube am Westrand des Dorfes neu eingedrungene Engländer überwältigt. 50 nachm. ist die Stellung vom Feinde frei, die Überlebenden sind nach 12stündigem Kampfe völlig erschöpft. Eine Stunde später setzt schwere Beschießung wieder ein, geleitet von feindlichen Fliegern, die in geringer Höhe am Kampf sich beteiligen. (pages 63/64)

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 26 Feb 2014, 00:27

Here's the second part...
Am 23. 7. 1916 abends ist die Stellung wie follgt besetzt: Vorderste Linie: 1. und 2. Kompagnie bayr. Res.-Inf.-Regt. 22, Kompagnie Haßfurther (vom I. Bataillon, das 2 Kompagnien formiert hat) und 6 MGs. Res.-Inf.-Regt. 104. II. vorderste Linie: 3. Kompagnie bayr. Res.-Inf.-Regt. 22 (die bayr. Kompagnien sind sehr stark) 5. Res.-Inf.-Regt. 104 2 MG. Res.-Inf.-Regt. 104 und 2 MG Res.-Inf.-Regt. 106. Im Hohlweg nordwestlich Combles ist der Stab III. Bataillon und 12. Komp. 11. Kompagnie befindet sich noch im Gefechtsstreifen des Res.-Inf.-Regt. 133. In der III. vordersten Linie ist der Stab I. Bataillon. Die Kompagnie Truckenbrodt (2. und 3. Kompagnie) und Kompagnie Härtel (9. und 10. Komp.). Das Regiment ist abgekämpft. II. Batl. hat Hauptmann Vieweg, 2 Leutnants und 21 Mann, III. Bataillon Hauptmann Jentsch, 3 Leutnants und 60 Mann Tote, 200 (darunter Major Wolf, Leutnant Joppe) sind verwundet und 6 werden vermißt. Utffz. Fehmel 5. Kompagnie, Utffz. Schatte 6. Kompagnie und Tambour Schlosser zeichnen sich im Gefecht besonders aus.

MattNSW

Post by MattNSW » 15 Mar 2014, 10:43

Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been on a fairly unsuccessful holiday and have only just returned to civilisation.. Thank you very much for this, Ken, I appreciate it. Is this section drawn from the book Latze recommended or another source?

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 15 Mar 2014, 18:32

Yes, it is.

Return to “Imperial Germany”