the Ukrainian insurgent army,collaborators or resistants?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Manweru

Post by Manweru » 16 Dec 2005, 20:16

Askold wrote: - Just because YOU assume UPA to be Nazis, does not make UPA nazis.
And you disagree? Do you disagree that UPA murdered thousands of Polish civilians out hate similiar to the Nazi's hate of the Jews? Do you deny that UPA's ideology was very similiar to Nazism, in terms of stance toward other nationalities?
1. Photo first appeared not during the war but around 60's - when UPA bashing campaign started
How would you like the photo to "appear" during the war? It took time to sort out the 4 sided German-Soviet-AK-UPA situation. It is fully possible that it was done by some local photographer and then put in some AK or personal archive for years.
3. Knowing how falsified were the communist publications - one should accept the possibility of photo not relating to UPA but being used to discredit the Ukrainian independece movement.
Of course, but would the communists use forgery when they had plenty of evidence against UPA?
- Am no denying the fact of crimes against Polish colonists in Volyn'. However same crimes were made against Ukrainian peasants by Polish nationalists even earlier, so I don't understand why you keep bitching about it.
Wrong. There was no mass murder of Ukrainian civilian population by Poles untill UPA started to murder Poles.(unless you mean 17th century or some other distant time)
Why would communists use a fake photo with the huge amount of evidence provided by the UPA?
- Because it is a gruessome photo and one picture speaks of thousand words ;)
Sure, I guess they would make a fake photo if they would NEED to, but remember that UPA murdered thousands of people, with lots of reports of excessive cruelty - I would be surprised there would't be anyone who would make some photos.
Most likely, the photo is genuine and there is no real reason to doubt it, unless of course you desperately WANT to doubt it and are in need of any kind of leverage.
Can you tell me how Poland was protector of Ukrainians?
Of course: Poland protected large part of today Ukraine from the Great Famine.
To prevent the growth of Ukrainian culture, the Poles conducted so called "Pacification" of Ukrainin willages in the 30's. The army would surround Ukrainian willages, burn down the libraries and churches and execute the prominent leaders. Nice protection eh?
Have you seen photos of victims of Great Famine? I did and they did make the pacification look like a paradise(then again it made almost anything else look like a paradise)
Ukrainians decided to "thank" Poles for saving the lives of hundreds of thousands (or millions?) of Ukrainians by mass torturing and murdering of Polish civilians.
Nothing what Poland did in the 20s or 30s was close to mass murder - Poles had every technical and military possibility to mass murder Ukrainians in a much more effective way than UPA ever could do with Poles, but did't do it, did't do it when they have the every advantage over Ukrainians.
- Am not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Are you stating that Ukrainians should be thankfull to Poland for being a lesser evil?
I want to say this:
1) Poland saved thousands or perhaps even millions of Ukrainians from the Great Famine. Poland did opress Ukrainians, but the opression was small and the horror from which it protected them was tremendous.
2) Poland had every possibility to mass murder Ukrainians during the 20s or 30s, but did't do it.
3) When Ukrainians/UPA got a small bit of possibility to mass murder Poles, they did it with immense cruelty,completely ignoring the #1 and #2. Furthermore, the Ukrainians who were murdering Poles were often direct beneficients of the protection that living in Poland gave them from the Great Famine.

Should Ukrainians be thankfull? I would be thankfull if somebody would save hundreds of thousands of Poles from death of starvation.

But no, I did't want to say that they should thank Poland, but I think modern Ukrainians should strive for a bit higher honesty and moral dignity and should admit outloud what really happened and should simply say the truth, instead of running away from it.

M.
Last edited by Manweru on 17 Dec 2005, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 16 Dec 2005, 23:55

Askold and Manweru -- Drop the personal remarks. They have no place in a research section of the forum.

paratatruc

Post by paratatruc » 17 Dec 2005, 08:51

Well, I didn't forget my original questions:
Which organisation(UPA or OUN) rescued the 14 SS division "Galizia", and in which battle?
Which organisation killed Victor Lutze( in case he didn't merely died in an accident in Berlin), and which one killed the soviet marechel Vaatutin?
I'm also looking for the agreement made by the Ukrainians nationalist and the hungarian occupying army(any side does not seam to deny it)
And I have an other question which is a little out of the subject: Did any poll remain in the modern Galizia?
Thanks,

Askold

Post by Askold » 19 Dec 2005, 17:21

Manweru:
And you disagree? Do you disagree that UPA murdered thousands of Polish civilians out hate similiar to the Nazi's hate of the Jews? Do you deny that UPA's ideology was very similiar to Nazism, in terms of stance toward other nationalities?
- AK murdered thousands of Ukrainian civilians out of hate - does that make them Nazi collaborators too? Polish ideology of Greater Poland was no better than Nazi GrossDeutschland policy.

How would you like the photo to "appear" during the war? It took time to sort out the 4 sided German-Soviet-AK-UPA situation. It is fully possible that it was done by some local photographer and then put in some AK or personal archive for years.
- Your assumption that the photo was hidden for (what purposes?) is rather weak. Being a powerfull photo, it would have been put to use right away. What is the point of publishing it in the 60's, when UPA siesed to exist in 1956?
Wrong. There was no mass murder of Ukrainian civilian population by Poles untill UPA started to murder Poles.(unless you mean 17th century or some other distant time)
- There was not mass muder of Polish civilian population either. Just because few villages went up in smocke you can't make it a genoside.

Sure, I guess they would make a fake photo if they would NEED to, but remember that UPA murdered thousands of people, with lots of reports of excessive cruelty - I would be surprised there would't be anyone who would make some photos.
Most likely, the photo is genuine and there is no real reason to doubt it, unless of course you desperately WANT to doubt it and are in need of any kind of leverage.
- Photo like this would be usefull to illustrate UPA "cruelty". LIke I said - the photo is probably genuine, but there is nothig that proves it was done by UPA.

- Protected Ukrainians by not killing them? Thats a stupid way to reason.

Have you seen photos of victims of Great Famine? I did and they did make the pacification look like a paradise(then again it made almost anything else look like a paradise)
- Are you justifying the Pacification, just because it didn't kill enough people? The size of the crime does not lessen the blame of Poland. Even if hunderds of people were killed instead of millions - Poland still engaged in crimes against civilians.

Nothing what Poland did in the 20s or 30s was close to mass murder - Poles had every technical and military possibility to mass murder Ukrainians in a much more effective way than UPA ever could do with Poles, but did't do it, did't do it when they have the every advantage over Ukrainians.
- Frankly speaking I don't think Poland could pulled it off - it was not that much of strong country on the world scene. I think Ukrainians would wage a full scale internal war, and other country's as well to protect their minorities. ie. Germans would interviene to ask for Danzig, Lithuanians would interviene to take Vilnus and Czechs to take back Teshin.

I want to say this:
1) Poland saved thousands or perhaps even millions of Ukrainians from the Great Famine. Poland did opress Ukrainians, but the opression was small and the horror from which it protected them was tremendous.
- Poland saved nobody. In fact if Poland had the opportunity to get rid of Ukrainians (or any other minorities for the fact) they would.

But no, I did't want to say that they should thank Poland, but I think modern Ukrainians should strive for a bit higher honesty and moral dignity and should admit outloud what really happened and should simply say the truth, instead of running away from it.
- And I think modern Poles should strive for a bit higher honesty and moral dignity and should admit outloud about their shouvenistic hate and persecution of Ukrainians, instead of running away from it.

Paratatruc:
Well, I didn't forget my original questions:
Which organisation(UPA or OUN) rescued the 14 SS division "Galizia", and in which battle?
- UPA resqued soldiers from Galicia division, during the Brody pocket.
Which organisation killed Victor Lutze( in case he didn't merely died in an accident in Berlin), and which one killed the soviet marechel Vaatutin?
- UPA killed both of them. Vatutin died from UPA ambush.
I'm also looking for the agreement made by the Ukrainians nationalist and the hungarian occupying army(any side does not seam to deny it)
And I have an other question which is a little out of the subject: Did any poll remain in the modern Galizia?
- What part of agreement are you interested in. It basically went along such lines: The Hungarian army promices to behave with local population in civil manner and stop requisitioning of food, UPA in return promices a safe pass to Hungary and neutrality. Hungarians sold number of weapons to UPA on top of things.

- As for the vets - yes, currently there is number of surviving UPA veterans, including the last commander of UPA Vasyl Kuk, who lives in Kiev.

David Thompson:
Askold and Manweru -- Drop the personal remarks. They have no place in a research section of the forum.
- I belive this discussion should has no place in the Resistance section of the forum. Despite my earlier plea to inteviene, you allowed the discussion to get sidetracked. Are you enjoing yourself watching another Polish-Ukrainian dogfight?

paratatruc

Post by paratatruc » 19 Dec 2005, 19:56

Thank you very much,
I didn't sugest that there was something of ilicite in the pact between the UPA and the hungarians.
When did the creation of the Broly pocket happened?During Bagration?
Thanks,

Askold

Post by Askold » 19 Dec 2005, 22:09

Paratatruk:

By all means - am happy to answer all related questions. Somewhere I've seen photo of joint Ukrainian-Hungarian delegation - I'll poct the pics.

