Colonel-in-Chiefs belonging to the Hohenzollern Family

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
tyskaorden

Colonel-in-Chiefs belonging to the Hohenzollern Family

Post by tyskaorden » 06 Jun 2003, 16:56

A list of regiments with conections to the Hohenzollern family:

Wilhelm II, German Emperor and King of Prussia was Colonel in Chief of an impressive amount of regiments. Amongst which was:

Garde du Corps – a heavy cavalry regiment, of which the King of Prussia had been Col.-in-C. Since its founding in 1740.
Leib Garde Husaren Regiment.
Regiment Königsjäger zu Pferde Nr 1.
Leib Kür.Reg Grosser Kurfürst (Schlesisches) Nr 1 .
1.Leib Husaren Regiment Nr 1.
2.Leib Husaren Regiment Königin Viktoria von Preussen Nr 2.
NB Wilhelm’s mother the Queen and Empress Victoria was deputy Col.-in-C. 1861-1909 (first as Crown Princess, then from 1888 as Queen and Empress). From 1909 Wilhelm’s daughter Princess Viktoria Luise was deputy Colonel-in-Chief.
Königs Ulanen Regiment (1.Hannoverisches) Nr 13.
Kgl. Bayerisches 1. Ulanen Regiment Wilhelm II, Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preussen.

1.Garde Feld Artillerie Regiment .

1. Garde Regiment zu Fuss.
Grenadier Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm IV (1. Pommersches) Nr 2 .
Leib-GR König Friedrich Wilhelm III (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr 8 .
GR König Friedrich Wilhelm I (2. Ostpreuss.) Nr 3.
Königs Infanterie Regiment (6. Lothringisches) Nr 145 .
IR Kaiser Wilhelm (2. Grossherz. Hessisches) Nr 116 .
IR Kaiser Wilhelm, König von Preussen (2. Württembergisches) Nr 120 .
Kgl. Bayerisches 6. IR Wilhelm, Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preussen .

The British 1st Royal Dragoons 1894-1914
The Austro-Hungarian Husaren Regiment Wilhelm II, Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preussen Nr 7
The Austro-Hungarian Infanterie Regiment Wilhelm I, Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preussen Nr 34.
NB the name was carried permanently to honour Wilhelm’s Grand Father, who died in 1888.
The Russian Saint Petersburg Lifeguards Regiment The German Emperor Friedrich III’s Regiment until 1914.
The Russian 3rd Pernov Grenadier Regiment King Friedrich Wilhelm IV’s Regiment until 1914.
The Russian 85th Vyborg Infantry Regiment The German Emperor Wilhelm II’s Regiment until August 1 1914.
The Russian 13th Narva Hussar Regiment The Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia Wilhelm II’s Regiment until August 1 1914.
The Portuguese 4th Cavalry Regiment.

Wilhelm Crown Prince of Germany and Prussia was Col-in-C of the following regiments:
Grenadier-Regiment Kronprinz (1.Ostpreussisches) Nr 1.
2. Schlesisches Jäger Batallion Nr 6.

The British 11th (Prince Albert’s Own) Hussars from 1911 to 1914.
The Russian 14th Malorossia Dragoon Regiment The German and Prussian Crown Prince’s Regiment until august 1 1914.
The Austro-Hungarian Husaren Regiment Wilhelm, Kronprinz des Deutschen Reiches und Kronprinz von Preussen Nr 13 (Jazygier und Kumanier Husaren Regiment).

Auguste Viktoria Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia was Col.-in-C. of the following Regiments:
Kürassier Regiment Königin (Pommersches) Nr 2 .
Füsilier Regiment Königin (Schleswig-Holsteinisches) Nr 86 .

More to follow ...

