NSDAP in DSWA

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
calaski8123

NSDAP in DSWA

Post by calaski8123 » 29 Oct 2016, 17:32

Does anyone know of any sources, articles, books, records, photos etc of the NSDAP in DSWA? I have a photo CD of DSWA with a few group photos with the swastika flag. I'm curious about the support the party got in the colony.

I had family in the Schutztruppe who remained in the colony after WWI and worked for the diamond companies. I'd be curious to know what the likelihood was that he would have been a party member given his history and employment. He eventually moved to Johannesburg and died in 1951.

Jim

Tanzania

Re: NSDAP in DSWA

Post by Tanzania » 30 Oct 2016, 05:20

Hi Jim,

This is a sensitive issue in Germany and under threat of punishment. This applies also to the handling
with articles, books and records. Maybe you find here some photos from this time period in formally DSWA.

Colonial picture Archive of the University in Frankfurt Germany
http://www.ub.bildarchiv-dkg.uni-frankf ... frame.html

Wish you luck and hope others can help you more.

Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

calaski8123

Re: NSDAP in DSWA

Post by calaski8123 » 30 Oct 2016, 17:16

Thank you for the link. I heard about this archive but never searched it before. I know the stigma in Germany however that doesn't apply to educational research. I'm just curious if the pressure to join the party was as strong in the colony as it would have been in Germany. I know the party was outlawed in I think 1934, but I'd like to know what the temperament was with the German Südwesters.

Jim

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”