Alpini OOB to Company level

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Kent72903

Re: Alpini OOB to Company level

Post by Kent72903 » 24 Mar 2015, 07:50

Thanks for the response Dili

Are you aware of any internet sources in Italian that might help me fit in some of the missing Company numbers? I am occasionally finding so personal blogs, diaries, etc. but Google has trouble digging them out.

Most of what I am finding on Wiki is incomplete or inaccurate.

Dili

Post by Dili » 26 Mar 2015, 07:07

I think your best bet is Italian alpini foruns and militaria foruns.

Here is an Alpini site with a list of Battalions:
http://www.vecio.it/cms/index.php/repar ... attaglioni

If you go to Regiments several have the Battalions with companies listed - cp is abreviation for company.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 20 May 2015, 17:50

Kent

From looking through what you have posted, you are mixing 1GM and 2GM organizations. The composition of some of the battalions did change over time. Some of the units you listed weren't mobilized and are merely paper organizations.

What is your main source of your info?

My go-to site for battaglioni/compagni info is archivio di Giuseppe Martelli.

Reggimentale info is http://www.noialpini.it/reggimenti_alpini1.htm

Battaglioni info is http://www.noialpini.it/btg_alpini_1.htm

There are a few other things in your list that don't make sense. First I need to do a little checking before I can say more.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Kent72903

Post by Kent72903 » 28 May 2015, 08:36

Thanks to jwsleser!

Those two links was exactly the type of info that I was looking for. And you were right the 1st and 2nd General Mobilization stuff was intermingled.

My planned approach was to develop a list of companies and then determine when they were mobilized , for how long and which higher level organizations they belonged to along the way.

The info in the links still had question marks for some of the same Battalions for which I am missing information. Most of these are for the period covering the 2nd GM.

I also noticed that the heavy weapons companies added when the Alpine divisions went to Russia are not listed.

I've also run across references to separate companies such as the 522nd MG company which was reportedly part of the 4th Alpine Group in 1940 and

http://www.militarystory.org/il-regio-esercito-nel-1943
references to Alpine garrison Battalions (but no further identification) they may have been associated with the 20th Alpine Group and 324 ^ Company garrison Alpini which may have been deployed near the border with Yugoslavia.

So I can still use some help, sources in Italian are okay because the translators do provide a readable copy even if the grammar, sentence structure, and so word translations are a bit rough.

Thanks again for the help!

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 29 May 2015, 20:58

Kent

This should answer your questions about the compagnia armi accompagnamenti in Russia.

http://www.plini-alpini.net/CAAlp_russia_tab.pdf

GM is guerra mondiale (world war). I will check on 1943 data this weekend. Your link of the Sep 43 OB has some errors in it.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Kent72903

Post by Kent72903 » 01 Jul 2015, 10:20

The fact that there are errors doesn't surprise me. As I am running across conflicting information. I do believe that insofar as the regular, valle and Monte battagliones I've finally gotten a handle on then. The Complements battalions are another story entirely. The seen to come and go. The will have three companies assigned get dissolved and then the following month get reconstituted with different company assignments. While primarily a source of replacements for the line battalions, their are numerous accounts of the battalion complements being used as a separate maneuver battalion. I've also run across references to at least seven Alpini Presidio Compangnia (322,323,324,326.328,329,343) which appear to be affiliated with various Alpini regiments. Just what the relationship was is unclear. The Bulk of the listed companies appear to have been deployed in Albania and Yugoslavia, although some are still listed in the 1943 00B for the Royal army.

I also can't seem to edit my previous posts and correct the errors.

When the Alpine divisions were deployed to Russia they were augmented with a weapons accompanying company at each battalion, three AT companies, and two 20mm AA companies. Were these units form Alpine units or were regular army units assigned to the Alpine divisions?

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”