German Air operations in Finland 1918?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
durb

German Air operations in Finland 1918?

Post by durb » 31 Dec 2014, 01:01

As it is known, the Germans participated in the Finnish Civil War 1918 at the side of "Whites". One of the most important German operations was the take over of Finnish capital Helsinki on April 1918. I have been reading a book dealing precisely that operation and found that also German aircraft took part doing reconaissence and dropping leaflets (which actually had some psychological effect on adversary and civil population). I wonder where I could find information about German air missions during Finnish Civil War - it would be interesting to know some details like which type of planes, which unit and which pilots were employed. Any hints from where one should start the search?

Mangrove

Re: German Air operations in Finland 1918?

Post by Mangrove » 02 Jan 2015, 11:27

durb wrote:I wonder where I could find information about German air missions during Finnish Civil War - it would be interesting to know some details like which type of planes, which unit and which pilots were employed. Any hints from where one should start the search?
Arne Bremer's Ilmavoimien osallistuminen Suomen vapaussotaan vuonna 1918 is the most comprehensive work published on the matter. It is quite a rare thing to find a copy since only one edition was published in 1934. However, the book contains many copies of known reconnaissance and bombing reports made by the White and Red Finnish Air Forces, but also some of the German reports. See also K.W. Janarmo's Varhaisilmailumme (from 1963).

Luftstreitkräfte units that were active near Finland during early and mid-1918 were as follows:

Fliegerabteilung 16 (Tallinn) - DFW C.V, Friedrichshafen FF.41 and Friedrichshafen FF.49
Fliegerabteilung 37 (Haapsalu) - ?
Fliegerabteilung 214 (Ventspils) - ?

durb

Re: German Air operations in Finland 1918?

Post by durb » 04 Jan 2015, 16:10

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Imperial Germany”