German orders that bestowed nobility?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Trupobaw

German orders that bestowed nobility?

Post by Trupobaw » 20 Oct 2016, 14:06

Hello,

My first post here, so please point me in right direction if I'm asking about something already available. I came quite a few questions about Imperial Germany waiting in line...

I know that orders of chivalry of some German kingdoms bestowed nobility for life (usually "Ritter von" tittle) on bearer if given to commoners. Examples I know are Prussian Order of Black Eagle and Bawarian Max Joseph Order. I've read that Württemberg awarded such an order, too, but no details, and I want to know more about ennobling in Imperial Germany. So:

-What's the complete list of German orders that always came with nobility patent?
-Were all of them restricted to officers and civilians of similar status (most likely, but worth asking).
-Were all of them giving nobility only to subjects of king issuing them? It worked this way for Max Joseph order, but I never heard of Black Eagle order giving nobility only to Prussians.
-Was nobility bestowed in other ways? The kings likely could give nobility patents without order, but was it practiced?
-What was the (theroethical/practiced) way of turning a commoner into nobleman in German kingdoms during/before WW1?
-Was it possible for German king to grant nobility to subjects of other German state? I know it was not practiced for not_Bawarian knights of Max Joseph, but was it possible at all?

Dave Danner

Re: German orders that bestowed nobility?

Post by Dave Danner » 16 Dec 2016, 14:44

In Bavaria, two orders came with patents of nobility - the Military Max Joseph Order and the Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown. In both cases the nobility was personal, not hereditary. Both Bavarian orders came with the title "Ritter von". There are also a number of noble houses, mostly with Austrian patents, with the hereditary title of "Ritter und Edler von", which shouldn't be confused with the Bavarian ones.

One could also be elevated separately into the hereditary nobility. For example, Ferdinand Miltner, Bavarian Minister of Justice, was awarded the Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown and was elevated to the personal nobility as Ferdinand Ritter v. Miltner on 6 March 1903. On 16 May 1908, the king then elevated him to the hereditary nobility, so his children became "v. Miltner".

The Prussian Order of the Black Eagle appears to have come with hereditary nobility. Most of the recipients were already nobles, anyway, so that did not change much. In most cases, being elevated into the nobility was separate from receiving one of these orders. Generals and senior government officials of similar rank were often elevated to the nobility.

As an example, the brothers Beseler were ennobled separately. Prussian Minister of State Max Beseler was elevated to the nobility on 6 August 1917 when he received the Order of the Black Eagle, and became Max v. Beseler, and his children also became "v. Beseler." Max was the older brother of Generaloberst Hans v. Beseler, who had already been elevated to the hereditary nobility on 27 January 1904 when he was a Generalleutnant.

Prussian State Minister Paul (v.) Breitenbach was elevated to the nobility on 27 January 1909. He received the Order of the Black Eagle later, in 1913. General der Artillerie Max (v.) Gallwitz was elevated to the nobility on 16 June 1913 on the occasion of Kaiser Wilhelm II's 25-year jubilee. He als received the Order of the Black Eagle later, in 1917.

In Württemberg, until 1 September 1913, one one was named to the 4th class (4. Stufe) of the public service, one received a patent of personal, not hereditary, nobility. In the Württemberg Army, this meant colonels, Generalärzte and Wirkliche Geheime Kriegsräte. Examples of 4th class titles in the civil service included Domdekan, Geheimer Oberbaurat, Generalstaatsanwalt, Generalvikar, Hofkammerdirektor, Hofmarschall, Ministerialdirektor, and Landgerichtspräsident. The rectors of Württemberg's University and Techn. Hochschulen were exceptions, as they were 4th Class but did not receive Personaladelstand.

I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but I don't really know some of the answers. I know the states had rules on recognizing titles awarded by other states, but I don't know how that worked.

Best regards,
Dave

Return to “Imperial Germany”