Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Mussolini in Piazza Loreto

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.

Mussolini in Piazza Loreto

Postby Mollydog on 13 May 2008 22:25

I came across this image at:

http://www.historylink101.com/ww2_color ... T0618.html

My question is, is this a real colour photo of Mussolini after he was taken down from the garage? I’ve never seen a colour photo of the event of the 29th of April 1945 before and to be honest, to me it does not look like Mussolini.

cesare
Mollydog
United Kingdom

Re: Mussolini in Piazza Loreto

Postby David Thompson on 14 May 2008 03:07

Mollydog -- Our readers require more of a warning than you have given in your post. The photograph is disturbingly graphic, and Mussolini's face has been so brutally disfigured as to place the picture in the "for necro-voyeurs only" category.
David Thompson
Forum Staff
United States

Postby FRANCY RITTER on 14 May 2008 05:51

David Thompson wrote:Mollydog -- Our readers require more of a warning than you have given in your post. The photograph is disturningly graphic, and Mussolini's face has been so brutally disfigured as to place the picture in the "for necro-voyeurs only" category.

I agreed with David :(
FRANCY RITTER
Italy

Postby Potsdamerplatz on 14 May 2008 11:35

The photograph is genuine. I've seen a similar one in b/w and there can be no doubt the two are almost identical, although taken from slightly different angles. Mussolini's autopsy report and photographs also make for interesting reading if you don't mind skipping a few meals due to loss of appetite afterwards. The description of his head and facial injuries is like something out of one of the Saw movies. :wink:

Kind regards.
The truth is that you're a quiet, sensitive type, but if I'm prepared to take a chance I might just get to know the inner you: witty, adventurous, passionate, loving, loyal, a little bit crazy, a little bit bad, but, hey, don't us girls just love that?
Potsdamerplatz
Former member
United Kingdom

Postby fschock on 17 Dec 2008 22:21

While this picture of Mussolini and his mistress Clara looks to me to be real, I too doubt that it was a color photo even though Kodachrome and Ektachrome were available in 1940 and 1942 respectively. Every photograph I've every seen on the Internet (http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ILDUCE/Mussolini.htm), "Death of Mussolini" on Youtube.com and in my uncle's original photograph collection, show the scenes in B & W. I wonder if colorizing a B & W might have commercial value? Another point: when Mussolini and Clara were hanging from their ankles, no tags had been placed on them. When they were in their wooden coffins in the morgue, the tags had been attached to the lids for obvious reasons. Also note that Mussolini is wearing a jacket in the Piazza photo. In the coffin photos, the jacket had been removed.
fschock
United States

Return to Italy under Fascism 1922-1945