German designs on the Philippines?

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Re: German designs on the Philippines?

Post by Chris Dale » 11 Nov 2009, 02:52

Hello Jednakovic and welcome to the forum!
Jednakovic00 wrote:I got a couple of questions about German designs on the Philippines:

1) What would Germany do with the Philippines if we assumed that they defeated the Americans in a second war for the Philippines?
Of course we can't know for usre but my guess is that they'd treat them in a simialr way to their other colonies in the Pacific. Trading bases, small numbers of local troops maybe build a radio station?
Jednakovic00 wrote:2) If Germany takes control of the Philippines, would they use it as a penal colony for any convicts or rebellious subjects?
I doubt it, they didn't do that with their other colonies.
Jednakovic00 wrote: 3) Assuming Austria-Hungary also takes control of the Philippines other than the Germans, what would they do with the country? Rule it from Vienna or Budapest, or would they have a condiminium, like they have in Bosnia? Would they use it as a penal colony for their rebellious subjects?
That's quite unlikely too, I think. Austria-Hungary had very little interest in overseas colonies. Those are just my guesses, though...

Cheers
Chris

Mischa

Post by Mischa » 05 Jul 2011, 11:51

This opinion by Peter H on 12 May 2007 01:47

Even before the outbreak of the Spanish-American War in 1898,some German leaders wanted Imperial Germany to support Spain against the United States.During the Spanish-American War,Imperial Germany despatched a fleet to Manila Bay,in order to strengthen German claims on the Philippines if the United States abandoned the islands

is not objective, since it represents only the opinion of one hand, and to know the whole truth, you should also read what the Germans have in this case to say, here it is (sorry for the poor translation, but first I translated from German into Polish, and then through the translator into English, making minor adjustments in its sole discretion, to be at least a little understandable.

Initially, the problems in the Philippines concerned only Spaniards and Americans, but in the meantime their political claims on the islands identifed the United Kingdom, France and Russia. Emperor William II turned to Vizeadmiral Diederichs with personal orders to reconnoiter the archipelago was personally convinced, and how things are there. This, because of that his former flagship Kaiser was not yet ready for the road (reconstruction in Nagasaki after grounding), he traveled from Cingtao on board of the cruiser Kaiserin Augusta, going 12.06. to Manila. His report, he looked briefly as follows:

The reign of Americans is limited loudness of their guns. On land, the Spaniards continued to resist. Filipinos do not want to replace the Spanish on the American colonists on the island and are fighting against both sides.

Irene, arrived in Manila 08.05., where the lock has already been announced though, but none of the consul was informed about. It was not until that moment when the next day without any obstacles Cormoran came to the port. At that time there was also already mentioned Vizeadm. Diederichs, who was treated by the Americans very decently. The situation changed abruptly, however, when 18 resp. 20.06. came to Manila Kaiser and Wilhelm Prinzeß.

Explains of Vice Admiral Diederichs, that such a gathering of German ships is intended only to gather in one group of ships to make the stay changes, the Americans had no experience, who had assumed a hostile attitude and clearly did not help here, even a joint statement presented to 26.06. Diederichs, along with other commanders of units that have gathered in Manila, and using the situation of the Spaniards approached with the request that a neutral port state, Germany, which was surrounded by them care what the Americans decisively rejected. At Admiral Dewey nothing has changed so by a declaration of the emperor that the Reich (Wilhelm II) has no intentions of expansion in relation to the Philippine islands. Dewey ran in her, intransigent, anti-German attitude, and strengthened it even more still in the mistaken belief, when news of municipal reported the approach of the Second Squadron to Manila under the command of Prince Henry of Prussia. Several incidents that occurred between German and American ships, the latter accused the Germans that deliberately violate provisions of the blockade, have led to the famous incident on 10.07. with the American flagship, armored cruiser, Olympia, known in the history of the concept of so-called. "Manila Conflict". Diderich`s Flag officer, Kapitänleutnant Hintze, was ordered to submit to U.S. Admiral Dewey the German point of view of the situation, but he lose in conversation more and more self-control, at one point resorted to statements that sounded like a declaration of war "and this means war, young man!" when the Hintze capsuled. He categorical declined to request control of Germany's units passing through the lock-line.

Choosing his words gently, but consistently strenuous his position, the head of the German squadron, rejected the American request, arguing it "the continuance of its position official business out of sheer envy, it represents a junior officer's flagship service, compared to having many more years of service to the German commander of the squadron."

Aggressive behavior and this attitude of American Admiral, U.S. Navy squadron commander, were so incomprehensible that even 08.07. Prinzess Wilhelm rose and left the pair of Manila in the direction of China, and Dewey knew this perfectly well, and that the 15th will follow in her footsteps also Cormoran. Joint Statement with adm. Dewey, as the parties understand the concept of a naval blockade, which rozładowało tense atmosphere, the crisis was defused.
The US – cutter Mc Culloch tried 27.06. to stop the cruiser Irene, what presented the American painter-artist Frank Cresson Schell (1857-1942), since that has not responded to his challenge, because it wanted to stop and check her, giving a warning shot before her bow, but Irene ignored it and went his own way), it was the reason that adm. Dewey during a meeting with Diederich`s flagship officer, jumped pressure.

