Missing Gun from the SMS Königsberg

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Tanzania

Re: Missing Gun from the SMS Königsberg

Post by Tanzania » 08 Feb 2016, 17:55

10,5-cm-Koenigsberg Gun shell from the Bagamojo Gun

Just found it on my laptop; photo during a longer Visit in Capetown in 2006-2008.

Simontstown Museum / Western Cape / South Africa
http://www.simonstown.com/museum/stm_main.htm
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 09 Feb 2016, 01:27

I am considering composing a letter to the Coca-Cola Company, asking them to ask the Gentleman who operates the kiosk at Fort Jesus to photograph the serial numbers on the gun and then send them to me. I would happily post & share a photo of the Vendor standing next to the Cannon drinking a Coca-Cola.

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 09 Feb 2016, 02:09

I am considering composing a letter to the Coca-Cola Company, asking them to ask the Gentleman who operates the kiosk at Fort Jesus to photograph the serial numbers on the gun and then send them to me. I would happily post & share a photo of the Vendor standing next to the Cannon drinking a Coca-Cola.
That explain the background. My last photos from 2010 don’t show the serial no. of the gun and I
I think generation of paints have to be removed, before a result will be visible. If somebody would
start to use Striper on this national monument without a permission the police arrested him at once.

“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 09 Feb 2016, 02:41

I see all of one and most of the other Recoil Dampers are Missing. The missing big brass covers shared the barrel's serial number. I have e-mailed the National Museums of Kenya several times regarding this gun, but I have never received a response.

Were you standing in chicken poop when you photographed this....ummmm....National Treasure? Ha!

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 09 Feb 2016, 03:11

I see that someone has scraped the paint from the gun barrel at the Chambeshi Monument and revealed the Bavarian coat-of-arms. That was not polite.
Kasama 1.JPG

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 09 Feb 2016, 04:52

I see that someone has scraped the paint from the gun barrel at the Chambeshi Monument and revealed the Bavarian coat-of-arms
It wasn´t me . . . . . word of honour. ( - :roll: - )

furthermore . . . this is incitement for damage to property. ( - :lol: - )

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 09 Feb 2016, 13:47

Were you standing in chicken poop when you photographed this....ummmm....National Treasure?
Beware of the Rooster guarding the gun!
46030636.jpg
46030636.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 10 Feb 2016, 00:26

"I see all of one and most of the other Recoil Dampers are Missing."

Curious that the Pretoria gun has one recoil damper with a different serial number from its barrel...

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 10 Feb 2016, 00:32

I've been talking to a very helpful local historian in Hove called Judy Middleton to try to find out more on that Bagamoyo gun being there. She managed to find a photo in the Sussex Daily News from 1928 showing the gun at Hove Railway station.

Here's the article on her website-
http://hovehistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -guns.html

Cheers
Chris

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 10 Feb 2016, 01:45

Tanzania wrote: My last photos from 2010 don’t show the serial no. of the gun and I
I think generation of paints have to be removed, before a result will be visible. If somebody would
start to use Striper on this national monument without a permission the police arrested him at once.

Thank you for posting this photo! It looks like the guns on the Krupp carriages had no traverse (left right) aiming at all...

Cheers
Chris

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 11 Feb 2016, 00:00

"I see all of one and most of the other Recoil Dampers are Missing."

Curious that the Pretoria gun has one recoil damper with a different serial number from its barrel...
I expect that both brass dampers were attached to the gun when it was originally unveiled as a War Memorial.

I do not think that the Fort Jesus gun is serial number 367.

I think the wheels and right-side damper on the Pretoria gun came from LT Kohtz's "Dodoma Depot/Kondoa-Irangi/exploded barrel/Krupp carriage" gun.

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 12 Feb 2016, 16:24

March 1916 Kahe
May 1916 Kondoa-Irangi
July 1916 Mwanza
August 1916 Ruvu River Bridge
August 1916 Bagamoyo
September 1916 Tabora - Kologwe
September 1916 Tabora - Itaga
September 1916 Dar es Salaam evacuated
January 1917 Kibata
October 1917 Mahiwa
November 1917 Masasi

Two Krupp carriages were sent from Dar es Salaam in early 1916; one went to Bagamoyo and one went to Kondoa-Irangi.

A Krupp carriage was damaged at Kondoa-Irangi in May 1916. It was returned to the workshop in DAR. After several months, a resurrected “Franken-Wagen” was sent Kigoma Hill without a barrel (circa July-August 1916).

The two other Krupp carriages departed DAR prior to September 1916.They met their fates at Mahiwa and Masasi in late-1917.

The Pretoria gun can not be the Masasi gun because its barrel exploded; therefore it must be either the Itaga gun or Mahiwa gun.

The Pretoria gun can not be the Mahiwa gun because Wenig’s photo shows that his gun is a Krupp carriage; therefore, the Pretoria gun can only be the Itaga gun.
Is this correct?
Dodoma Depot II.JPG
not krupp.JPG
not krupp.JPG (49.27 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 13 Feb 2016, 08:49

Chris Dale wrote:I've been talking to a very helpful local historian in Hove called Judy Middleton to try to find out more on that Bagamoyo gun being there. She managed to find a photo in the Sussex Daily News from 1928 showing the gun at Hove Railway station.

Here's the article on her website-
http://hovehistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -guns.html

Cheers
Chris

Very interesting photo. Thanks for posting. Looks really like the `First East-African Self-Propelled Gun´.

Because I am currently in Germany with access to hardcopy’s, please find attached three new scans and the highest possible resolution.

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 13 Feb 2016, 15:41

Both photos clearly show the Wheel-Brake mechanism & the Blast Shield are missing and that one wheel is installed backwards.
same gun.jpg

CPT Bob

Post by CPT Bob » 13 Feb 2016, 17:48

There were four Krupp carriages.

One went to Bagamoyo-Hove.

One was damaged at Kondoa-Irangi and then salvaged to create the Kigoma Hill-Itaga-Pretoria carriage.

One went to Masasi; Barrel burst.

One went to Mahiwa.

The three “Sergeant Southern” photos show the Masasi gun, an “undamaged” barrel that must be from the Mahiwa Gun and a Krupp carriage (apparently without a barrel) that is being prepared for towing.

Germans report the Mahiwa Gun was disabled with explosives before being abandoned to the British.

No verifiable photos of the Mahiwa Gun after its capture have yet surfaced.

At Mahiwa, it is possible that the Germans damaged the wheels (as at the Ruvu River Bridge) but not the Barrel.

I contend that the Fort Jesus gun is the Mahiwa barrel mounted on the Masasi carriage and that the “Sergeant Southern” photos show the salvage operation.

I interpret the one photo to show that damaged parts were removed from the Krupp carriage and the wheel was reinstalled at the Masasi site and then the rolling carriage was recovered.
Sgt Southern ASC. No38 mtama.JPG
Sgt Southern ASC. No37 Helada.JPG
Sgt Southern ASC. No36.JPG

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”