P.S. Am not sure if Brody-Tarnow pocket was part of Bargration, perhaps other forum members can clear this up.

Manweru

Post by Manweru » 19 Dec 2005, 23:19

Askold wrote:Manweru:
- AK murdered thousands of Ukrainian civilians out of hate - does that make them Nazi collaborators too? Polish ideology of Greater Poland was no better than Nazi GrossDeutschland policy.
1. Are you able to answer my 2 questions directly? Or no?

2. Please don't twist what I wrote. I did't write that UPA were Nazi collaborators, I wrote that they were Ukrainian version of Nazis.

3. [Volhynian] AK did murder Ukrainian civilians mostly out of direct personal revenge of it's soldiers who lost families at the hands of UPA , please do not try to bring it down to UPA level. UPA murdered Polish civilians in a pre-planned, pre-meditated action, not in retaliation.

What AK did was wrong, but please don't mistake retaliation mass murder with premeditated mass murder.

4. "Greater Poland" ideology has never led to mass murder of civilians- unlike "Nazi GrossDeutschland" or UPA's "Independent Ukraine" ideologies.
- There was not mass muder of Polish civilian population either. Just because few villages went up in smocke you can't make it a genoside.
Few villages? We are speaking about tens of thousands of people in Volhynia alone. Yes , it was genocide.

International courts judging Serbian war criminals whose deeds were extremely similiar to those of UPA, declared them guilty of genocide.
- Protected Ukrainians by not killing them? Thats a stupid way to reason.
I think it is your reasoning which is characterised by shallow thought. Read again what I wrote. Poland protected Ukrainians not by "not killing them", but by acting as a protective barrier from Soviet rule- if there would be no Polish rule, SU would control whole Ukraine and probably all Ukrainians would feel the Great Famine.
- Are you justifying the Pacification, just because it didn't kill enough people? The size of the crime does not lessen the blame of Poland. Even if hunderds of people were killed instead of millions - Poland still engaged in crimes against civilians.
Crimes in modern sense in terms of opression, prohibition of free speech absolutely,yes. But no mass murder, which makes 1920-1939 Poland whole category better than UPA mass murderers.
- Frankly speaking I don't think Poland could pulled it off - it was not that much of strong country on the world scene. I think Ukrainians would wage a full scale internal war, and other country's as well to protect their minorities. ie. Germans would interviene to ask for Danzig, Lithuanians would interviene to take Vilnus and Czechs to take back Teshin.
Yes, Poland could pull it off, especially in the 20s- Germany was broken after WWI while Poland had the reputation of having won the Polish-Soviet war, and nobody in the region would start a war without a good cause. BTW it were the Czechs who had the control of disputed territories after 1920, not Poles. Nobody would help Ukrainians, and 'Polish' Ukrainians themselves had nothing - no weapons, no ammunition, and inferior numbers.
I want to say this:
- Poland saved nobody. In fact if Poland had the opportunity to get rid of Ukrainians (or any other minorities for the fact) they would.
Denial of reality. Poland did save 'Polish' Ukrainians from the fate of 'Soviet' Ukrainians (IE: Great Famine,etc)
- And I think modern Poles should strive for a bit higher honesty and moral dignity and should admit outloud about their shouvenistic hate and persecution of Ukrainians, instead of running away from it.
I admit the chauvinistic persecution of Ukrainians in the 1920-1939. At the same time, the hate of Ukrainians that sometimes surfaces among Poles, is largely founded in:

1)Mass murder of Polish civilians by UPA
2)Attempts to deny or justify the #1 and attempts to 'prove' that UPA criminals who mass murdered Polish civilians out of pathological hate were in fact decent people and worthy of respect.

Generally, I think that in most cases in which mass murder/genocide is commited, denial and genocide-apology starts to appear, as people are often unwilling to admit the uncomfortable truth.
At the same time however, one might think that Ukrainians, who had experienced not just the horror of Great Famine, but also the Soviet/Russian denial of these events which was/is continuing through the decades, should be somehow more aware and more careful not to adopt the "denial of reality" stance which AFAIK is very irritating to many Ukrainians when it comes to the Great Famine.
Yet, it seems that while the pro-UPA Ukrainians hate those Russians/Soviets who deny the nature of the Great Famine,they do the same thing as Russians when it comes to admitting the nature of UPA and it's mass murders.

M.

Askold

Post by Askold » 20 Dec 2005, 02:07

Manweru:
1. Are you able to answer my 2 questions directly? Or no?
1. Yes. Yes, I agree UPA murdered Poles.
2. No, I disagree that it was a genoside. Keep in mind that the Poles in Volyn were not an ethnic entity - they were the post war colonists who settled on Ukrainian land. This was Polish idea of polonising Ukraine, and like all bad ideas it didn't work.
2. Please don't twist what I wrote. I did't write that UPA were Nazi collaborators, I wrote that they were Ukrainian version of Nazis.
- I was wondering how would you react if term "UPA" was replaced with "AK". If only basing you assumption that Upa were Nazis because they killed Poles, then AK were Nazi too because they killed Ukrainians. You canno't just make such assumption simply because one group killed the other group.
3. [Volhynian] AK did murder Ukrainian civilians mostly out of direct personal revenge of it's soldiers who lost families at the hands of UPA , please do not try to bring it down to UPA level. UPA murdered Polish civilians in a pre-planned, pre-meditated action, not in retaliation.
- Actually AK began killing Ukrainian civilians earlier. During the German occupation, (when I have to admit, Ukrainian culture flourished way more than it did under Polish occupation), Polish AK would kill prominent Ukrainians and terrorize the Ukrainian villages.

In fact if you want to dig deeper on this silly argument on "who did it first" then remember that:
1. Polish authorities tried their best to supress Ukrainian authonomy movement in Austrian Galicia.
2. Polish army with the help of Antante crushed the Western-Ukrainian republic.
3. Poland broke the promice (given to the League of Nations) of Ukrainian authonomy.
4. Poland systematically persecuted and attacked Ukrainians in interwar years (ie. banning them from entering universities or military schools)
5. Poland commenced the Pacification action in 30's.
6. Poland took away land in Volyn from Ukrainian farmers and settled it with colonists.
7. Polish partizans began attacking Ukrainians during the German occupation.
8. Polish forces killed thousands of Ukrainians during operation Visla.

Few villages? We are speaking about tens of thousands of people in Volhynia alone. Yes , it was genocide.
- Then why thousands of Poles are supposed to be better than thousands of Ukrainians?
International courts judging Serbian war criminals whose deeds were extremely similiar to those of UPA, declared them guilty of genocide.
- I think the IC woud find Pacification actions taken by Polish government as a war crime too.

I think it is your reasoning which is characterised by shallow thought. Read again what I wrote. Poland protected Ukrainians not by "not killing them", but by acting as a protective barrier from Soviet rule- if there would be no Polish rule, SU would control whole Ukraine and probably all Ukrainians would feel the Great Famine.
- You're writing this as if all of Ukraine was under the Famine. The fact is, that only the East-Central wheat rich regons suffered. The Famine was aimed to eliminate the rich phesant classes of those regions.

Crimes in modern sense in terms of opression, prohibition of free speech absolutely,yes. But no mass murder, which makes 1920-1939 Poland whole category better than UPA mass murderers.
- Crime is still a crime and Poland was the first one to engage in war with Ukrainian people. Polish politics of persecution of Ukrainians is the direct cause of such horrible events.

Yes, Poland could pull it off, especially in the 20s- Germany was broken after WWI while Poland had the reputation of having won the Polish-Soviet war, and nobody in the region would start a war without a good cause. BTW it were the Czechs who had the control of disputed territories after 1920, not Poles. Nobody would help Ukrainians, and 'Polish' Ukrainians themselves had nothing - no weapons, no ammunition, and inferior numbers.
- We're talking about 30's. By that time Germany was on the rise and so was the dislike for Poland from its neighbours. In fact, Poland could not even get rid of OUN and these guy were just a small group to begin with.

I admit the chauvinistic persecution of Ukrainians in the 1920-1939.
- Then you must admit that Poland has nobody else to blame but itself for the fate of Poles in Volyn'. If you didn't sent the colonists and didn't persecute Ukrainians on their own land - then none of that would have happend.

Yet, it seems that while the pro-UPA Ukrainians hate those Russians/Soviets who deny the nature of the Great Famine,they do the same thing as Russians when it comes to admitting the nature of UPA and it's mass murders.
- When Poland admits to AK as murderous organization - perhaps Ukraine will admit to UPA's actions.