1. Source: Hildebrand H.H – Röhr A.– Steinmetz H.-O. – Die Deutschen Kriegsschiffe, Biographien – ein Spiegel Marinegeschichte von 1815 bis zur Gegenwart, Mundus Verlag Ratingen.
Attachments
Irene 1898 Manila.jpg
Frank Cresson Schell (1857-1942) Mc Culloch will stop Irene.

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 21 Sep 2012, 21:35

Chris Dale wrote:Hello Jednakovic and welcome to the forum!
Jednakovic00 wrote:I got a couple of questions about German designs on the Philippines:

1) What would Germany do with the Philippines if we assumed that they defeated the Americans in a second war for the Philippines?
Of course we can't know for usre but my guess is that they'd treat them in a simialr way to their other colonies in the Pacific. Trading bases, small numbers of local troops maybe build a radio station?
Jednakovic00 wrote:2) If Germany takes control of the Philippines, would they use it as a penal colony for any convicts or rebellious subjects?
Jednakovic00 wrote: 3) Assuming Austria-Hungary also takes control of the Philippines other than the Germans, what would they do with the country? Rule it from Vienna or Budapest, or would they have a condiminium, like they have in Bosnia? Would they use it as a penal colony for their rebellious subjects?
That's quite unlikely too, I think. Austria-Hungary had very little interest in overseas colonies. Those are just my guesses, though...

Cheers
Chris
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
thsi may explain what Germany was 'looking for '...
http://rainforests.mongabay.com/10rubber.htm

The rubber price boom after the wiping out of the wild vines in Leopold's Congo( Funtunaia elastica,by disease) generated a huge amount of concern, among industrial nations, as Holland & England formed a virtual 'rubber cartel'- disease was crippling the Brazilian industry.

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 23 Sep 2012, 18:33

waldzee wrote:
Chris Dale wrote:Hello Jednakovic and welcome to the forum!

Cheers
Chris
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
thsi may explain what Germany was 'looking for '...
http://rainforests.mongabay.com/10rubber.htm

The rubber price boom after the wiping out of the wild vines in Leopold's Congo( Funtunaia elastica,by disease) generated a huge amount of concern, among industrial nations, as Holland & England formed a virtual 'rubber cartel'- disease was crippling the Brazilian industry.
By 1912 the price of Rubber had risen by 800% in ffteen years,& was essential to modern industrial production.

Germny prob.was very itrested in the Island of Minadao- centre of Phillipine's rubberprodution.

waldzee
Banned

More on rubber

Post by waldzee » 23 Sep 2012, 18:33

http://www.historycooperative.org/proce ... hagan.html
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/10850600

Te boomin rubber & tin , & all tropical commodities, increased the tensions leading up tohe Great War.

AND THE BEST LINK
http://www.therubbereconomist.com/The_R ... rices.html

ErichvN

Post by ErichvN » 17 Dec 2012, 05:38

In answer to your first question the Germans were interested in setting up a naval base in the Philippines like Tsintao, not in taking over the whole colony. The German plan was to claim some land and build a whole base their just like in Tsintao.
In addition Germans usually gave colonies allot of local autonomy usually only appointing a colonial governor and some staff to handle the overall colony.

On the other hand the Austria-Hungarian empire wasn't overly interested in overseas territories (their only attempts in Venezuela and the Indian Ocean failed badly), but if they did take over the Philippines they would have probably given them quite a bit of self governing like they gave to all the member groups of the nation.

Rheinmetall-Borsig

Re:

Post by Rheinmetall-Borsig » 14 Jun 2021, 23:44

Peter H wrote:
12 May 2007, 02:58

Meanwhile, the ever industrious Lt. Raeder had taught himself Spanish as yet another language he had mastered and also began his career as a military writer with a paper entitled The Philippine Revolt Against Spanish Domination that found favor with both Capt. Flachte and Prince Heinrich.
Hi, I wonder if someone could help me. I'm interested in this piece of trivia about Raeder. How many languages could he speak and to what degree could he speak them? I've never read a detailed biography of him.

Ironic he was industrious at that time.

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 17 Jun 2021, 18:16

In addition to his mother tongue, Raeder spoke English, French, Spanish and Russian (Erich Raeder: Mein leben, Band 1, pg 42).
His French and Russian were sufficient for the translation of naval literature into German.
(etude sur la tactique naval + Rassplata)
He was an observer in the Russo-Japanese war and wrote a paper on the rebellion in the Phillipines under Spanish rule.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 18 Jun 2021, 02:00

Excellent answer Olli!
Chris

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”