Experts on the Siege of Tsingtau

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
Joec03

Experts on the Siege of Tsingtau

Post by Joec03 » 04 Jul 2013, 10:59

I've been extensively researching the Siege of Tsingtau and found an old newspaper article, dated November 2, 1914 describing the defenses of the Germans in Tsingtau. Among other things it states the following:
At Bismarck Hill - The 3rd Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies)

At Mortoke (Moltke?) Hill - One squadron of cavalry, one company of infantry, and one company of machine gun corps

At Iltis Hill - The 5th Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies).

These comprise 2,401 men. Besides them, there are over 450 or three companies of a marine detachment stationed in North China.
I'm trying to match up these descriptions with the actual German regiments that were there.

I'm assuming the reference to "The 3rd Battalion of Marine Infantry" is actually the III. Seebataillon.

For the marine detachment stationed in North China, I assume the article is referring to the three companies of the East Asian Marine Detachment that were stationed at Tientsin and Peking.

What is puzzling to me is where the article refers to "The 5th Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies)". I have no idea what regiment this is.

I'm also puzzled by the the articles reference to "One squadron of cavalry, one company of infantry, and one company of machine gun corps" I assume they are references to the detachments of the III. Seebataillon

Can anyone help me figure out what actual German regiments the article referring to?

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Re: Experts on the Siege of Tsingtau

Post by Chris Dale » 09 Jul 2013, 22:39

Hi Joe :welcome:

I think your newspaper article (which newspaper is it?) is largely correct but with a few misunderstandings.

"Regiments" is the wrong word, there was one expanded battalion there.

"I'm assuming the reference to "The 3rd Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies)" is actually the III. Seebataillon."- I think you're correct here.

"One squadron of cavalry"- there were no cavalry. I think they are referring to the 5th Co, III SB which were mounted infantry.

"one company of infantry, and one company of machine gun corps"- Yes, there was an MG unit.

"The 5th Battalion of Marine Infantry (four companies)"- This is confusing. I don't believe the term V. Seebataillon was ever used in China though more companies of the III. SB were formed from reservists.

"Besides them, there are over 450 or three companies of a marine detachment stationed in North China" yes, as you say the East Asian Marine Detachment.

Hope that helps a bit, feel free to ask more...
Cheers
Chris

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 31 Jul 2013, 01:01

I am not sure you will ever fully reconcile the newspaper information with reality. All I can offer is the OB of the German forces at Tsingtao taken from the official history (Der Krieg zur See: Der kampf der kaiserlichen Marine in den Deutschen kolonien analge 1).

Pista! Jeff
TsingtaoOB_Page_1.jpg
TsingtaoOB_Page_2.jpg
TsingtaoOB_Page_3.jpg
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 31 Jul 2013, 01:02

Last page
Attachments
TsingtaoOB_Page_4.jpg
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 31 Jul 2013, 10:03

Thanks for posting all that Jwsleser, very useful...

Cheers
Chris

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”