P.S. Regarding the shouvenism towards Ukrainians. It did not began as result or UPA actions. The hatred for Ukrainains runs much deeper in Polish history. I strongly recomend you should read:

Helen Sojka-Masztalerz "Rusini czy Ukraincy?, Jezykowy obraz naciji ukrainskiej w prasie polskiej (1918-1939)". Wroclawskie Towarzystwo Naukowe, 2002. ISBN: 83-7374-020-1.

The book is very interesting and it actually provides lots of explanations to Polish attitudes towards their neighbours. For exaple the dominating epitafs with conjuction to Ukrainians in Polish interwar press were:

Murderer, haidamak, nationalist, separatist, hooligan, terrorist. . Already in 20's Polish press described Ukrainians as wild barbarians who whould kill people with axes and so on...There fore I am not suprised that even now you are using such rhetoric as "mass tortureres, mutilators ect..". Your description of UPA is exact continuation of such myths.

Manweru

Post by Manweru » 20 Dec 2005, 09:21

2. No, I disagree that it was a genoside. Keep in mind that the Poles in Volyn were not an ethnic entity - they were the post war colonists who settled on Ukrainian land. This was Polish idea of polonising Ukraine, and like all bad ideas it didn't work.
1. Murdering settlers is still genocide. It's still murdering children, women, civilians.
2. Only some of them were settlers- some were Poles living there for hundreds of years.
- I was wondering how would you react if term "UPA" was replaced with "AK". If only basing you assumption that Upa were Nazis because they killed Poles, then AK were Nazi too because they killed Ukrainians. You canno't just make such assumption simply because one group killed the other group.
Of course- but this is't the only reason.

1)UPA did the mass murder in a organised,planned, pre-meditated way, just like the Nazis did to Jews.
2)Like the Nazis deeds, the UPAs mass murder was done out of irrational pathological hate and chauvinism.

AKs actions, while a war crime, were direct revenge for death of Polish civilians, many of whom were the family members of the AK soldiers. We cannot make equalisation between somebody who commits a pre-meditated Nazi-like irrational hate inspired mass murder, with somebody who commits a mass murder because his own family members were tortured and murdered.

Once again, the photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wolyn1943.jpg

In every country in the world, be it Poland, Ukraine or any other country, many people would seek revenge if something like that would be done to their family members,friends or neighbours, and it does't mean their Nazis.

If however, they would do it like UPA did, in a pre-meditated way without provocation of apprioprate scale, then they would be Nazis like UPA members were.
- Actually AK began killing Ukrainian civilians earlier. During the German occupation, (when I have to admit, Ukrainian culture flourished way more than it did under Polish occupation), Polish AK would kill prominent Ukrainians and terrorize the Ukrainian villages.
Do you have any kind of reference to it?

1. Ukrainians and OUN did collaborate with Germans, it is likely that AK executed some individuals for collaboration with Germans, but this is hardly something wrong,as long as they did't murder innocent civilians. AK as whole did conduct many (individual) Nazi-collaborator executions and it was in no way limited to Ukrainians- many Polish Nazi collaborators were shot by AK.

2. The "prominent Ukrainians" were also probably rabid anti-Polish Nazis like OUN/UPA members who commited the mass murders later. One can hardly blame AK for eliminating dangerous individuals of genocidal beliefs and intent.

Generally, I suspect that AK eliminated some rabid OUN Nazis and Nazi collaborators, but the Ukrainian side tried to make some kind of innocent martyrs out of these men.
In fact if you want to dig deeper on this silly argument on "who did it first" then remember that:
1. Polish authorities tried their best to supress Ukrainian authonomy movement in Austrian Galicia.
3. Poland broke the promice (given to the League of Nations) of Ukrainian authonomy.
4. Poland systematically persecuted and attacked Ukrainians in interwar years (ie. banning them from entering universities or military schools)
Yes, it was so.
6. Poland took away land in Volyn from Ukrainian farmers and settled it with colonists.
AFAIK Volyn was't especially densely populated and there was no big shortage of land. AFAIK Poland did give land to settlers, but the "took away from Ukrainians" is a post-OUN propaganda myth.
Slander and defamation. No wonder that Polish partisans attacked Ukrainians, because some Ukrainians were Nazi-collaborators and/or extremist fascists. This is however in no way something similiar to murder of innocent people.
Sure, but spared the lives of the majority. UPA OTOH, tried to murder every Pole it could reach.

- Then why thousands of Poles are supposed to be better than thousands of Ukrainians?
I actually have't said that I consider the murder of Ukrainians to be not-genocide. In fact I do think that was genocide too.

Thousands of murdered Poles are not 'better' than thousands of Ukrainians in terms of value of their death and suffering.

Still, there is difference in pre-meditated irrational Nazi-like crime with direct revenge and UPA deserves stronger condemnation.
- I think the IC woud find Pacification actions taken by Polish government as a war crime too.
Yes, but hardly major ones. Even prominent OUN activists like Bandera or Lebed were't murdered but simply put to prison which they survived, so where was the great evil?
- You're writing this as if all of Ukraine was under the Famine. The fact is, that only the East-Central wheat rich regons suffered. The Famine was aimed to eliminate the rich phesant classes of those regions.
Sure, but it is likely that the Great Famine was limited to the east because the SU wanted to avoid a international scandal. If it had control of all of Ukraine, the Great Famine would probably encompass more of it.
- Crime is still a crime and Poland was the first one to engage in war with Ukrainian people. Polish politics of persecution of Ukrainians is the direct cause of such horrible events.
Irrational justification of war criminals. Could you please explain how the Polish politics have actually *FORCED* UPA to do the torture and mass murders?
Do you consider torture, mutilation and murder of pregnant women and children to be justified because the the said children's or pregnant woman's compatriots limited free speech, dismantled a church or put some political activist in jail?

Sorry Askold, but this is a pathetic unbelieveable emotional rationalisation and further example of "reality-denial" attitude.

Every sane (non-Nazi) person will tell you that he would't ever murder a child or pregnant woman because of such relatively irrelevant (again, to a normal person) reasons.

The people who think that free speech limitation, church demolishion or political activist arrest are sufficient justification of ethnic-based mass murder of civilians, including children and pregnant women, are called "Nazis".

This is exactly why I have called UPA Nazis in the first place and I'm surprised that you still have't the courage to face the reality and see that your views are in fact classical Nazi-apologism and reality denial.
- We're talking about 30's. By that time Germany was on the rise and so was the dislike for Poland from its neighbours. In fact, Poland could not even get rid of OUN and these guy were just a small group to begin with.
Unlike that what you might hear from Ukrainian nationalist propaganda, Poland was simply being gentle with Ukrainians, it did't utilise even a fraction of possible force against them.
I admit the chauvinistic persecution of Ukrainians in the 1920-1939.
- Then you must admit that Poland has nobody else to blame but itself for the fate of Poles in Volyn'. If you didn't sent the colonists and didn't persecute Ukrainians on their own land - then none of that would have happend.
Again, flawed Nazi-think. "The Poles have to blame only themselves"..."The Jews have to blame only themselves"
What does this remind you of?

To a normal people without Nazi-influences or any sort of affection toward Nazi organisations like UPA, your reasoning on that subject is a hideous and repulsive Nazi-apology sort of thing.
- When Poland admits to AK as murderous organization - perhaps Ukraine will admit to UPA's actions.
So, in other words, you choose the Russian/Soviet way of denial and falsification.
BTW AK was't a murderous organisation because the mass murders were actions of local AK members who took personal revenge for deaths of their families, friends, neighbours. UPA's mass murder was pre-meditated organised action.
P.S. Regarding the shouvenism towards Ukrainians. It did not began as result or UPA actions. The hatred for Ukrainains runs much deeper in Polish history.
Yes and no. There was some chauvinism, but most of actual hate erupted due to UPAs actions.
Murderer, haidamak, nationalist, separatist, hooligan, terrorist. .
Which of these phrases do you consider defamatory and untrue to the Ukrainian nationalists in the 20s and 30s?
Already in 20's Polish press described Ukrainians as wild barbarians who whould kill people with axes and so on...There fore I am not suprised that even now you are using such rhetoric as "mass tortureres, mutilators ect..". Your description of UPA is exact continuation of such myths.
Well, some Ukrainians from UPA were indeed wild barbarians who would kill (and mutilate) people with axes.
These might be myths when taking all Ukrainians in account, but it was actually the truth when it comes to UPA.

BTW in many cases anti-Nazi Ukrainian neighbours acted similiarly to anti-Nazi Germas who rescured Jews, and they risked their lives in order to save Poles from UPA.
In many cases help of these Ukrainian brave men was the only possibility for Polish civilians, women and children to escape brutal death and mutilation at the hands of Nazis from UPA.

It is a sad thing that many Ukrainians decide to honor the genocidal criminals of UPA, instead of honoring those of their compatriots who have risked their lives in order to rescue innocent civilians from genocide.

M.

