Heinrich Winkelmann,Tank Destroyer

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Edward L. Hsiao

Heinrich Winkelmann,Tank Destroyer

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 16 Aug 2014, 07:56

Gentlemen,

From "Forum Fur Deutsche Militargeschichte"(Section:"Pour le Merite an der Westfront",page 14). German NCO Heinrich Winkelmann a holder of the Prussian Military Cross In Gold was said to have destroyed 13 English tanks by himself on August 10 and 11 of 1918. I was able to read a little German from that discussion. Winkelmann was from the Reserve-Artillerieregiment 63. A Bundeswehr Barracks had his name "Winkelmann". Am I correct so far in my story? Please add anything or correction. By the way,I'm pretty sure there were plenty of German soldiers who destroys Allied tanks by hand held weapons or field cannons were holders of high German decorations,especially the Prussian Military Cross In Gold for NCO's or lower.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao :milwink:

Latze

Re: Heinrich Winkelmann,Tank Destroyer

Post by Latze » 19 Aug 2014, 23:15

Winkelmann destroyed six tanks on the 10th of August 1918 using indirect fire with a field gun. A further seven were destroyed by his battery (so possibly he wasn't the only guy laying the cannons then) on 29th of September 1918. On that day his battery chief was mentioned in the Heeresbericht.
Anyway Winkelmann must have been a very good artilleryman as he already was awarded the golden Militärverdienstkreuz in April 1918.

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Heinrich Winkelmann,Tank Destroyer

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 20 Aug 2014, 22:53

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your answer and correction. I only wonder how many Allied tanks in total that were destroyed by Heinrich Winkelmann before the end of WWI? I guess we will never know. Winkelmann's other battle exploits of WWI remains to be told.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao :)

Return to “Imperial Germany”