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 06 Jun 2003, 22:14

Other Prussian Regiments with Hohenzollern Connections:

GR König Friedrich der Grosse (3. Ostpreuss.) Nr 4
GR König Friedrich I (4. Ostpreuss.) Nr 5
GR König Wilhelm I (2. Westpreussisches) Nr 7
GR König Friedrich Wilhelm II (1. Schlesisches) Nr 10
GR König Friedrich III (2. Schles.) Nr 11
GR Prinz Carl von Preussen (2. Brand.) Nr 12
Prince Carl was Col.-in –C. 1822-1883
Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Louis Ferdinand von Preussen (2. Magdeburgisches) Nr 27
Füsilier-Regiment Prinz Heinrich von Preussen (Brand.) Nr 35
From 1896 the General of Infantry Prince Heinrich of Prussia was Col.-in-C.
FR Fürst Karl Anton von Hohenzollern (Hohenzollerisches) Nr 40
IR Generalfeldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preussen (8. Brand.) Nr 64 The General-Fieldmarshall Prince Friedrich Karl was Col.-in-C. of the Regiment 1864-1885. In 1890 His daughter princess Louise, Duchess of Connaught and Strathearn, Duchess of Saxony was made Col.-in-C., in succession of her dead father. She was married to Queen Victoria’s third son Arthur Duke of Connaught and Strathearn.
FR Generalfeldmarschall Prinz Albrecht von Preussen (Hannoverisches) Nr 73

Dragoner-Regiment Prinz Albrecht von Preussen (Litthauisches) Nr 1
DR König Friedrich III (2. Schlesisches) Nr 8
Husaren Regiment König Wilhelm I (1. Reinisches) Nr 7

Feld Artillerie Regiment Prinz August von Preussen (1. Litthauisches) Nr 1

Regiments of other German States with connections to the House of Hohenzollern:
Grossherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Füs.Reg. Nr 90 Kaiser Wilhelm
2. Kgl. Sächisches Grenadier-Regiment Wilhelm I, Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preussen Nr 101
2. Badisches Grenadier-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm I Nr 110
6. Badisches IR Kaiser Friedrich III Nr 114
IR Kaiser Friedrich, König von Preussen (7.Württ.) Nr 125
Kgl. Bayr. 22. IR Fürst Wilhelm von Hohenzollern
Kgl. Bayr. 6. Chevauleger Regiment Prinz Albrecht von Preussen

Other Countries:

Austria-Hungary
Husaren Regiment Friedrich Leopold, Prinz von Preussen Nr 2
Husaren Regiment Friedrich Wilhelm III, König von Preussen Nr 10

NB: the name was carried permanently to honour the King, who was Col.-in-C. 1814-1840

Russia
NB any German connections where terminated at the outbreak of WW 1.
5th Kaluga Infantry Regiment Emperor Wilhelm I’s Regiment
6th Libava Infantry Regiment Prince Friedrich Leopold of Prussia’s Regiment
11th Izium Hussar Regiment HRH Prussian prince Heinrich’s Regiment

Since information on several regiments are a little bit sketchy feel free to fill in information.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 07 Jun 2003, 08:51

Great info. :)

The Kaiser's sister,Queen Sophia of Greece,was also the Colonel of the 3rd 'Queen Elizabeth Garde Regiment.Her husband,King Constantine of Greece,was a honorary Field-Marshall and "Chief of the 88th(2nd Nassau) Infantry Regiment and 2nd Prussian Foot Guards--he was similarly associated with the 1st Russian 'Neva' Infantry Regiment."

Sophia in Garde uniform.
Attachments
Sophie.jpg
Sophie.jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 18316 times
Last edited by Peter H on 07 Jun 2003, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 07 Jun 2003, 10:32

Kaiser and 1st Garde Regiment.

http://monsite.ifrance.com/uhlan/zimage ... r_alex.jpg

Kaiser in Garde du Corps uniform 1912.

http://monsite.ifrance.com/uhlan/zimages/pict0000.jpg

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 07 Jun 2003, 16:58

Interesting pictures!

The Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier Regiment Nr 1, was raised in 1814. The Kaiser mentioned in the regiment's title is Czar Alexander I of Russia and the Regiment had as it's Col-in-C. the Czar of All Russia ever since. I guess that Nikolaj II's Coloneletcy was terminated at the outbreak of WW 1.