Askold

Post by Askold » 20 Dec 2005, 23:16

Manweru:
2. Only some of them were settlers- some were Poles living there for hundreds of years.
- You make it sound like only a handfull of Poles settled while in fact this was a mass movement. However, perhaps you're right and am wrong. Can you please provide me with stats for Polish population in 1918 and 1938 Volyn'?
Of course- but this is't the only reason.
- So if you agree that same reasoning that is applied to UPA can be applied to AK, than its a very weak reasoning. By this reasoning half of the world armies can be labled as Nazi armies.
1)UPA did the mass murder in a organised,planned, pre-meditated way, just like the Nazis did to Jews.
2)Like the Nazis deeds, the UPAs mass murder was done out of irrational pathological hate and chauvinism.
- So was it pre-planned or irrational? Also I am wondering, if you claim that UPA used axes and tortured and mutilated and ate babies all in blind hate, then how can they commit a mass murder?

An now for practical reasoning: Have you tried killing/mutilating people with the axe? (who needs bullets anyways?) It would take you weeks to get trough just one willage. If you claim it was a genoside that killed "tens thousands of people" - then either UPA had few million axes and torture chambers at hand or had help from Chrismass elves.
AKs actions, while a war crime, were direct revenge for death of Polish civilians, many of whom were the family members of the AK soldiers. We cannot make equalisation between somebody who commits a pre-meditated Nazi-like irrational hate inspired mass murder, with somebody who commits a mass murder because his own family members were tortured and murdered.
- So, you claim:
1. All AK actions started after UPA Volyn' masacre
2. All AK actions were purely for revenge.

In every country in the world, be it Poland, Ukraine or any other country, many people would seek revenge if something like that would be done to their family members,friends or neighbours, and it does't mean their Nazis.
- Once again, why are you repeating yourself? This photo was never proven to be from UPA actions. In fact, I don't even know what makes these poor children Polish to begin with.
- Yes, give me few days to look for it. I was reading some memuars, where the person states AK murders way before Volyn.
1. Ukrainians and OUN did collaborate with Germans, it is likely that AK executed some individuals for collaboration with Germans, but this is hardly something wrong,as long as they did't murder innocent civilians. AK as whole did conduct many (individual) Nazi-collaborator executions and it was in no way limited to Ukrainians- many Polish Nazi collaborators were shot by AK.
- I have no problems with AK murdering other Poles, but I don't see why AK should concern itself with Ukrainian individuals. Also, in this post you clearly contradict your earlier statement where you said AK actions were only a revenge for Volyn.
2. The "prominent Ukrainians" were also probably rabid anti-Polish Nazis like OUN/UPA members who commited the mass murders later. One can hardly blame AK for eliminating dangerous individuals of genocidal beliefs and intent.
- So AK knew they would become mass murderers later! Probaly owned a crystal ball or something. What you wrote is poor exuses for pre-planned attacks on Ukrainian civilians. Prominent members included people like proffessors, doctors and librarians. The truth is, AK murdered Ukrainian nationals, for the only reason that they were self-conscious Ukrainians and not Rusyns (like the Poles tried to make them).
Generally, I suspect that AK eliminated some rabid OUN Nazis and Nazi collaborators, but the Ukrainian side tried to make some kind of innocent martyrs out of these men.
- Assuming for a second that this was true, now you admit that it was AK who started the murder of civilians? Also, you realise that OUN was not collaborating with Germans after 1941. The reality is, that AK killed not alleged OUN-Nazi collaborators, but innocent civilians.

Quote:

Yes, it was so.
- So after all this, do you deny Ukrainians right for self defence from Polish persecution?

AFAIK Volyn was't especially densely populated and there was no big shortage of land. AFAIK Poland did give land to settlers, but the "took away from Ukrainians" is a post-OUN propaganda myth.
- Can you please prove me that Volyn was not densly populated and Poland did not take away land from Ukrainains? ( following your statement, I must assume the land was just lying around freely and nobody but Polish colonists wanted it?)

I actually have't said that I consider the murder of Ukrainians to be not-genocide. In fact I do think that was genocide too.
- So if you agree that Poles engated in genoside as well, then what was the purpose of your postes? Trying to prove how horrible the Ukrainians were considering you are no better (if not worse) yourself? Pathetic.

Still, there is difference in pre-meditated irrational Nazi-like crime with direct revenge and UPA deserves stronger condemnation.
- Having you agree that AK murders of Ukrainains began earlier, this makes your statement about some "revenge" completely false.

Yes, but hardly major ones. Even prominent OUN activists like Bandera or Lebed were't murdered but simply put to prison which they survived, so where was the great evil?
- Is there a difference betwen major genoside and not a major one? So little genosides can get by becuse they small and cute? Fact is, Interwar Poland engaged in Pacification action, which was a war crime. If anyone should seek revenge for decades of persecution, than it would be UPA.

Sure, but it is likely that the Great Famine was limited to the east because the SU wanted to avoid a international scandal. If it had control of all of Ukraine, the Great Famine would probably encompass more of it.
- But all Soviet Ukraine was under Bolshevic rule. Soviet Union didn't involved in international scandal in any case, because nobody cared for Ukrainians in the 30's.

Irrational justification of war criminals. Could you please explain how the Polish politics have actually *FORCED* UPA to do the torture and mass murders?
- Only if you can prove HOW can you mass murder people trough torture. Do I have to look up medieval torture books and tell you how long it takes to torture single person? Your story of torture is so-blown up you don't even realise that the quickets way to murder someone in 20th C. would be not with torture but with a bullet to a head. (and it would still be a waste of a bullet if this was done on mass scale).

- As for UPA actions agains Poles (which I don't deny) please read and re-read this:
Do you consider torture, mutilation and murder of pregnant women and children to be justified because....
- What else are you going to immagine? Perhaps UPA gave every Pole a Spanish boot and impaled them too? :)

The people who think that free speech limitation, church demolishion or political activist arrest are sufficient justification of ethnic-based mass murder of civilians, including children and pregnant women, are called "Nazis".
- What gave Poland the right to act in murder, persecution and church demolition in the first place? I am not convinced by your arguments of mass murder/torture, but if any killings of Poles happend, Poland in its shouvenism brought it up upon itself.
Unlike that what you might hear from Ukrainian nationalist propaganda, Poland was simply being gentle with Ukrainians, it did't utilise even a fraction of possible force against them.
- So if I understand you correctly, Pacification action was a way of Poland showing how gentle Ukrainians are treated? You poor missunderstanded heros!
Again, flawed Nazi-think. "The Poles have to blame only themselves"..."The Jews have to blame only themselves"
- So, you're saying UPA had no better reasons to kill the Poles? Just did it because they had nothing else to do?

So, in other words, you choose the Russian/Soviet way of denial and falsification.
BTW AK was't a murderous organisation because the mass murders were actions of local AK members who took personal revenge for deaths of their families, friends, neighbours. UPA's mass murder was pre-meditated organised action.
- I am not denying killing of Poles by UPA, but I deny your appologetic excuses regarding AK and Pacification. It was Poland who initiated the conflict, we just did a beter job at removing the Polish colonists from Volyn, then you trying to curb the Ukrainian nationalism.

Yes and no. There was some chauvinism, but most of actual hate erupted due to UPAs actions.
- So points #1-6 are just "some shauvinism"? If you look at them again, you'll see that most Polish attacks on Ukrainians began prior to Volyn.

Quote:

Which of these phrases do you consider defamatory and untrue to the Ukrainian nationalists in the 20s and 30s?
- If you read my posting correctly these terms were applied to ALL Ukrainians. No matter how much you are trying to deny it, there was mass persecution of Ukrainians in Interwar Poland. But they're only crime was that they refused to be polonized and wanted to live in free Ukraine.

It is a sad thing that many Ukrainians decide to honor the genocidal criminals of UPA, instead of honoring those of their compatriots who have risked their lives in order to rescue innocent civilians from genocide.
- Manweru, you failed to convince me how UPA were evil torturers of innocent Polish colonists. You also failed to convice me why Ukrainians should quietly suffered all the abuses from the Polish government.

Manweru

Post by Manweru » 21 Dec 2005, 00:59

- You make it sound like only a handfull of Poles settled while in fact this was a mass movement. However, perhaps you're right and am wrong. Can you please provide me with stats for Polish population in 1918 and 1938 Volyn'?
No, I can't. But it's obvious that some Poles must've lived there since the times of Pol-Lith Commonwealth.
- So if you agree that same reasoning that is applied to UPA can be applied to AK, than its a very weak reasoning. By this reasoning half of the world armies can be labled as Nazi armies.
Most armies of the world did not participate in mass murder of civilians with no real provocation like UPA did.
- So was it pre-planned or irrational? Also I am wondering, if you claim that UPA used axes and tortured and mutilated and ate babies all in blind hate, then how can they commit a mass murder?
There is no contradiction between planned murder and irrationality. Both the mass murder of Poles by UPA and Holocaust are good examples. Was it rational for the Nazis (or anybody else) to murder Jews just for being Jews? No. And yet they did
in a pre-planned fashion.
An now for practical reasoning: Have you tried killing/mutilating people with the axe? (who needs bullets anyways?) It would take you weeks to get trough just one willage. If you claim it was a genoside that killed "tens thousands of people" - then either UPA had few million axes and torture chambers at hand or had help from Chrismass elves.
I think you underestimate the effect of blade upon flesh.

