Unternehmen Walküre

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
lesm

Unternehmen Walküre

Post by lesm » 27 Aug 2014, 14:11

Hi everyone,

I have read WWII history since I was a kid (I'm old now) but never interested too much in the politics side of this war. In fact I have never read books about Stauffenberg and the July 20th plot. However, recently while travelling in a plane I read an article about the plot. I have some questions on this subject though:

As far as I understand "Unternehmen Walküre" was an emergency plan designed to deal with civil disturbances in the Reich.
-So, why the plot against Hitler is broadly named Operation Walkyrie?
-Do the conspirators used the same name as a cover?
-If the plot was not named Operation Walkyrie, what name in German did the conspirators use, if any of course?

Thank you

bronk7

Re: Unternehmen Walküre

Post by bronk7 » 24 Oct 2014, 19:52

yes, it was the existing plan, and they used it as more or a less a ''cover'' for the plot, since there was no civil disturbance..but they called it into action to arrest the pro-regime people...very, very interesting story....I suggest you read a few books on it....you couldn't make a fiction story better.....

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 24 Oct 2014, 20:29

There were several contingency plans ,called Walküre 1,2,etc,to mobilize forces of the Reserve Army in case of crisis ;the 1944 Walküre was an official plan for the Reserve Army to go in action if Allied airborne units landed in Germany,or there was a revolt by foreign workers (there were millions of them) .

bronk7

Post by bronk7 » 25 Oct 2014, 04:31

as far as same names, I've read about 4 books and numerous articles, but I don't recall anything on that...like you, I just recently[ last 4 or so years ] have reading about the 'other' parts of the war..I've been reading about WW2 battles for over 35 years

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”