WW2 Danish Freedom Fighter _ Finn Andersen

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Loyer

WW2 Danish Freedom Fighter _ Finn Andersen

Post by Loyer » 19 Mar 2012, 17:08

Hello group. I resently acquired 2 Walther pistols that had a story .
They originally belonged to Finn Anderson (or Andersen) who was a member of the resistance in Denmark during WW2. He died in Canada in the late 1990's and his widow passed the pistols onto a friend many years ago. That friend recently sold the Walther PP and PPK to me.

Is there a place on the net to investigate Finn Andersen and his role in WW2? Possibly one of the readers knows something about this man?

Please contact me at [email protected]

greglewis

Re: WW2 Danish Freedom Fighter _ Finn Andersen

Post by greglewis » 19 Mar 2012, 19:56

There's a Danish resistance museum on line somewhere. I find it after watching the film 'Flame and Citron' which is about the resistance. They should be able to help.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 20 Mar 2012, 10:23

Hi,

Sadly "Finn Andersen" would be a very common name in Demark, so I was wondering whether you might have any additional information on him. Do you know from where in Denmark he originated?
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 20 Mar 2012, 20:07

Hello

A possibility is here, use the search function "søg i databasen" just put in the name you are looking for:

http://modstand.natmus.dk/

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Loyer

Post by Loyer » 23 Mar 2012, 21:51

I am afraid I don't have any more information than what I have stated. I did look at the web site of the Danish Resitance museum however their "contact us" leads to a generic Danish location and not the museum itself.
It was a long shot and thanks to all who answered my question.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 23 Mar 2012, 22:04

Loyer

Post by Loyer » 18 Aug 2015, 17:59

Aug 2015 Update: I was contacted by the son of Finn Andersen today. Michael said his father passed away in Canada in 1973 and he had three more pistols.
Finn Andersen later made himself a name as a ballroom dancer .

Loyer

Post by Loyer » 20 Aug 2015, 01:49

Aug 2015 : Info on Finn Andersen ----
I'll talk with my Mom about some experiences, and see what might be pulled together (i wouldn't mind doing this just for myself even.)

He had mentioned that he blew up his first train at 17, and I think a lot of his group's efforts, were around impacting rail shipments of iron ore from Sweden (Denmark was not thrilled that Sweden was making a fortune selling materials to the Germans)

I remember him talking about one incident where a friend of his was captured by the Germans, and tortured by dripping gasoline into his eyes... apparently this was a common practice. Another fellow was forced to blow up his family's house.

For the last year or so of the war, he had to go into hiding as he was on a wanted list, and obviously, capture would have meant execution.

His Mother was an needlepoint hobbyist, and produced a (approx 16x20") memento of the war, listing just words and a few symbols, where color codes and size show the good, bad and ugly (e.g. the Shell House aka Gestapo HQ)

There is a book, I think called "Resistance Fighter" that was written by a resident of Horsens, the town that Dad was in. I have a pdf of it, but a quick search has not turned it up. I'm pretty sure it's available on Amazon.

After the war he seemed to have a lot of German officer friends, so he apparently managed to get over anti German sentiments.

After the war, he received a commission, I think i remember hearing that at the time, he was the youngest commission officer in the Danish army... At any rate, he was noticed, and Prince Gorm visited the family home a number of times (signed in the guest book).

In the Danish army, he served for several years in the middle east, and seemed to have a very high regard for the Palestinians and the Bedouins.

He was known as an excellent shot, with both short and long weapons, and started me off at a very young age shooting many types of weapons (pp, p38 and 1911 45 being my favorites)

He had had a bolt action rifle explode while firing, sending pieces back into his mouth.. very nicely fixed up with a lot of very well done gold work...

tramonte

Post by tramonte » 13 Oct 2015, 11:51

Honestly - are active military resistance movements wildly exaggerated by local folks after 1945 to hide their co-operation with occupiers? Another saga of myths, legends and fantasies?
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

- Gaston de Pawlowski, Dans les rides du front

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”