- So, you claim:
1. All AK actions started after UPA Volyn' masacre
2. All AK actions were purely for revenge.
I claim that:

1. All AK actions of mass murder started after UPA Volyn' masacre
2. All AK actions of mass murder were purely for direct revenge.

- Once again, why are you repeating yourself? This photo was never proven to be from UPA actions. In fact, I don't even know what makes these poor children Polish to begin with.
Your "argument" reminds me of people who deny Holocaust by claiming it is all forgery.
- Yes, give me few days to look for it. I was reading some memuars, where the person states AK murders way before Volyn.

Did the memoirs mention if AK just went on random rampage, or perhaps was the "murdered" person a Nazi collaborator or nationalistic terrorist?
- I have no problems with AK murdering other Poles, but I don't see why AK should concern itself with Ukrainian individuals. Also, in this post you clearly contradict your earlier statement where you said AK actions were only a revenge for Volyn.
There is no contradiction because previously I meant mass murder and killing of innocent civilians.
AK, being the army of the legal Polish goverment-in-exile, had full legal rights to apply war-time justice to Nazi collaborators and terrorism promoters on the whole territory of pre-1939 Polish state and it did utilise this right to execute many people, for example Nazi collaborators of different nationalities- I suspect the families of executed Ukrainian collaborators did't accept that they were executed for being collaborators, and presented a false view that they were killed for being Ukrainians.
- So AK knew they would become mass murderers later! Probaly owned a crystal ball or something. What you wrote is poor exuses for pre-planned attacks on Ukrainian civilians. Prominent members included people like proffessors, doctors and librarians. The truth is, AK murdered Ukrainian nationals, for the only reason that they were self-conscious Ukrainians and not Rusyns (like the Poles tried to make them).
Actually, I suspect that the UPA members who later commited the mass murder of Polish civilians, did't develop rabid genocidal Nazi beliefs in one day just before they commited genocide- they must've been hate-filled much earlier, they have been already doing terrorist attacks before the war - AK did't know that they would become mass murderers later, but have a right to kill people who commited or prepared terrorist acts against AK and Poland- in that aspect, these people were combatants, not civilians.
- Assuming for a second that this was true, now you admit that it was AK who started the murder of civilians? Also, you realise that OUN was not collaborating with Germans after 1941. The reality is, that AK killed not alleged OUN-Nazi collaborators, but innocent civilians.
1. Some Ukrainians collaborated with Germans during the entire war, we cannot narrow it down to just OUN. Killing a Ukrainian Nazi collaborator is not killing a innocent civilian, and is hardly murder.
2. OUN was a fascist and terrorist organisation- effectively, it's members were not "innocent civilians", but members of terrorist organisation. "Civilians" can be truly applied only to those Poles and Ukrainians who did not belong to OUN,UPA or AK.
- So after all this, do you deny Ukrainians right for self defence from Polish persecution?
I don't deny Ukrainian right for self-defense. The problem is, mass murdering civilians is not self-defence.

Your argumentation here is classical example of Nazi apology: the Nazi apologist considers the act of mass murder "self-defense"- for example German Nazis considered the Holocaust a "self defense" against Jews and many Ukrainians delude themselves by trying to 'prove' that mass murder of civilians by UPA was somehow "self-defence".

Many anti-Polish actions of UPA were self-defense, for example fighting against armed Polish partisants (combatants) from AK- but murder of women and children was't!
- Can you please prove me that Volyn was not densly populated and Poland did not take away land from Ukrainains? ( following your statement, I must assume the land was just lying around freely and nobody but Polish colonists wanted it?)
Even today, Ukraine is much less densly populated than Poland and many other countries and it has lots of excess land.
- So if you agree that Poles engated in genoside as well, then what was the purpose of your postes? Trying to prove how horrible the Ukrainians were considering you are no better (if not worse) yourself? Pathetic.
Purpose of my posts: to inform and remind people that UPA was not just "a partisan organisation" but effectively a genocidal Nazi organisation similiar to the organisations of German Nazis.
- Is there a difference betwen major genoside and not a major one? So little genosides can get by becuse they small and cute? Fact is, Interwar Poland engaged in Pacification action, which was a war crime. If anyone should seek revenge for decades of persecution, than it would be UPA.
The persecution was not genocide, was not mass murder. The fate of prominent Ukrainian nationalist activists like Bandera or Lebed who were not murdered by only put to prison and survive, tells us two things:

1)The alleged "murders of Ukrainians" were unlikely- why would Poles kill other Ukrainians, but let Bandera and Lebed live?
Probably the "murders" were cases of armed resistance to arrest resulting in death, only later to be slanderously described by Ukrainian nationalists circles (who were no more honest than their German ideological counterparts) as "brutal murder of innocent Ukrainians".

2)Something is awfully wrong the Ukrainian nationalist image of pre-war Poland. How much was Poland brutal and evil, if the punishement for prominent Ukrainian nationalsts like Lebed or Bandera was simply jail? Especially in the case of Bandera who was a terrorist who had taken part of Polish minister - and yet, he was not executed, only put to jail. Do you really believe that if Bandera and Lebed were treated like that, than the fate of other Ukrainians was as terrible as Ukrainian nationalists claim?
- But all Soviet Ukraine was under Bolshevic rule. Soviet Union didn't involved in international scandal in any case, because nobody cared for Ukrainians in the 30's.
1)Doing the Great Famine close to borders of other countries carried bigger risk.
2) Actually, some countries did send observers to check the famine rumors- but Soviet cheated the observers.
- Only if you can prove HOW can you mass murder people trough torture. Do I have to look up medieval torture books and tell you how long it takes to torture single person? Your story of torture is so-blown up you don't even realise that the quickets way to murder someone in 20th C. would be not with torture but with a bullet to a head. (and it would still be a waste of a bullet if this was done on mass scale).
1. It is fully possible to inflict lots of suffering in short amount of time- most of UPA's tortures consisted of fast mutilation using bladed tools like axes and knives. Also, one can quickly cause lethal wounds which invariably kill the victim over longer period of time with lots of suffering and horror. (example: stomach wounds)

2. Even if you disbelieve torture, then please explain how the Polish politics have *FORCED* UPA to mass murder civilians.

[
Do you consider torture, mutilation and murder of pregnant women and children to be justified because....
- What else are you going to immagine? Perhaps UPA gave every Pole a Spanish boot and impaled them too? :)

Why do you smile when discussing things like mutilation and murder of the pregnant women and children?
- What gave Poland the right to act in murder, persecution and church demolition in the first place? I am not convinced by your arguments of mass murder/torture, but if any killings of Poles happend, Poland in its shouvenism brought it up upon itself.
1. Yes, both mass murder and torture happened [combined].
2. How did Poland *FORCE* UPA to do mass murder/torture of civilians? Did it actually force them to do it?
3. Which of Poland's actions exactly do you consider a sufficient reason to murder children or pregnant women?

This discussion is shocking to me- it reminds me of a usenet discussion I had long ago with a German neo-nazi, who explained to me how Germany was drawn into war and how the Jews murdered Germans, etc etc. I guess I will never understand, how neo-nazis, German or Ukrainian, can delude themselves into thinking that murdering civilians, women and children can be justified with their irrelevant reasons.
- So if I understand you correctly, Pacification action was a way of Poland showing how gentle Ukrainians are treated? You poor missunderstanded heros!
Why are you being sarcastic about it? Look closely: I have just shown you that the Ukrainian Neo-Nazi/Nationalist circles lie about Poland- they present image of some terrible opressiveness, while in fact Poland was using only a fraction of it's potential opressive power and it treated even convicted terrorists like Bandera in a civilised way.

I suspect that your sarcasm shown here is simply a proof of being unable to deal with the unconvinient truth- recalling my discussion with the German neo-nazi, I guess this is standart Nazi-sympathizer, genocide-apologist trait.
- So, you're saying UPA had no better reasons to kill the Poles? Just did it because they had nothing else to do?
If one would seek ANY reason to kill somebody or some ethnic group, then a "reason" would be found for murdering every single man or ethnic group on this planet.

