Mauser Afrika modell

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Cristiano de S.O Campos

Mauser Afrika modell

Post by Cristiano de S.O Campos » 30 Sep 2008, 14:42

Hi

I found i the website about Mauser rifles, one model named Afrika modell, hubting rifle, much used by settlers in german colonies and by schutztruppe reservists

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/Afrika-Modell.172.0.html

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/Africa-Model.172.0.html?&L=1

cheers

Cristiano
Rio
Brazil

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Re: Mauser Afrika modell

Post by Chris Dale » 01 Oct 2008, 00:25

Thanks for posting that link, Cristiano. It has some good overall information on mauser rifles.

The rifle I'm most interested in isn't mentioned however- the Mauser Schutztruppen-Gewehr 98. Does anyone know anything about this rifle? It's mentioned in "Die Kaiserliche Schutz- und Polizeitruppe für Afrika" by Reinhard Schneider on P30, as a variation on the standard G98 for use by the Schutztruppe mounted infantry in DSWA. Does anyone know it's specifics, or how many were issued and when?

Cheers
Chris

Stabsveterinär

Post by Stabsveterinär » 01 Oct 2008, 14:51

I confirm what you said about this rifle Chris (Schutztruppen Gewehr). I saw on photos from DSWA riders that I can't publish here unfortunately, that some of the Gewehr 98 used by riders had a curve lever (like the K98 from WW2) and not a straigh one (like normal Gewehr 98) - (sorry here my english is too poor: in french "levier de culasse coudé" and not as usual "levier de culasse droit"). But I don't know if it is specific to Schutztruppen Gewehr or just a local modification.

I also noticed that a 98 type cavalry carabine was used specifically in Afrika (DSWA and Kamerun for sure): it looks like a Turkish M1905 or an Argentinian M1909 cavalry cararbine (see pictures above) , both carabine with a 88 cavalry carabine muzzle. (Photos from http://www.rjholloway.co.uk/rifles.htm.)
Attachments
argentine_mauser_carbineb.jpg
argentine_mauser_carbineb.jpg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
argentine_mauser_carbinea.jpg
argentine_mauser_carbinea.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 01 Oct 2008, 15:36

I'm glad you've noticed some difference on the Schutztruppe Gewehr. I do not know much about rifles, so I hadn't spotted such details.

A "curved lever", yes that makes sense in English too!

I hadn't noticed a different carbine in use either... thanks for that, I'll see if I can find more about that somewhere.

Cheers
Chris

Stabsveterinär

Post by Stabsveterinär » 01 Oct 2008, 16:17

Always happy to help and share what I know! I have a picture showing Kamerun Schutztruppe using this kind of carabine. The photo is taken from the Kolonial Post Nummer 11 from November 1941. I have taken a photo from it and I will put it on the forum as soon as... I found the cable to transfer it from my camera to the computer! :oops:

Stabs.

Gew71

Post by Gew71 » 01 Oct 2008, 23:15

There were three carbine configurations of the 98.The first two were developed soon after the adoption of the Gew 98 and were pretty much the standard cavalry type carbine of the time,and both had fairly limited production.They were full stocked with about 18'' barrels with a smaller version of the Lange type curved rear sight,and the second version could mount a bayonet.I've seen pictures of this version being used in South West Africa.

The Gew98 "Kolonial Gewehr" I've seen pictures of,but never one "in the flesh".It had a bent bolt handle and the Lange Visier rear sight started at 200 meters instead of 400 like the standard Gew 98 rear sight.It's been conjectured that these were modified from standard rifles at an ordnance workshop in South West Africa,and were intended for mounted troops.

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 01 Oct 2008, 23:49

Thanks Gew71, for the information.
Cheers
Chris

Stabsveterinär

Post by Stabsveterinär » 02 Oct 2008, 18:53

Nice information indeed Gew71. Here is the photo of Kamerun askaris using this kind of carabine. Sorry for the quality, it's the best I can do with a newspaper as source.

Regards
Stabsveterinär
Attachments
DSCF3481.JPG
DSCF3481.JPG (102.87 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
DSCF34812.jpg
DSCF34812.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”