The practice of making Kings and other Royalties Col.-in-C. both native and foreign was widespread before WW 1. Even King Nikola I of the small Balkan Country of Montenegro was made Col.-in-C. of the Austro-Hungarian IR Nikola I, König von Montenegro Nr 55, The Russian 15th HM The King of Montenegro, Nikola I's Rifle Regiment and the Serbian 9th Nikola I Infantry Regiment.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 20 Jun 2003, 19:30

franz josef II, austrian kaiser was made cic of a british regiment which to this day uses the hapsburg double headed black eagle as it's crest, sorry, i don't remember the regiment.

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 25 Jun 2003, 14:10

That's right. HIM Franz Joseph Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary ect. was in made CiC of the Brittish 1st (The King's) Dragoon Guards on 25 March 1896. He was also made a Brittish Fieldmarshal in 1903.

The 1st The King's Dragoon Guards (the parantesis was remowed during 1920ies) was amalgated with the Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) on January 1 1959, the new regiment became 1st the Queen's Dragoon Guards. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was made CiC and remainded so until her death in 2002.

See http://www.regiments.org

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Jun 2003, 15:39

Interesting info, thanks.

/Marcus

tyskaorden

Re: Colonel-in-Chiefs belonging to the Hohenzollern Family

Post by tyskaorden » 26 Jul 2014, 10:09

Awake this thread as I have come across more information as regarding Wilhelm II and the Portuguese 4th Cavalry Regiment. He was made Colonel-in-chief of this regiment in 1888 at which the Regiment become Regimento de Cavalaria no 4 do Imperador do Alemanhã Guilherme II. Following the overtrow of the Portuguse monarchy and the installment of a Portuguese Republic, Wilhelm II's Col-in-C was treminated in 1911 as was all other royal connections.

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 27 Jul 2014, 13:28

Kronprinz Wilhlem was Chef of Kgnl Sächs 2 Husaren Rgt Nr 19. It was named 2 HR Königin Carola Nr 19 on 24.06.02. It was renamed 2 HR Kronprinz Wilhelm d DT Reiches u v Preußen 0n 30.07.16.

Cheers
Elwyn

ebbs1939

Post by ebbs1939 » 18 Apr 2018, 15:06

I am researching an inscription on a large solid silver item that I believe is referring to Friedrich Wilhelm III. Can anyone verify whether he was ever a Lieutenant Colonel of the Artillery?

The inscription says:
"Berlin den 1ten April 1786"
"Spandau den 1ten April 1836"
"Dem Königl Oberst Lieutenant der Artillerie Herrn Konig zu seinem 50 jährigen Dienst Jubilaeum"
"Von den Officieren und Militair Beamten der Garnison zu Spandau"

Berlin 1 April 1786
Spandau 1 April 1836
"To the Royal Lieutenant Colonel of Artillery Mr ( or Lord) King on his 50 years of service Anniversary"
"From the Officers and Military Officials of the Spandau Garrison"

Note: It was the custom of the time to refer to the King as Herr König ("Mister King"). Friedrich Wilhelm III preferred to be addressed Herr König, as documented in several books of the time including pgs 305-306 of "Friedrich Wilhelm II, und Luise Konig und Konigin von" by Werner Hahn published in 1877. This tradition was continued through 1918 by William II of Württemberg who had the habit of walking in public parks in Stuttgart without bodyguards or the like, being greeted by his subjects with a simple Herr König ("Mister King") (wikipedia).

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Post by Glenn2438 » 18 Apr 2018, 20:07

I am afraid you are mistaken with reference to His Majesty the King. This refers to Oberst-Lieutenant König of the artillery testing commission and director of the pyrotechnics laboratory in Spandau. He retired shortly afterwards with the rank of a brevet colonel.

Regards
Glenn
Attachments
König.jpg

Return to “Imperial Germany”