The difference between a Nazi and a normal person is that the Nazi deludes himself and tries to prove that imaginary or irrelevant reasons are perfect justification for genocide.
For a normal person, small opressive things like limitation of free speech or church dismantling are no excuse for murdering women and children, while for a Nazi, it's perfect justification,for a Nazi it's a complete "they made our guys do it".
- I am not denying killing of Poles by UPA, but I deny your appologetic excuses regarding AK and Pacification. It was Poland who initiated the conflict, we just did a beter job at removing the Polish colonists from Volyn, then you trying to curb the Ukrainian nationalism.
1. As for AK, what AK has done was wrong, but that was revenge on the basis of "mass murder for mass murder", not something to be condoned, but something understandable for people who have lost their families. Many if not most people in the world would do the same if their families would get murdered.
2. UPA did murder the Poles with no relevant provocation- for normal people of the world, small opressive things which does not actually cause death, are no reason to murder women and children.
3. As for Pacification, it was not the conflict itself, it was a attempt to actually STOP the unrest and eventual bloodshed. If Poland would treat it as a real conflict with Ukrainians, it would act in a completely different manner.

- So points #1-6 are just "some shauvinism"? If you look at them again, you'll see that most Polish attacks on Ukrainians began prior to Volyn.
Yes, it was some chauvinism, but it was no pathological Nazi hate like the German Nazis had for Jews, or Ukrainian Nazis ("Nationalists" euphemically) for Poles.
Quote:

- If you read my posting correctly these terms were applied to ALL Ukrainians.
Sure, because small groups of extremist Ukrainian Nazis created a non-representative image of the whole nation in Polish eyes. The same happened later when Poles thought EVERY Ukrainian is like a Nazi war criminal from UPA.

Of course it was wrong- most Ukrainians were normal people who were free of pathological Nazi hate of other nationalities.
Still, one cannot really blame the Poles for mistaking the image created by the active Nazi minority for the full picture of Ukrainians.
But they're only crime was that they refused to be polonized and wanted to live in free Ukraine.
What about illegal gathering of arms, assaults and assasination of officials and preaching (Nazi) hate propaganda?
- Manweru, you failed to convince me how UPA were evil torturers of innocent Polish colonists.
About the UPA torture, I think the problem is that you WANT to disbelieve it. The views presented by you in this thread are classical Nazi apologist beliefs and it goes the same for your emotionally-driven denial of some facts about UPA.
From psychological point of view, you cannot and perhaps even should not admit to yourself that UPA was a genocidal Nazi organisation and that you are in fact a Nazi sympathizer, because that would probably mean breaking of your core ideological/political beliefs and the feeling of identification with a cause you FEEL to be right.
This is the case with all Nazi sympathizers- it's not that they did not get enough proof about the guilt of their 'idols', it's simply that they are too much attached emotionally to them to even consider aproaching the matter in a honest manner.

You will probably never believe the truth, just as some Germans who to emotionally attached to German Nazi vision of history, who will never believe that Holocaust was evil and that the Nazis were simply filled with pathological irrational hate for other people.
You also failed to convice me why Ukrainians should quietly suffered all the abuses from the Polish government.
[/quote]

Askold, I never said they should suffer the abuse quietly. But they should stick to fighting Polish officials and soldiers, not murdering women and children.

M.

Askold

Post by Askold » 21 Dec 2005, 10:06

Manweru:

I will continue on the topic in a bit, but here's answer to just one point:
3. As for Pacification, it was not the conflict itself, it was a attempt to actually STOP the unrest and eventual bloodshed. If Poland would treat it as a real conflict with Ukrainians, it would act in a completely different manner.

Between World Wars (1918-1939)

The war between Austria and Russia, started on August 1, 1914, resulted in horrible destruction over the next four years. Galician Ukrainians declared independence as the 'Western Ukrainian Republic on November 1, 1918. Poland countered by sending its troops across the borders of Galicia and capturing it within one year. The cease-fire resulted in the Council of Foreign Ministers in Paris awarding Galicia, Cholm, and other Ukrainian territories to Poland on March 15, 1923. This was done with the understanding that Poland would, in time, grant autonomy to these territories.
Thus, Poland's area was enlarged by 120,000 square kilometers and her population increased by 6.5 million.
The Ukrainians knew then, what the rest of the world learned later, that Poland never intended to allow these lands to become independent. On the contrary, Poland used repression and terror as a means of halting the economic and political development of these lands and of subjugating the Ukrainian population. When the pressures and protests of Ukrainian political parties brought no results, underground movements aimed at advancing the interests of the Ukrainian population began to grow. This, in turn, resulted in mass arrests of national and civic leaders, and in punitive raids on the population by Polish police and armed forces. It must be said that Poland was first to establish "Concentration Camps", and that Ukrainians were the first inmates of such a camp at Bereza Kartuska in 1933.The school system also suffered because many of the Ukrainian schools were closed, some were changed to Polish instruction, and the rest were altered to bilingual instruction. Difficulties were encountered in institutions of higher education. For example, 90% of students admitted to University were Polish - this in a territory where the majority of the population was Ukrainian.
Realizing that much of the Ukrainian resistance to assimilation was due to their church and religion, the Polish government decided to check this effect. Statistics show that in the Cholm Eparchy, there were 383 parish churches. By the year 1939:
- 111 of them were closed;
- 59 others were destroyed;
- 150 were turned into kostely;
- 53 remained to serve the population.

Second World War up to Present (1940-1986)

The lawlessness encountered during the movement of the front lines presented an opportunity for the criminal elements to flourish. The Polish criminal element, expecting the return of a Polish State, felt supreme and perpetrated vicious deeds on the Ukrainian population. To cite an example, as early as March 23, 1944, a Polish band murdered 120 inhabitants in the village of Lisky, north of Belz. Eighty-six of these are interred in a communal grave near the church while the rest are buried in family plots in the cemetery. Such happenings were typical in areas where Ukrainians were in the minority.
http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/chirpolbackg.html

- Tell me Manweru, were those 383 parishes suppposed to be rabid Ukrainian nationalists? The poor villagers murdered way before Volyn - were they a cause for "unrest"? The actions of Polish state were not beter than actions of the Nazis.

Manweru

Post by Manweru » 21 Dec 2005, 10:50

Askold wrote: It must be said that Poland was first to establish "Concentration Camps", and that Ukrainians were the first inmates of such a camp at Bereza Kartuska in 1933.
A common propaganda lie of Ukrainian nationalists. Bereza Katruska was not a concentration camp but a prison for dangerous political prisoners.

Officially it was for people who: "których dzia?alno?? lub post?powanie daje podstaw? do przypuszczenia, ?e grozi z ich strony naruszenie bezpiecze?stwa, spokoju, lub porz?dku publicznego". Translation: "whose activity or deeds gives basis to assumption that from their side there is danger to safety, peace and public order"

In Bereza Katruska, many prisoners were Ukrainian Nazis(euphemically: nationalists) , but many were also Polish Nazis (euph: nationalists) like Boleslaw Piasecki, some were also Polish leftists from Polish Socialist Party. In no way it was concentration camp for Ukrainians, it was a political prison for dangerous political extremists.
The school system also suffered because many of the Ukrainian schools were closed, some were changed to Polish instruction, and the rest were altered to bilingual instruction. Difficulties were encountered in institutions of higher education. For example, 90% of students admitted to University were Polish - this in a territory where the majority of the population was Ukrainian.
Realizing that much of the Ukrainian resistance to assimilation was due to their church and religion, the Polish government decided to check this effect. Statistics show that in the Cholm Eparchy, there were 383 parish churches. By the year 1939:
- 111 of them were closed;
- 59 others were destroyed;
- 150 were turned into kostely;
- 53 remained to serve the population.
Yes, education limitations and church destruction indeed did happen.
- Tell me Manweru, were those 383 parishes suppposed to be rabid Ukrainian nationalists?
No, it was the chauvinistic opression we previously talked about. Of course, destruction of churches is nowhere near mass murder.
The lawlessness encountered during the movement of the front lines presented an opportunity for the criminal elements to flourish. The Polish criminal element, expecting the return of a Polish State, felt supreme and perpetrated vicious deeds on the Ukrainian population. To cite an example, as early as March 23, 1944, a Polish band murdered 120 inhabitants in the village of Lisky, north of Belz. Eighty-six of these are interred in a communal grave near the church while the rest are buried in family plots in the cemetery. Such happenings were typical in areas where Ukrainians were in the minority.[/i]http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/chirpolbackg.html

The poor villagers murdered way before Volyn - were they a cause for "unrest"? The actions of Polish state were not beter than actions of the Nazis.
Askold, the massacres of Poles in Volyn by UPA started in 1943, so this act of mass murder from 1944 is hardly "way before Volyn".

M.
Last edited by Manweru on 21 Dec 2005, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Askold

Post by Askold » 22 Dec 2005, 00:56

Manweru:
Can you please provide me with stats for Polish population in 1918 and 1938 Volyn'?

No, I can't. But it's obvious that some Poles must've lived there since the times of Pol-Lith Commonwealth.
- I asked you not wheather Poles lived in Volyn, but for percentage of population Poles make out in that heavily Orthodox region.

Most armies of the world did not participate in mass murder of civilians with no real provocation like UPA did.
- Poland did.

