The place where Heydrich´s attempt was.

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Adam Carr

Re: The place where Heydrich´s attempt was.

Post by Adam Carr » 12 Sep 2012, 06:07

I think this subject has been talked to death.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 Sep 2012, 11:30

Max Williams wrote:
Worldwarstoday wrote:Following on from the previous topic:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 08&start=0

which was locked quite unneccessarily IMO - why not just delete the offensive posts and warn the guy who kept on posting the same photograph in every post of the wrong location where the assassination attempt took place...

By locking the topic you are preventing others from asking or responding to genuine questions. :|
Marcus Wendel wrote:The topic has been reopened for further relevant discussions on the assassination.

/Marcus
The problem with this is the title and subject matter of this thread is about the LOCATION of the attack not about the consequences or what happened to Heydrich subsequently. I am of the opinion that Dieter was correct to lock the thread as it had run its course on the LOCATION and further discussion only started to confuse the matter. The subsequent posts by Worldwarstoday have nothing to do with the title of this thread and should be in either a new thread or in an existing one about the results of the attack, of which there are already several. In my opinion, re-opening this particular thread is a retrograde step as it plainly adds to the confusion caused by having too many threads on the same subject.
Max Williams.
Adam Carr wrote:I think this subject has been talked to death.
Thank you Adam. I totally agree.
Max.

Paulheald

Assassination of SS General Heydrich

Post by Paulheald » 04 Oct 2013, 13:06

[Moved from the now defunct thread "Assassination of SS General Heydrich"]

Some years ago I went on an historical tour that followed the brief period in which SS General Heydrich was Reich Protector of Bohemia and Moravia. We were taken to the location where the assassination took place by two very brave Czech patriots. However, our guide had great difficulty in actually pinpointing the exact location of the assassination. From what I understand relatively recently there has been a monument erected on the spot where the assassination actually did take place. It would appear that due to the modernization of the road system the original "Heydrich Bend" is no longer there. I have looked on Google Earth maps, but this just shows the modern day road layouts and not the road lay out as it was in 1942. Does anyone have access to the road map of Holesovice in 1942? I have searched on the Internet, but without much success.

wm

Re: Assassination of SS General Heydrich

Post by wm » 04 Oct 2013, 13:14

This is a composite of aerial photos of that spot taken before and after the modernization:

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 04 Oct 2013, 15:56

Hi WM -That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much - it is really outstanding. I wanted to go back again to Prague to do a revist, but was disappointed to learn, via this forum, that The Castle at Jungfern-Breschan is now in private ownership and they do not welcome visitors. However, Zeus Photography has done and excellent picture gallery of The Castle as it is nowadays. So I guess I will have to leave it at that.

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 04 Oct 2013, 16:14

Tks WM...I find that fascinating very helpful to clearly illustrate the 'then and now'. :thumbsup:

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 04 Oct 2013, 18:08

It is little wonder that our tour guide was battling to orientate himself with the changes in the road layout. This was in the days prior to there being any form of monument or even a plaque to mark the site.

I have some interesting photographs taken by the German authorities at the time that I will rake out over the weekend and post them on this thread. No, not the ones of the wrecked car, but more looking at the road lay out, the ambience of the trams and one showing the extent of the blast damage on the road made by the explosion. I have done a quick trawl through the images on pages 1-13 on this site and I don't see any of them.

wm

Post by wm » 04 Oct 2013, 19:22

Paulheald wrote:The Castle at Jungfern-Breschan is now in private ownership and they do not welcome visitors.
To be entirely correct it is undergoing renovation right now, so not everything is lost yet. At least the current owner is not one of those senseless Eastern Europeans who bought something of historical value after the fall of Communism and promptly ran out of repair money.
But in the same village of Panenské Břežany lives Helena Vovsová, a gardener of Heydrich's family, and then the (evil and highly stingy) widow - Lina Heydrich, for example she was there when Heydrich's son Klaus was run over by a truck. So maybe there is a chance for a little chat.
Another witness Milan Platovský, a Jewish slave working in the residence at that time, lives now in the distant Chile.
And btw the house of Jan Kubiš, unchanged during all that years can be seen in his home village of Dolní Vilémovice.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 05 Oct 2013, 07:39

Hi wm - thanks, once again, for the most interesting information. I mentioned before that Zeus Photography managed to get into the castle fairly recently and take some interesting pics. Here is the link, if anyone is interested <http://www.zeusphotography.co.uk/index. ... ouse-Today>

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 05 Oct 2013, 10:33

I don't know what all this is about because I don't speak German, but I thought that it might be of interest to the group.
Attachments
Heydrich bend 1.jpg
per courtesy Jaroslav Crancara

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 05 Oct 2013, 11:02

I think that this is the street down which the Mercedes must have been travelling towards the steep bend. I find the factory chimney to be useful in trying to orientate the the position of the bend itself. I note that the streets in those days were cobbled.
Heydrich bend 2.jpg
Per courtesy Jaroslav Crancara

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 05 Oct 2013, 11:20

This is much the same as the previous pic but from a slightly different angle and a lot clearer.
Attachments
Heydrich bend 3.jpg
Per courtesy Jaroslav Crancara

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 05 Oct 2013, 15:10

I think that these pics were taken by the Gestapo, but I am not going to give them credit for so doing!
Attachments
Heydrich bend 4.jpg
per courtesy Jaroslav Crancara

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 05 Oct 2013, 15:14

Thanks Paulheald for those pictures.

There were several changes to this corner.
Older picture presented by wm is actually from 1953.
When you examine earlier, war time picture I included, you notice road was narrower and bend was further east than on 1953 picture. Don't pay attention to street labels, those are current. :)
Attachments
Bend 1940.jpg

wm

Post by wm » 05 Oct 2013, 17:03

Are you sure about that? The clump of trees east of the Institute of Rock Structure looks different because both pictures were taken at different angles, at different times of the year, and at different times of day (judging by the shadows).
On my picture the trees look leafless or maybe they are cut down altogether.

Looking at the picture below it's obvious that the Institute and the trees were below the street level. Because of that, and because of the multiple tram tracks there no local government would have attempted a small correction of the road without a serious reason. Especially shortly after the WW2.
jk.jpg
jk.jpg (70.21 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
from:http://aktualne.centrum.cz/domaci/spole ... cid=782871

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”