Gurrehus, Denmark

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
stril

Gurrehus, Denmark

Post by stril » 05 Apr 2006, 18:20

Hello
Anyone having information about Gurrehus in Denmark ?
It was the property of Prince Georg of Greece, and was to be used as a resthome for those being in the resistance, active soldiers, and others who had suffer in the war.
Those being in the resistance are specially mentioned.
Any info on this resthome to be found ?
regards
stril

mugge333

Post by mugge333 » 05 Apr 2006, 20:03

Hey Stril.

I found this description of Gurrehus on the web. I'm not sure that it's the place you were talking about, but it probably is. That the Red Cross owned the place after the war for a period of time, it's not unlikely that it was thought as a resthome. But further on it came into the possesion of the danish military.
4.7 Gurrehus’ og egnens historie.
Selve bygningen Gurrehus har også sin spændende historie, som naturligvis bedst kan fortælles i selve bygningen via skiftende særudstillinger og tilhørende aktiviteter.

Gurrehus har sine rødder tilbage til 1500-tallet, da selve slottet blev af løst af en ladegård kaldet Gurre Vangehus og natstalden, der lå nogenlunde hvor Gurrehus nu ligger.
Omkring 1720 ændres navnet til ”Gurrehus” og var sæde for skovrideren til 1774, hvor Kongen stadig ejede ejendommen. Fra 1774 har en række forskellige ejere, hver med sin spændende historie, ejet Gurrehus. Frederik Tutein overtog ejendommen i 1880 og opførte det nye Gurrehus i hollandsk renæssance. Da Prins Georg af Grækenland overtog ejendommen i 1914 blev bygningen udvidet og ombygget. Seneste ændring skete omkring 1966, da forsvaret føjede en uheldig tilbygning til hovedbygningen. Under Anden Verdenskrig holdt tyskerne til på Gurrehus og efter krigen Røde Kors og senere indrettede Forsvarsministeriet kursusejendom på ejendommen.

Alle disse historier – sket i selve området - skal naturligvis formidles og indgå i et aktivt undervisningsforløb, ligesom historierne om landsbyen, skovene og omegnen naturligt kan indgå heri.

Hovedbygningen på Gurrehus samt staldbygningen er så rummelig, at man bør overveje, om det er her, Nationalparkens Sekretariat med fordel kan placeres.
Ligeledes vil det være et oplagt sted at vise ­-og skabe overblik- over Nordsjællands historiske borge og slotte. I Gurrehus kan der således opstilles modeller af Gurre Slot, Asserbo Slot, Søborg Slot, Frederiksborg Slot, Fredensborg slot, Kronborg Slot.
This quote is from this homepage: http://www.egebaekken.dk/harkiv/gurrena ... alpark.doc

I hope it answered some of your questions.

Regards,
Martin, Denmark

stril

Post by stril » 06 Apr 2006, 11:07

Hello
Thank you for your answer.
Your info is interesting, but so far i have just found info that it was each countries Red Cross that picked the men going there. I have not been able to find info telling something about the place, or how long it was used for this purpose.
Your link is quite useful, so my next step is to contact them directly.
If they come up with more info ill post it here.
regards
stril

mugge333

Post by mugge333 » 07 Apr 2006, 11:40

Hey Stril.

I'm glad the link was useful to you.

Please do share if you find something new.

Regards,

Martin, Danmark.

mistergray1

Re: Gurrehus, Denmark

Post by mistergray1 » 20 Oct 2009, 13:05

Gurrehus is about to be convertet into flats. Construction has apparently just started since contractors have begun doing some work at he place just recently.

There's a book, written in danish, about Gurrehus. Published in 1992, written by Stephen Ditlevsen.
DSC_8202-01.jpg
DSC_8202-01.jpg (247.57 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
This is how it looked around 100 years ago:
DSC_8208-01.jpg
DSC_8208-01.jpg (198.85 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
And this is how it looked in january 2009 (sorry for the dramatic look, I was in creative mode)
g1.jpg
g1.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
More to come.

mistergray1

Post by mistergray1 » 20 Oct 2009, 13:10

Garden Hall
DSC_8206-01.jpg
DSC_8206-01.jpg (205.48 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Garden Hall january 2009 (different angle):
havesal.jpg
havesal.jpg (69.77 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
More to come.

mistergray1

Post by mistergray1 » 20 Oct 2009, 13:23

Dining room 1946:
DSC_8210-01.jpg
DSC_8210-01.jpg (169.12 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Dining room 2009:
spisestue.jpg
spisestue.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
After Red Cross the army used Gurrehus as an education center. They build a hidious looking hotel, as a connected sidebuilding, to accommodate whoever was there for their education. The hotel will be demolished. You can see the hotel to the left of Gurrehus on the first picture in my first post.

A little funny story, one of my colleagues actually worked in the kitchen some years ago. I asked her for interesting gossip, but she couldn't tell anything. The army is very hush-hush....

The last picture is me inside. The sign I'm carrying says: Army educational center - no trespassing

Wooops.... sorry :lol:
mig.jpg
mig.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 2336 times

HildeVivijs

Post by HildeVivijs » 14 Jun 2010, 22:24

Hi,
After the liberation (2nd world war), my father (survived 4 years of concentration camps) recovered after the war in the Gurrehus in Gurre in Denmark at the invitation of the Danish Red Cross.
He believes that he is on the picture of the dining room in 1946.
Could someone let us know who has been taking this picture and which people are on this picture ?
Is there more info to be found of the recovery period in the Gurrehus after the war? Which people have recovered there? Where were they coming from ?

I would appreciate to receive all info or pictures there is on that period after the war.

Regards,
Hilde

mistergray1

Post by mistergray1 » 15 Jun 2010, 20:35

HildeVivijs wrote:Hi,
After the liberation (2nd world war), my father (survived 4 years of concentration camps) recovered after the war in the Gurrehus in Gurre in Denmark at the invitation of the Danish Red Cross.
He believes that he is on the picture of the dining room in 1946.
Could someone let us know who has been taking this picture and which people are on this picture ?
Is there more info to be found of the recovery period in the Gurrehus after the war? Which people have recovered there? Where were they coming from ?

I would appreciate to receive all info or pictures there is on that period after the war.

Regards,
Hilde
The danish book about Gurrehus does not reveal any of the info you ask for, unfortunately.

I've googled in danish but did not find any info. Sorry.

Regards.

Henning.

HildeVivijs

Post by HildeVivijs » 21 Jun 2015, 22:43

Re : Picture of the dining room in 1946 by the Danish Red Cross of people (Belgians, Dutch, French, Danish) recovering from the Nazi-camps in WW2

Hello
Anyone having information about Gurrehus in Denmark ?
It was the property of Prince Georg of Greece, and was used after WW2 as a resthome for those being in the resistance, active soldiers, and others who had survived the Nazi-camps in the war.
Those being in the resistance are specially mentioned.
Any info on this resthome to be found ?

Could someone let meknow who has been taking this picture and which people are on this picture ?

I would appreciate to receive all info or pictures there is on that period after the war in the Gürrehus.

Regards,
Hilde

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”