There is no contradiction between planned murder and irrationality. Both the mass murder of Poles by UPA and Holocaust are good examples. Was it rational for the Nazis (or anybody else) to murder Jews just for being Jews? No. And yet they did
- So it looks like UPA rationally planned to kill Poles in irrational manner :)
I think you underestimate the effect of blade upon flesh.
- I think you don't understand that beheading is a time consuming process.

I claim that:

- Well then you contradict yourslef. In previous post you don't deny AK actions against Ukrainains before Volyn.

- Yes, but when photo appeard in 60's, how did people knew about to "seek revenge" in the first place?

Your "argument" reminds me of people who deny Holocaust by claiming it is all forgery.
- You cannot provide me with a contradicting argument. Instead you label me as a Nazi.

Quote:

I suspect the families of executed Ukrainian collaborators did't accept that they were executed for being collaborators, and presented a false view that they were killed for being Ukrainians.

- So acording to you everyone that was killed by AK must have been a Nazi collaborator? I don't think you see any difference between self-conscious Ukrainians and Nazi collaboratos.
Actually, I suspect that the UPA members who later commited the mass murder of Polish civilians, did't develop rabid genocidal Nazi beliefs in one day just before they commited genocide- they must've been hate-filled much earlier,
- So your whole argument is purely based on your suspision? AK murdered Ukrainians, and it was OK, because you suspect that all of them were Nazi collaborators anyway?
they have been already doing terrorist attacks before the war - AK did't know that they would become mass murderers later, but have a right to kill people who commited or prepared terrorist acts against AK and Poland- in that aspect, these people were combatants, not civilians.
- Assuming for a second that all those priests and librarians were terrorists and would be Nazi-sympathizers, this clearly shows that AK was the first one to wage hostilities.

I don't deny Ukrainian right for self-defense. The problem is, mass murdering civilians is not self-defence.
- Considering that you see all self-consious Ukrainians as Nazi-collaborators, I will use this forumla to assume all self-conscious Poles were pro-Polish (pro-AK) supporters and deserved the rightfull punishment.

Many anti-Polish actions of UPA were self-defense, for example fighting against armed Polish partisants (combatants) from AK- but murder of women and children was't!
- So when AK murdered the families of "collaborators" - then its OK to kill women and children?
Even today, Ukraine is much less densly populated than Poland and many other countries and it has lots of excess land.
- You cannot take modern assumption and apply to 1930 demographics. Either you provide me with correct statistics for Poles in Volyn (to support your theory that there wasn't much colonists) or admit the fact that there was a mass colonisation to this historically Ukrainian/orthodox region.

Purpose of my posts: to inform and remind people that UPA was not just "a partisan organisation" but effectively a genocidal Nazi organisation similiar to the organisations of German Nazis.
- So far you did not confince me that a. UPA were nazi collaborators, b. Were Nazi in essence. In fact the more I do research in this topic, the more I become convinced that Interwar Poland was a little Nazi state on its own.

The persecution was not genocide, was not mass murder. The fate of prominent Ukrainian nationalist activists like Bandera or Lebed who were not murdered by only put to prison and survive, tells us two things:
- Are you purposely avoiding the fact of burned Ukrainian villages and destroyed churches?

2)Something is awfully wrong the Ukrainian nationalist image of pre-war Poland. How much was Poland brutal and evil, if the punishement for prominent Ukrainian nationalsts like Lebed or Bandera was simply jail? Especially in the case of Bandera who was a terrorist who had taken part of Polish minister - and yet, he was not executed, only put to jail. Do you really believe that if Bandera and Lebed were treated like that, than the fate of other Ukrainians was as terrible as Ukrainian nationalists claim?
- Because Polish authorities could not prove anything and lacked vitnesses. However they did arest number of people, often for just speaking Ukrainian.

1. It is fully possible to inflict lots of suffering in short amount of time- most of UPA's tortures consisted of fast mutilation using bladed tools like axes and knives. Also, one can quickly cause lethal wounds which invariably kill the victim over longer period of time with lots of suffering and horror. (example: stomach wounds)
- So you know exactly how it happend! Everyone lined up to be quickly chopped with an axe (in the stomach)
- What else are you going to immagine? Perhaps UPA gave every Pole a Spanish boot and impaled them too?

Why do you smile when discussing things like mutilation and murder of the pregnant women and children?
- Because it amuses me how with each post you add new horror features. So now UPA mutilated pregnant women? (with a quick stab in a stomach with an axe).

2. How did Poland *FORCE* UPA to do mass murder/torture of civilians? Did it actually force them to do it?
- You realise you are actually bouncing my OWN QUESTION for ME to answer? Please tell me again - What gave Poland the right to shamlessly act the way it did?

This discussion is shocking to me- it reminds me of a usenet discussion I had long ago with a German neo-nazi, who explained to me how Germany was drawn into war and how the Jews murdered Germans, etc etc. I guess I will never understand, how neo-nazis, German or Ukrainian, can delude themselves into thinking that murdering civilians, women and children can be justified with their irrelevant reasons.

- Keep your offences to yourself. I am not labeling you, but I demand that you answer for the actions of your own government.

Why are you being sarcastic about it? Look closely: I have just shown you that the Ukrainian Neo-Nazi/Nationalist circles lie about Poland- they present image of some terrible opressiveness, while in fact Poland was using only a fraction of it's potential opressive power and it treated even convicted terrorists like Bandera in a civilised way.
- So 300 destroyed churches in just one region are all lies? Damm Nazi propaganda!

If one would seek ANY reason to kill somebody or some ethnic group, then a "reason" would be found for murdering every single man or ethnic group on this planet.
- I have no idea what you just said, so I'll reapeat myself again: "Do you think then, that UPA had no reasons at all to fight with Poles"?
- I clearly proven to you that Pacification was nothing like what you described. Burning churches is does not prevent unrest, it adds to it. Poland with its idiotic actions provoked the dislike for the regime among the Ukrainians.

Yes, it was some chauvinism, but it was no pathological Nazi hate like the German Nazis had for Jews, or Ukrainian Nazis ("Nationalists" euphemically) for Poles.
- So church burning is not a pathological hate, but "some shouvenism"?

Of course it was wrong- most Ukrainians were normal people who were free of pathological Nazi hate of other nationalities.
Still, one cannot really blame the Poles for mistaking the image created by the active Nazi minority for the full picture of Ukrainians.

What about illegal gathering of arms, assaults and assasination of officials and preaching (Nazi) hate propaganda?
- Preaching Nazi propaganda? This is even more amusing :) How else are you supposed to take action if not gather arms ect...?
Askold, I never said they should suffer the abuse quietly. But they should stick to fighting Polish officials and soldiers, not murdering women and children.
- And yet, you also said "
What about illegal gathering of arms, assaults and assasination of officials and preaching (Nazi) hate propaganda?"[/quote]. YOu see, you lable Ukrainians as terrorists in any case, weather they fight with the Polish government or not.

About the UPA torture, I think the problem is that you WANT to disbelieve it. The views presented by you in this thread are classical Nazi apologist beliefs and it goes the same for your emotionally-driven denial of some facts about UPA.
[/quote]

Let me summarise this pointless discussion in few lines:

1. You cannot provide me with Volynia stats.
2. You cannot understand that such things as Pocification action will not make Ukrainians like Poles.
3. You admit to AK starting the hostilities agains Ukrainians.
4. You agree Ukrainians have the right to self-defence, and yet, you call them terrorists for doing so.

I find it a waste of time to try to convince you of anything else. This conversation is over on my behalf.

Manweru

Post by Manweru » 22 Dec 2005, 02:20

- I asked you not wheather Poles lived in Volyn, but for percentage of population Poles make out in that heavily Orthodox region.
About 15-20% if I recall correctly, with 60% of Ukrainians.

- Poland did.
Really? When? (remember about the with no real provocation condition)
- So it looks like UPA rationally planned to kill Poles in irrational manner :)
Why are you coming back to this after I have already explained this?
Irrational hate does not excluse planned mass murder. Best example is Holocaust: planned murder of Jews out of irrational hate. Same with UPA's planned murder of Poles out of irrational hate.
I claim that:

- Well then you contradict yourslef. In previous post you don't deny AK actions against Ukrainains before Volyn.
Read more carefully. "all AK actions of mass murder(...)" I don't deny executions of individuals, but there was no mass executions of innocent people - UPA has started that.

- Yes, but when photo appeard in 60's, how did people knew about to "seek revenge" in the first place?
1. Material evidence - mutilated bodies and burned villages.
2. Survivors
3. Information from captives.

- You cannot provide me with a contradicting argument. Instead you label me as a Nazi.
I label you a Nazi because you show classical Nazi views, including baseless denial. Everything what you have said here have been already said by German Nazis about the Holocaust.

