How much autonomy did the Bavarians and the armies of other German states have?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Sid Guttridge

How much autonomy did the Bavarians and the armies of other German states have?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 14 Jul 2016, 14:04

I have recently bought the book The First Battle of the First World War. It covers the initial border battles between France and Germany.

It appears that the Bavarian Army, because it was mobilized locally, initially fought an entirely self contained campaign in these battles.

This set me to wondering how autonomous Bavaria and its army actually were. For example, did the Bavarian Army conform to wider Imperial tactics, training, establishments, weaponry, etc., etc. Was there an air wing? Were different weapons procured? Did they make their own uniforms? Was there any Bavarian presence in the fleet? Did Bavarian battalions/regiments/divisions differ from their Prussian equivalents? If so, how?

Similar questions arise with smaller German states like Saxony, Baden and Wurtemburg.

I also note that when Germany created its first mountain formation, the Alpenkorps, early in WWI, virtually all its troops were Bavarian. Was the Alpenkorps formed under the Bavarian Ministry of Defence, or was it an Imperial creation?

Many thanks,

Sid.

Gorque

Re: How much autonomy did the Bavarians and the armies of other German states have?

Post by Gorque » 14 Jul 2016, 15:34

I'm not sure if this answers your question Sid, but it may add a bit to the discussion. After the creation of the Kaiserreich, the Germans adopted the Mauser model G71 as their standard rifle. This rifle was produced in various factories of the Reich. I have one that was handed down to me that was manufactured in Württemberg and it has marking on all of the individual pieces with a W and the insignia of the Württemberg on them. Does this mean that there was some indendent control of the troops/units originating from the various southern provinces that comprised of the Kaiserreich? I don't know.

BTW, Good topic. :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the Mauser G71: http://www.militaryrifles.com/Germany/71Mauser.htm

HTH

Joachim

pugsville

Re: How much autonomy did the Bavarians and the armies of other German states have?

Post by pugsville » 14 Jul 2016, 15:51

there was only one army the German Imperial army, everyone had the same equipment, training, doctrine, the various states raised the troops (in accordance with imperial regulations) but once war was declared were totally under control of the Prussians.

Return to “Imperial Germany”