Marine Sturmtruppen

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Regulus 1
Location: Flanders coastal area, Jabbeke, at the home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader in WW I - Belgium

Marine Sturmtruppen

Post by Regulus 1 » 05 May 2005, 15:52

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea on the color of the uniform of the Marine Sturmtruppen of the Marinekorps Flandern. I think it may be light blue-greyish, but that's just a gamble.

Thanks and best from Johan

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 06 May 2005, 06:16

Johan,

As I understand it men of the Marinekorps that served on a rotating basis in the frontlines Nieuport to Dixmude wore army uniforms,feldgrau.

This photo is from Wehrmacht-Awards.com,Schröder awarding medals to Marinekorps infantry(I think Rick Lundstrom is the owner of this photo).

Matrosen who served on the coastline defences reverted back to wearing naval uniforms.

Regards,
Peter
Attachments
41.jpg
41.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 3349 times

Regulus 1
Location: Flanders coastal area, Jabbeke, at the home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader in WW I - Belgium

Post by Regulus 1 » 09 May 2005, 00:03

Thanks Peter,

It is indeed as you mentioned concerning the feldgrau uniforms. However I've seen photo's of these men in a a more naval uniform which does look a bit like the work tenue that they had. But judging on the photo it is not the regular white, blue or the color of this tenue. I found it rather interesting to see if I this might be something I haven't seen before...

Best from Johan

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 09 May 2005, 14:56

Johan,

A discussion elsewhere on Navy Gray:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... C_ID=78195

Matrosen helmet:
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploade ... 7_M182.jpg

Matches the colour of what these men are wearing( I assume)in this postcard I have?...on the beach front of course.

http://forum.axishistory.com/files/ostende_2.jpg

Best regards,
Peter

Regulus 1

Post by Regulus 1 » 09 May 2005, 20:36

Peter,

This is exactly what I meant ! Great ! This proves the existance of another and rather unknown uniform as I was talking about. I've never seen anything like it in a collection. This is not the classic blue that I have in my collection, it is much more lighter indeed and get's very close to the color applied on the seaplane fuselages such as the HB W types, which can not be a coincidence !

Thank you very much !

Best from Johan

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 25 May 2005, 03:06

This is one of my favourite topics! I'm hoping to write an article on it soon, I'll let you know when it's online, thanks for the photos you've posted Peter they're very helpful. The situation as I understand it is that there were two types of naval infantry fighting on the extreme of the Western Front, Seebatallione and Matrosen Regiments.
The first and second Seebatallione (Marine Infantry Battalions) started the war still wearing pre 1910 dark blue infantry style uniforms (piped in white with gold double litzen) with Jäger style shakos, as can be seen in the photo below. Note the number 1 on the front for I. Seebatallion. Later these two battalions were added to and expanded into regiments and eventually became the Marinekorps Flandern. The first photo posted in this topic shows them now wearing field grey M1910 infantry tunics (still piped in white with gold litzen) with steel helmets which replaced the shakos. Later like other infantry they later wore the M1915 plain tunic.
The Matrosen Regiments were sailors fighting as infantry. They started the war wearing normal dark blue naval uniforms as can be seen on the pair on the left of the photo below, these were then replaced by naval grey versions as worn in the second photo Peter posted. Again M1915 tunics replaced these.
A good place to look (in German) is- http://www.marine-infanterie.de/
Hope this helps,
Cheers
Chris
Attachments
1seebatt.jpg
1seebatt.jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 3214 times

Regulus 1

Post by Regulus 1 » 26 May 2005, 22:38

Hi Chris,

Not a bad start for this website, and I see my book is in the sources part. :)

Concerning the seebatailllone, the name was no longer officially in use from December 1914, however the uniforms remained still in use as did the shakos. Curious thing however is that although the name Seebataillone did officially no longer exist it still was used in official military naval reports even upto early 1916...

However all naval land units at Flanders did not change to the feldgrau uniforms. There are many examples of late in the war in the blue uniform or the naval grey. Even with the artillery, it is the coastal batteries, we see both versions of naval uniforms, but no feldgrau. Also for example with the Matrosen Radfahrer Abteilungen. Even the aviation units kept their dark blue naval uniform. For example in 1915 we see admiral von Schröder in feldgrau, but this was exeptional.

Naval infantry also saw action at for example Ypres and Diksmuide, a story which is still to be researched in full.

Best from Johan

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 27 May 2005, 01:14

Hi Johan,
Thanks for the additional information.
Cheers
Chris

Patrick Mestdag

Post by Patrick Mestdag » 29 May 2005, 10:24

Hello

Hoping this picture might be useful, not in color although !
1914 Oostende area .
Lots of activity on the picture , troopers on the road ,
A kitchen in the field ?
Roaming soldiers and a group that takes a break on the side of the road
pre- sturmtruppen! ?
@+
Patrick

Regulus 1

Post by Regulus 1 » 29 May 2005, 16:56

Patrick,

I know the picture rather well, it's also in my collection.
This is the normal dark blue uniform of the Kaiserliche Marine-Marinekorps Flandern. I have such a vest in my collection, in German it is named uberzieher.
Fieldkitchen it is indeed.

Best from Johan

CNOCK

MARINE STURMTRUPPEN

Post by CNOCK » 02 Jun 2005, 18:30

Hallo Peter,

I doubt that the colour on the steel helmet is original.

Regulations said that all German helmets on the Western front had to be painted in a dull colour.

This one is too shiny. The painting on the helmets of the marines in the trenches, picture You attached, is different and dull. of colour.

Kind greetings,

CNOCK
Attachments
SEEBAT.jpg
Soldier of former Seebataillon, pictured in 1916 in Bruges studio.
SEEBAT.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 3095 times

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 16 Apr 2006, 08:05

CNOCK

Post by CNOCK » 16 Apr 2006, 09:29

Hello Peter,

Thank You for mentionning my website.
It is only 2 days in use.

Regards,

Cnock

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 16 Apr 2006, 17:44

That's a really good website, nicely laid out with great photos! I'm going to add it to the links page of my website (http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk)
Well done Cnock!
Cheers
Chris

Fallschirmjäger

English translation?

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 18 Apr 2006, 06:10

Is there a english translation device of sorts for your site or not cnock?,thanks.

Return to “Imperial Germany”