- So acording to you everyone that was killed by AK must have been a Nazi collaborator? I don't think you see any difference between self-conscious Ukrainians and Nazi collaboratos.
No, not everyone killed by AK must have been a Nazi collaborator, but he was likely to be one, since AK generally executed Nazi collaborators. In the case of complicated Polish-Ukrainian relations, few executed Ukrainian Nazi collaborators could easily lead to a false rumor of "AK murdering Ukrainians [basing on criteria of nationality]".
Actually, I suspect that the UPA members who later commited the mass murder of Polish civilians, did't develop rabid genocidal Nazi beliefs in one day just before they commited genocide- they must've been hate-filled much earlier,
- So your whole argument is purely based on your suspision? AK murdered Ukrainians, and it was OK, because you suspect that all of them were Nazi collaborators anyway?
Well, I cannot prove that they were [German] Nazi-collaborators or Ukrainian Nazi terrorists, or both,but at the same time you cannot prove that they were innocent people.

Given the proven existence of Nazi collaborators and Ukrainian Nazi extremists among Ukrainians, it seems logical to assume that these collaborators and extremists would be high priority targets and if AK would murder somebody it would murder them first, before some innocent "random Ukrainians".
they have been already doing terrorist attacks before the war - AK did't know that they would become mass murderers later, but have a right to kill people who commited or prepared terrorist acts against AK and Poland- in that aspect, these people were combatants, not civilians.
- Assuming for a second that all those priests and librarians were terrorists and would be Nazi-sympathizers, this clearly shows that AK was the first one to wage hostilities.
It is known that many Ukrainian OUN nationalists collaborated with the German Nazis long before WWII and they continued to do it untill 1941 or so. It is the OUN nationalists who made themselves valid targets for execution by becoming agents and allies of Nazi Germany.
- Considering that you see all self-consious Ukrainians as Nazi-collaborators, I will use this forumla to assume all self-conscious Poles were pro-Polish (pro-AK) supporters and deserved the rightfull punishment.
I do not consider "all self-conscious Ukrainains" as Nazi-collaborators- but the fact is, many OUN activists were Nazi collaborators, many of them were also terrorists.
- So when AK murdered the families of "collaborators" - then its OK to kill women and children?
No, it's not ok. That was bloody revenge that has unfortunately touched many innocent people.
- You cannot take modern assumption and apply to 1930 demographics. Either you provide me with correct statistics for Poles in Volyn (to support your theory that there wasn't much colonists) or admit the fact that there was a mass colonisation to this historically Ukrainian/orthodox region.
I don't have the Volyn demographics prepared- do you have them?

- So far you did not confince me that a. UPA were nazi collaborators, b. Were Nazi in essence. In fact the more I do research in this topic, the more I become convinced that Interwar Poland was a little Nazi state on its own.
As I have said, it is impossible to convince you, just as it is impossible to convince a German neo-Nazi that no, Jews did not deserve to die and that Germans Nazis were psychotic criminals. It has been already observed that when confronted with data, people of extremist (in this case [neo]Nazi) beliefs reject the data and bury deeper into their extremism.

- Are you purposely avoiding the fact of burned Ukrainian villages and destroyed churches?
No, I simply find it odd that you do not notice that you cannot accuse interwar Poland of anything worser than moderate opression like education limitations and destruction of property. It hardly matches the slanderous image of inter war Poland spread by Ukrainian (Nazi)Nationalists.
- Because Polish authorities could not prove anything and lacked vitnesses. However they did arest number of people, often for just speaking Ukrainian.
Perhaps they did, but still, all the crimes you can accuse inter war Poland of, seem to be somehow lacking in true cruelty, don't you think?
- So you know exactly how it happend! Everyone lined up to be quickly chopped with an axe (in the stomach)
Well, I know from descriptions, I gave you one example of how it COULD be done and you start to make sarcastic comments.
- What else are you going to immagine? Perhaps UPA gave every Pole a Spanish boot and impaled them too?

- Because it amuses me how with each post you add new horror features. So now UPA mutilated pregnant women? (with a quick stab in a stomach with an axe).
Perhaps it amuses you, because that is your method of dis-associating with these deeds and avoiding the question of your true political identity defined by the identity of people you obviously consider heroes. I can assure you that people without neo-nazi beliefs do not find such things funny at all.

- You realise you are actually bouncing my OWN QUESTION for ME to answer? Please tell me again - What gave Poland the right to shamlessly act the way it did?
Ok... Poland should't act the way it did (in the interwar period) and that was wrong.

But still, what Poland did, while wrong, was hardly of the same caliber as mass murder of civilians.

- Keep your offences to yourself. I am not labeling you, but I demand that you answer for the actions of your own government.
Askold, this is no offence at all, it is accurate description of your beliefs presented in this thread.
- So 300 destroyed churches in just one region are all lies? Damm Nazi propaganda!
No, not lies, but destruction of property is hardly some kind of huge crime. Treatment of Ukrainians was sometimes opressive, but in many cases surprisingly gentle like in the case of Bandera or Lebed.
- I have no idea what you just said, so I'll reapeat myself again: "Do you think then, that UPA had no reasons at all to fight with Poles"?
I think it had many reasons and full right to fight ARMED Polish forces (like AK or LWP) or Polish officials, but no excuse or justification for murdering Polish civilians, women and chilrden.

About what I said above you did't understand, I meant this: Ukrainians had many reasons to hate Poles, and also many reasons to hate other nations (Russians, Germans, and others). But the same goes for every other nation on this planet - every nation has got some reasons to hate other nations because of one kind of suffered wrongs or another.

But it does't entitle anybody the right to murder the civilians, women and children of the other nation- that is the difference between mentality of normal person and mentality of a Nazi person- the Nazi person takes any kind of wrong or suffered injustice and he thinks it is total and perfect justification for genocide of the other nation.
- I clearly proven to you that Pacification was nothing like what you described. Burning churches is does not prevent unrest, it adds to it. Poland with its idiotic actions provoked the dislike for the regime among the Ukrainians.
Yes, Poland was mistaken to try to put down unrest by burning churches, but it was a attempt to put down the conflict without bloodshed, even if it failed.

- So church burning is not a pathological hate, but "some shouvenism"?
Yes. "Pathological hate" is burning people inside together with the church, as sometimes UPA did. Compared to that, burning the empty church without the people inside is "some chauvinism".

- Preaching Nazi propaganda? This is even more amusing :) How else are you supposed to take action if not gather arms ect...?
By speaking about gathering of arms, I do not mean to say that Ukrainians did something morally wrong- they had the right to defend. But at the same time, Poland had the right to defend itself from Ukrainian terrorists and effectively, these weapon-gathering Ukrainians cannot be considered innocent victims if one of them got killed.
- And yet, you also said "
What about illegal gathering of arms, assaults and assasination of officials and preaching (Nazi) hate propaganda?"[/quote]. YOu see, you lable Ukrainians as terrorists in any case, weather they fight with the Polish government or not.
The "terrorism" I describe here was for the terrorism of kind similiar to present day bomb attacks on US soldiers in Iraq and also consisted of assasination of officials like the Polish security minister. Essentially, "terrorists" was not meant to be used here as any kind of moral qualifier, but simply in terms of "combatant without uniform", IE I don't think it was something morally wrong, but something which made these Ukrainians combatants, not innocent civilians.
Let me summarise this pointless discussion in few lines:

1. You cannot provide me with Volynia stats.
2. You cannot understand that such things as Pocification action will not make Ukrainians like Poles.
3. You admit to AK starting the hostilities agains Ukrainians.
4. You agree Ukrainians have the right to self-defence, and yet, you call them terrorists for doing so.

I find it a waste of time to try to convince you of anything else. This conversation is over on my behalf.
[/quote]

1. You are unable to face what I write, so you react in a childish way misreading and misinterpreting the things I write,being unable to face my arguments directly, you try to escape using counter-questions and sarcasm instead of confronting what I write.
2. You are unable to condemn mass murder of civilians, women and children by UPA, and claim it was fault of Poles. German Nazis claim the same about Jews, that it was "their own fault, those dirty Jews".
3. You put up imaginary or relatively irrelevant (compared to genocide) wrongs suffered by Ukrainians at the hands of Poles and claim that it justifies UPA's genocide of Poles. The same faulty argumentation was used by German Nazis in case of the Jews- imaginary or irrelevant facts to back-rationalise pathological hate incomprehensible to a normal,non-Nazi person.
4. You cannot admit the fact that your views are classical neo-Nazi/neo-apologist views and you are unable to notice that every thing which you have said have been already said by German Nazis and Holocaust deniers in accordance to the Holocaust- even your arguments are similiar.

If you think the debate is over, then you are perhaps correct- and I must thank you, for you have left me enough of neo-Nazi material in this thread, so that if we will have another topic about Ukrainian Nazi or neo-Nazi groups, I will use your posts from this subject as a example of how Nazi beliefs were not limited to German Nazis alone and to show the similarities between Germand and Ukrainian (neo)Nazi beliefs and way of thinking.

Despite the enmity in this thread, I sincerely wish you a good life and that one day, the dark veil of Nazi propaganda will fall away from your eyes and heart. Good luck.

M.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”